New Ottawa team to be called Voyageurs!

Treppy

Yes, it's true! From today's Ottawa Citizen:

Fans support Voyageurs, logo is next

It will take more than a name change to make Ottawa baseball fans forget about the on-field product in 2008, but it’s a start for the second-year Can-Am Baseball League franchise.

Fans have shown their support to change the name from Rapidz to Voyaguers for the upcoming season.

“We have given the community a voice and they have selected the Voyageurs as their preferred choice,” said Barry Robinson, general manager of the Ottawa Voyageurs.

Now fans can have a say about a potential logo. Complete details of the logo contest can be found at www.ottawavoyageursbaseball.com or by calling 613-741-0777.

Deadline for entries is next Wednesday. Ottawa will open its 2009 regular season at home on May 28 against the New Jersey Jackals. part of a seven-game homestand, which includes a visit by the Atlantic City Surf.

Okay, they're talking baseball, not soccer, but I thought it was pretty cool to have a team in Ottawa called the Voyageurs, at least for a year or two, until they fold like every other baseball team here has done.

quote:Originally posted by Alex M

The Lynx failed, the Rapidz were a moderate success but the city jacked up the rent something like 10x (100k to a million) and just made it impossible to run it, but the people showed up enough for the league to want to run a team here.

Did they really raise the rent though. I'd heard there were discussions on the subject and that figure may have been thrown around but I seem to recall the city saying it was never actually a proposal, just talk.

My feeling was that the Rapidz were looking for a way out and that this way a way to get out.

I'm not saying this was in fact the case but that was my gut feeling upon reading the story.

B

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Did they really raise the rent though. I'd heard there were discussions on the subject and that figure may have been thrown around but I seem to recall the city saying it was never actually a proposal, just talk.

My feeling was that the Rapidz were looking for a way out and that this way a way to get out.

I'm not saying this was in fact the case but that was my gut feeling upon reading the story.

B

... and here is a story on the subject from last October. It was all very fuzzy.

http://www2.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/sports/story.html?id=1ecde8e5-ab5e-4f78-80de-648bc63fe9a5&p=1

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

Has anyone on this board registered a trademark for The Voyageurs? I know the Cracker Cats had some issues with their name in Edmonton when they first came out and had to fork over some cash to a folk band with the same name.

This is a good point. Does anybody have the answer?

^ I should have checked before I posted. The CIPO website indicates that there is a trademark, "Les Voyageurs" registered in favour of the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel relating to bar, lounge and restaurant services. I stayed there in November during the hotel strike and don't remember the bar, maybe it was shut down. The good news is that "The Voyageurs" doesn't appear to be registered. So if someone wants to shell out the fee ($250 upon application + $200 if accepted), an application can be made. It might result in a dispute with Fairmont, something the more confrontation types on this board might enjoy.

Archived