No Gold Cup Group for Canada

Sam

This certainly isn't a surprise. The USA, with help from Mexico and Trinidad run CONCACAF and they're not about to let Canada get anything. I've said it before, only in CONCACRAP would one country be allowed to host the continental championship EVERY F***ING YEAR.

Do we know why we're not hosting the group? Is it because the CSA couldn't find enough change between the couch cushions to rent BMO for nine matches, or is it because CONCACAF wanted nothing to do with it regardless of what pitch the CSA made?

Let's not point fingers until we know what actually went on.

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

Do we know why we're not hosting the group? Is it because the CSA couldn't find enough change between the couch cushions to rent BMO for nine matches, or is it because CONCACAF wanted nothing to do with it regardless of what pitch the CSA made?

Let's not point fingers until we know what actually went on.

I'm with Bob here. I think the gun is being jumped on this one. Lets get a straight answer out of somebody who is making decisions, be it CONCACAF, CSA or otherwise before we deliver a verdict. I've got a feeling that this decision rests entirely with SUM.

CONCACAF doesn't choose a Canadian venue and it's the CSA's fault?

CONCACAF chooses wherever it wants to hold its venues and it must be advantageous

to the main holders, USA and Mexico. You know it, and I know it.

When was the last time it was held in Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, or even T&T?

How much payola do we expect the CSA to pony up for a corrupt tournament?

quote:Originally posted by Tonka

I'm with Bob here. I think the gun is being jumped on this one. Lets get a straight answer out of somebody who is making decisions, be it CONCACAF, CSA or otherwise before

we deliver a verdict. I've got a feeling that this decision rests entirely with SUM.

I got this info from a CSA official I promise it's legit.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Just like the other CONCACAF nations for that matter...

But we have so many levels of incompetence, I think we take the cake. Especially seeing as economically we are top 3 with Mexico and USA and we are'nt close to them in Nat funding etc etc, lot of reasons why we are a running joke. sigh

quote:Originally posted by villus

But we have so many levels of incompetence, I think we take the cake. Especially seeing as economically we are top 3 with Mexico and USA and we are'nt close to them in Nat funding etc etc, lot of reasons why we are a running joke. sigh

But your post show your incomprehension of the situation. My point was that other CONCACAF countries didn't hosted a group as well because the people who are running CONCACAF aren't interested in giving them a group...just like us.

I find it hard to believe that no one else bids for the Gold Cup. Surely Mexico could easily hold the Gold Cup, and I'm sure many other countries would love to have it. I really doubt there are other countries like this one that aren't interested in hosting a tournament of this importance.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

But are we not entitled to representation on the CONCACAF committee that makes these decisions? And if we had our act together, and had strong representation on that committee, and could show it that we both wanted to host a group and were capable of doing so, would that not give us a MUCH better chance than we have now? (At the moment it is my perception that the CSA does not even want to host a group, but if somebody else knows otherwise, please share.)

Villus's point is a good one. We SHOULD be capable of hosting a group and if we had our act together, I'm sure we could make it happen.

Loyola, your need to continually insult other posters just because their views are different from yours is getting extremely tiresome. Despite what you might think, you don't know it all, Jack.

Where was the insult? "Incomprehension" is an insult now?

Where did I say we aren't able to host a group? I wanted this group in Toronto like everybody else and if they were talk about this possibility is because the CSA approached CONCACAF about this idea.

The fact that we aren't hosting it is corrupt CONCACAF related. What else could the CSA do to have this group? The decision rely on SUM and their interests. I'm not sure how we can put the blame on the CSA when we have no idea of what was discuss bdetween the CSA, CONCACAF and SUM.

People love to blame the CSA for everything. On MNT results we have some basis (results, coach hiring, prep) to base our criticism on, but on this GC issue we have no information except for the fact the CSA was interested in hosting a group in Toronto (this was first talk about during the 2007 U-20 WC).

I don't know you, but if you don't like my posts just ignore it.

Your right I dont comprehend the situation. I don't comprehend why you would defend the CSA. Concacaf may be corrupt, but its the job of the individual associations to bring attention to that matter and because we don't we are a joke. The other associations may be a joke as well but at least they win games once in a while. Now do you comprehend my point?

quote:Originally posted by villus

Your right I dont comprehend the situation. I don't comprehend why you would defend the CSA. Concacaf may be corrupt, but its the job of the individual associations to bring attention to that matter and because we don't we are a joke. The other associations may be a joke as well but at least they win games once in a while. Now do you comprehend my point?

No one is arguing about the general state of the CSA. We all agree it's a mess but the current situation about the GC isn't the best example of CSA failure. It's even a rare example of a positive move by the CSA because they were proactive in trying to get a group here (some talks about 2011 GC being more likely).

Things being what they are (the tournament always held in the USA because it makes sense business wise for SUM) it was always going to be a long shot to get that group here.

Agree that CONCACAF associations should bring attention about the corrupt CONCACAF and they should be really comfortable in complaining to Sepp and FIFA, a fair and balance organisation who's been fighting corruption for a long time now ;)

Archived