Rob Friend on 'Full-time' 22/02/2009 10 pm PST

SthMelbRed

For Immediate Release: February 16, 2009

Borussia Monchengladbach and Canadian International player Rob Friend joins

Full-Time: Vancouver's Soccer Show

Vancouver, BC, Canada - Rob Friend has scored 21 goals in 38 games this season with German club Borussia Monchengladbach, yet he has only managed 2 goals in 22 appearances for Canada. Is it the coaching? The style of play? The teammates? We'll ask Rob Friend these questions when he joins Tyler Green and Mike Martignago on Sunday, February 22nd at 10pm PST. Plus, Full-Time will get Rob's thoughts on life in the Bundesliga, his newest teammate Paul Stalteri, and what he has learned from German great, Oliver Neuville.

Also on Sunday, Tyler Green and Mike Martignago will break down the Final 16 of the Champions League. It all happens this Sunday, February 22nd at 10pm PST, Full-Time: Vancouver's Soccer Show.

Full-Time features leading soccer analysts from Europe and North America, along with players, coaches and managers from around the world in a fast-paced sports talk format, with entertaining interviews and informative segments.

For more information, visit http://www.team1040.ca/shows/soccer_show/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Rob Friend has scored 21 goals in 38 games this season with German club Borussia Monchengladbach, yet he has only managed 2 goals in 22 appearances for Canada. Is it the coaching? The style of play? The teammates?"

I like the move away from "soft reporting". I only hope that they have the same no-holds-barred approach with the actual interview, so we are not left with the usual fan-dom style piece that we get so bloody often on CMNT players.

Thanks for the news!

quote:

"Rob Friend has scored 21 goals in 38 games this season with German club Borussia Monchengladbach, yet he has only managed 2 goals in 22 appearances for Canada. Is it the coaching? The style of play? The teammates?"

uh, Maybe its Rob. Maybe Rob can't handle the pressure. Success at club level means nothing when you can't handle the mental aspects of WCQ. Service wasnt as good as in the Gold Cup, but he had his chances, and failed each and every time. Gerba, a lesser player skill wise, was more successful. Ever wonder why that is Rob?

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

uh, Maybe its Rob. Maybe Rob can't handle the pressure. Success at club level means nothing when you can't handle the mental aspects of WCQ. Service wasnt as good as in the Gold Cup, but he had his chances, and failed each and every time. Gerba, a lesser player skill wise, was more successful. Ever wonder why that is Rob?

He wasnt coached and utilized properly in the WCQ.

^ Skip over the troll's post and responding to BrennanFan. ---

^^

Half wit coach has a lot to do with it.

He plays in the biggest match of his career, opening home game in the Bundesliga on Sunday, August 17th. He scores, in a losing effort (3-1 loss to Stuttgart) and plays a tough 90 minutes. He starts on Wednesday against Mexico and is less than effective. Think he might have been TIRED coach?

So, next round, he has the full week off (after scoring in a HUGE win against Bremen in round 3), and Mitchell the genius sits his ass down, starts Gerba and even puts Hume in over Friend when Radzinski came out. We know how well that worked out.

Rob Friend can play. Mitchell can't coach.

And given what we've seen from the players, do you really think the players are choking under pressure. What f*ing pressure? There has to be the fear of consequences for there to be any pressure in our WCQ matches. I haven't seen any.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I also like that this show at least (unlike another one Ben :D) is willing to ask some hard questions. However, their stats on Friend are wrong. He has scored 5 goals in 19 games this season. Last year in the second Bundesliga he scored 18 goals in 33 games.

I think there is a lot of promise to this show. I wish they would cut back on the European stuff and do more local and Canadian stories. If I were a Whitecaps fan I'd be pretty frustrated by Full Time so far...

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Skip over the troll's post and responding to BrennanFan. ---

^^

Half wit coach has a lot to do with it.

He plays in the biggest match of his career, opening home game in the Bundesliga on Sunday, August 17th. He scores, in a losing effort (3-1 loss to Stuttgart) and plays a tough 90 minutes. He starts on Wednesday against Mexico and is less than effective. Think he might have been TIRED coach?

So, next round, he has the full week off (after scoring in a HUGE win against Bremen in round 3), and Mitchell the genius sits his ass down, starts Gerba and even puts Hume in over Friend when Radzinski came out. We know how well that worked out.

Rob Friend can play. Mitchell can't coach.

Nice attempt to defend Rob poor performance.

Michael Bradley played on Saturday Feb 7 with BM, scored 2 goals on wednesday with the US against Mexico, came back and scored again against Werder Bremen on Saturday 14. Donovan also played the same week end with Munich (as a sub) but on the Sunday and then started against Mexico. Tim Howard and Clint Dempsey also played the week end prior to the Mexico game. Why it doesn't affect the USA players is beyond me.

Anyways, if Rob was really tired and didn't feel like he would be effective he had to tell the coaching staff about it.

The "Dale Mitchell" defense has been overused to explain Rob performances.

^ To each his own. Big difference between a sub appearance, mid-season, and playing 90 minutes in the home opener, but you can hold hands with Mitchell and blame the player(s).

^ I think there is some merit to what Ed is saying, but reading about the USA-Mexico result has me frustrated.

Why are the Americans so much better than us? Because their players come to play, and play their best when they play for their country. Bradley scores twice against Mexico. Is he any more influential on BM than Friend or Stalteri? Gooch was a miserable failure at Newcastle, but is dominant for the USNT. Same as Donovan and Beasley - not effective in Europe, but dominant when they wear the red, white and blue. Bocanegra couldn't get a game in Fulham's back four during their push away from relegation (a back 4 Stalteri featured regularly in), yet plays well for the NT.

Probably oversimplifying things, but frustrating nonetheless.

Comon, Bradley plays 90 min one week end, travel across the ocean to play Mexico midweek and scored 2 goals, then fly back to Germany to play on the full 90 the next Saturday and scored again. After all that travel he must of been tired for the 3rd game but he still performed.

This isn't about who's at fault for the general Canada performance, it's about why Friend didn't performed as expected. Fatigue is a possible excuse (every player is different) but the point is that some players seems able to do it with the USA so if Rob was too tired to play only himself should,ve known that and he should've told the coaching staff about it. IMO, he was probably fresh and ready to go but just had a bad game, stuff like that happens all the time.

I still maintain the players as well as Mitchell are responsible for the debacle so please don't make it sound like I'm the bad guy siding with the ennemy.....

I have watched a fair bit of Rob Friend with BM this season and have asked myself the question, why can't he score more with Canada? I've come to the conclusion it is a number of factors, the main one being poor service, he gets a lot more chances with BM! Some of this has to be put down as tactics which in effect is coaching, to be used to his full ability he needs good service and either an attacking MF or strike partner playing with him! Some of it may be confidence, he has had a few near misses with Canada! In my opinion he is the real deal and by far our best striking option if used properly!

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I think there is a lot of promise to this show. I wish they would cut back on the European stuff and do more local and Canadian stories. If I were a Whitecaps fan I'd be pretty frustrated by Full Time so far...

I was pretty impressed when they got an interview with Phil Brown of Hull City (the only time I have heard the program, by the way). Granted, it's with a guy who loves the limelight where and when he can it, but that's big step over the usual stuff I hear and watch on other programs here. Perhaps they already do this, but it would enhance the European content if they could get a weekly segment with a British or other European journalist who actually works on the football beat, actively interviewing playing, coaching and support staff. Much better than North American based guys getting their info second and third hand while cruising the Web.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I was pretty impressed when they got an interview with Phil Brown of Hull City (the only time I have heard the program, by the way). Granted, it's with a guy who loves the limelight where and when he can it, but that's big step over the usual stuff I hear and watch on other programs here. Perhaps they already do this, but it would enhance the European content if they could get a weekly segment with a British or other European journalist who actually works on the football beat, actively interviewing playing, coaching and support staff. Much better than North American based guys getting their info second and third hand while cruising the Web.

I have no problem with that original stuff either. My issue is that they spend about 50 per cent of the show just running down the past week's results "In FA Cup action..." That time would be better suited with a Whitecaps update, or something Canadian.

Euro news/interviews should be the gravy of Canadian soccer programs, not the meat. Like you said, we can get our European news a lot of different places, but it sometimes seems like we can't get our local news anywhere. I would suggest that Full Time is missing a big part of its potential market by ignoring the home team.

If i was going to single somebody out on that team Canada, it most likely wouldn't have been friend.

Compared to the team we saw in the Gold cup, we struggled mightily to work the ball up the field. I think it's inherrently obvious what Rob Friend does. Great in the air, great holding up the ball, can play with the ball at his feet but generally does not create his own industry. Whatever the plan was for the midfield and creating chances, it completely sh!t the bed. If there was a cohernent plan to actually get this guy the ball in the box (or maybe the final 3rd of the field for starters)I'd assume he would have been effective.

But let's just dump on all our players, except for the guy who scored a comple of meaningless goals once it was too late and is too much of an odd-job to hold down a club spot for more than 6 months.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

^ I think there is some merit to what Ed is saying,

I dont think so. We are falling into that same age old trap of over rating our talent and disrepecting not fully appreciating our opponents. And when things dont go right, the well it must be the CSA, the coach, etc etc....right? I do agree the coach must go, no arguments there for me. And, as always, the CSA deserves a share of the blame.

But Freind did not produce and what I saw of him in WCQ did not change my views of him as player and prospect from the time that I first saw him playing for our U20's in Argentina. But going into WCQ, I began to slightly second guess myself and that was influence by what I gather here and not necessarily on what I had seen of him .

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Is he any more influential on BM than Friend or Stalteri?

I would say that he definitely is. And I believe that any neutral observer would agree. Bradley scored something like 15-20 goals last in Holland. Thats very impressive when you consider that he is a midfielder and how young he is.

^ Bradley sh*t the bed when he arrived in 'Gladbach and has accomplished SFA until only a couple of games ago. To say he is more influential than Friend is total fabrication. Bradley has 2 goals in 14 appearances, Friend has 5 in 20; nobody else on the team has more than 2 goals (and this team only has 20 goals total). Bradly might be by the end of the season but he certainly hasn't earned that accolade to date.

Mind you, a 'neutral observer' I am not.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Newsflash: there is NO potential market involving the home team as it pertains to a radio show. Seriously, there would be no footy show on the Team 1040 if it were not geared towards the international side of things.

Yep. There wasn't a market in Toronto for domestic soccer prior to 2005 either.

We don't know if there is a market until we try it. I'm a little sick of the “we have to talk about Europe or no one will listen" attitude. The Soccer Show is increasingly more Canadian. It's Called Football is finding a market and The Footy Show podcast is making noise about getting more Canuck. I would think that Vancouver, a city with a long history of support for the game, would be able to support a show that did a little more than rehash EPL scores.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ Bradley sh*t the bed when he arrived in 'Gladbach and has accomplished SFA until only a couple of games ago. To say he is more influential than Friend is total fabrication. Bradley has 2 goals in 14 appearances, Friend has 5 in 20; nobody else on the team has more than 2 goals (and this team only has 20 goals total). Bradly might be by the end of the season but he certainly hasn't earned that accolade to date.

Mind you, a 'neutral observer' I am not.

But Bradley is 21 years old, skippered his U20 national side to a solid quarter final place at WYC, capped on his senior national team as a teenager, and is a central Mid fielder who can score goals. The facts speak for themselves and the latter part is a very rare and high sought attribute in any player in the world game.

To suggest that we have players of that pedigree and accomplishment, at that age, is laughable. None of us are neutral observer but at some level it does us squat if we cant put things into perspective.

Loyola was spot on in questioning why the fatigue excuse only applies to players Friend but not players like Bradley. The real reason is that Bradley is quite simply a far better soccer player who probably hasn't even reached his full potential. That's the number one reason why we are not still playing in WCQ. But if you are going to believe such things as: "To say Bradley is more influential than Friend is total fabrication," then we might as well start up our " "fire the next MNT coach before he is even hired" discussions .

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But Bradley is 21 years old, skippered his U20 national side to a solid quarter final place at WYC, capped on his senior national team as a teenager, and is a central Mid fielder who can score goals. The facts speak for themselves and the latter part is a very rare and high sought attribute in any player in the world game.

To suggest that we have players of that pedigree and accomplishment, at that age, is laughable. None of us are neutral observer but at some level it does us squat if we cant put things into perspective.

Loyola was spot on in questioning why the fatigue excuse only applies to players Friend but not players like Bradley. The real reason is that Bradley is quite simply a far better soccer player who probably hasn't even reached his full potential. That's the number one reason why we are not still playing in WCQ. But if you are going to believe such things as: "To say Bradley is more influential than Friend is total fabrication," then we might as well start up our " "fire the next MNT coach before he is even hired" discussions .

Bradley still has a lot to prove. He may surpass Robs achievements someday but Rob is one of the main reasons BM are even in the bundesliga this season. I don't think there are many who would belive Bradley is more important to the team then Friend.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

But let's just dump on all our players, except for the guy who scored a comple of meaningless goals once it was too late and is too much of an odd-job to hold down a club spot for more than 6 months.

I think they were a lot of factors which all came together at the wrong time to create a perfect sh*tstorm of inepititude, sad to say. There's a helluva people you could throw under the bus for getting only two points in six matches.

The whole debate was about the fatigue excuse not a Friend vs Bradley debate but I'll add my 2 cents.

BM is dead last in the Bundesliga so it must be hard to find out who really is influential for this team. Neither of them have amazing stats but if you look at their careers I think the most impressive CV is belonging to Bradley. Of course it was impressive for Friend to score that many goals in B2 last year but Bradley did the same in a stronger league as an offensive mid, not even as a striker. Friend did struggled to make an impact in the very same league with Heracles Almelo and Heerenveen. Ok, Bradley isn't turning into a crazy goalscorer just yet with BM but maybe it has something to do with adapting to the playing style, a stronger league and his new teammates.

In the end, if I had a choice to take one of those two im my team, Bradley would be a no brainer specially with his stamina and ability to avoid jet lagging. ;)

Well I don't know what you mean by "we" because I don't think you really have a clue as to what is going on out here on the wet coast.

But continue on as you do, the market won't change as long as there is only a USL side in the mix, just ask Robbie Gray.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Yep. There wasn't a market in Toronto for domestic soccer prior to 2005 either.

We don't know if there is a market until we try it. I'm a little sick of the “we have to talk about Europe or no one will listen" attitude. The Soccer Show is increasingly more Canadian. It's Called Football is finding a market and The Footy Show podcast is making noise about getting more Canuck. I would think that Vancouver, a city with a long history of support for the game, would be able to support a show that did a little more than rehash EPL scores.

^Bah. Bradley is an accident waiting to happen. Good player mind you, I'll agree that part but that's about where I end the agreement. The jury is still out on him in my books.

Of course I'd say the same thing of Friend except that our Mr. Friend is one of those special target strikers who if you can use him effectively (and the MNT may or may not be able to do that, all things considered) is the type of player who can totally disrupt an opponents defending formations. No? That's a very rare gift. We just need to learn how to use it to our advantage and I think we can.

He's got a nose for goal and is good in the air and there are two things you can't teach no matter how good your coaching is. Height and speed.

Man, you either got it or you don't. And there is no denying Friend has height and can use it to effect.

P.S. We could flesh out our opinions of these players a lot better if GolTV would just get a few more 'gladbach matches on air, eh?

Archived