Melo and Reda show up in Vancouver

masster

What an interesting camp this year - rarely would you see a championship side try so many new faces - but obviously it just underscores their goals for the future and, to a certain extent, their commitment towards giving capable Canadians a decent chance to prove themselves worthy of playing for a Canadian side.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

What an interesting camp this year - rarely would you see a championship side try so many new faces - but obviously it just underscores their goals for the future and, to a certain extent, their commitment towards giving capable Canadians a decent chance to prove themselves worthy of playing for a Canadian side.

I may get smoked for this, but I think they're following what the Impact did last season. And good on 'em. Should continue to be a tight contest for the Voyageur's Cup.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why this thread was moved. I was updating everybody on a former national team player and a current youth national team player. The title of the thread is 'Melo and Reda show up in Vancouver'. It is about the players and not the Whitecaps.

Does that mean we move the 'Hainault to Houston' thread into the MLS secion? There was a thread on Dero's trade to Toronto in the MNT section. I guess that should have been moved as well?

Some comments from Teitur make it sound like they are interested in signing Reda.

I can't believe the guy is 31. He plays like he is ancient.

http://www2.canada.com/theprovince/news/sports/story.html?id=ba3c453b-554f-44f4-a60c-a9f2e7a39242

Battery loss, Caps gain

Marc Weber, The Province

Published: Friday, February 13, 2009

The Vancouver Whitecaps were looking for another experienced central defender. They didn't expect one to fall into their lap.

Canadian international Marco Reda of Woodbridge, Ont., became available last week after Vancouver's USL-1 rivals, Charleston Battery, released him.

Reda, 31, was Charleston's captain last year. He was told he was coming back and all set to pack up until an e-mail explained otherwise. The Whitecaps jumped at the chance to invite him to camp.

"I was surprised at the news," said Caps head coach Teitur Thordarson. "He was very good in the games against us last year, so when I heard he was available I wanted to get him in here and see how he fits in.

"We've been looking for more alternatives at centre back. We have Mason [Trafford] and Luca [bellisomo] but we don't know yet what way that will develop and I feel we need to have one more proven centre back in the squad."

Hulking St. Vincent international Wesley Charles is back, and the Caps have added another two-by-four in former Portland Timbers standout Justin Thompson of North Vancouver.

Reda played 1,730 minutes in 21 games last season, picking up one assist for the 11-12-7 Battery. He spent 2007 with Toronto FC but injuries limited him to eight appearances.

Prior to his TFC stint, he played in top-flight leagues in Norway and Denmark, and he's been capped seven times, the last in January 2008.

What can he bring to the Caps?

"I'm old," he said, laughing. "'Experienced', I guess that's what they say now.

"I bring a voice at the back, a little leadership. And it's good playing with these younger players who can do all the running for me."

Reda will play in today's game against Trinity Western University (3 p.m., Burnaby Lake) and it sounds like negotiations could be swift.

mweber@theprovince.com

I think Reda will help the Caps and he is massively underrated on this forum. He had an injury plagued season at TFC and only played 8 games. If TFC had given him the same time and leeway that they gave Velez and Marshall he would have been better than either. He played quite well for a decent USL side last year.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I think Reda will help the Caps and he is massively underrated on this forum. He had an injury plagued season at TFC and only played 8 games. If TFC had given him the same time and leeway that they gave Velez and Marshall he would have been better than either. He played quite well for a decent USL side last year.

I'm curious as to why he was released by Charleston. However, I hope things turn out well for him in Vancouver.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

He's an ex-CMNT player so according to some on here that means if he fails it must be because the coach made a mistake. :) In reality no amount of patience would have made up for his relative lack of pace and his career was effectively over at the MLS level when the KC Wizards exposed that weakness in his game for all to see very early on in the first season. He's in USL-D1 because that's his level within the game. A very high standard and worthy of great respect but not quite good enough for MLS. There's a reason why no other MLS team made a move to try to get him unlike what happened with Andy Boyens after all.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why this thread was moved. I was updating everybody on a former national team player and a current youth national team player. The title of the thread is 'Melo and Reda show up in Vancouver'. It is about the players and not the Whitecaps.

Does that mean we move the 'Hainault to Houston' thread into the MLS secion? There was a thread on Dero's trade to Toronto in the MNT section. I guess that should have been moved as well?

Hello??? Anybody home???

This is precisely why this thread should have been in the MNT section.

Archived