Ottawa's MLS bid gets boost

Gloucester in FLA

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for one thing, Garber, according to the quote, did not put a year beside his remark. It could be taken then that he means at some point in the future and not necessarily in 2011.

These are a couple questions for the Ottawa Vs. What is the sport attitude like in Ottawa? Do any of you think MLS in Ottawa is viable?

i have two different feelings about this story. 1st: ya its deinfitly a great sign to have the faith of the MLS commish saying he wouldnt be able to say no to ottawa with a stadium

but on the other hand (and i hate to say my more realistic view): Garber saying this so that ottawa builds a stdium so they have a shot but then picking someone else and ottawa and the city (and the taxpayers) having to foot the tab of a SSS that has no real tenant.

I just have a hard time beleiving the MLS commish can come out and make an announcment like that. Now to be fair, with the economic situation that it is and hearing some of those rumours about other potention expansion franchises having potential issues it makes it a little more beleivable but it still seems weird for the commish to just come out and play favourites like this. If we built a stadium and he didnt follow through he'd really be eating his words and someone's going to have to pay the bill.

^^ fair enough to give the city a boost in its bid. My only issue with the statement is that it sounds too much like a promise.

And Tuscan, you make a very good point when you say he doesnt put a year on the statement. It gives it a bit more breathign room for sure.

One thing i've definitly been hearing and reading around here in Ottawa is that it will likely be one or the other (soccer or CFL) The CFL has obviously failed on a few occasions here and who knows what would happen if they tried again. To be fair it has likely been a large part because of lack of strong/smart ownership and Melnyk certainly has shown with his ownership of the Sens that he would probably go all in to whichever investment he made. He's a smart and passionate business man and although I'm not a sens fan, its likely because of him that the sens are actualyl still here (a few years ago before the sens had any success they definitly werent the hottest ticket in town)

I guess i've sort of started to ramble, but i guess what I'm trying to say is that MLS could probably work here as long as the owner of the franchise was willing to lose money and not fill the stadium when the team wasnt doing well for a while. Another issue is the stadium itself. When the original Kanata stadium plan was introduced it was met with a lot of dissapointment due to the location (very far from the core of the city, nto easy to get to via public transpo)

The quote: "It’s highly unlikely and almost inconceivable that with a stadium deal in place we would not grant an expansion team to Ottawa,” Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber said yesterday."

That quote should turn some heads. That puts this group in an extremely good position and a really big boost for Ottawa. Which proves that if you pay what is asked and do what is asked, you will get in. But if you don't want to pay and / or if you cant build a stadium, Well.....

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The quote: "It’s highly unlikely and almost inconceivable that with a stadium deal in place we would not grant an expansion team to Ottawa,” Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber said yesterday."

Garber is a used car salesman. Only driven slowly, by a little old lady, on Sunday's to church on sunny days. He is just saying whatever he wants to keep all the bidders happy. Hype up one and all but in the end they'll pick 2.

I think this is a clear message that MLS wants to be #1 in a two-horse race with the CFL in Ottawa. If government money is going to be spent on a stadium, I think it will be acceptable to one or the other...not both. I doubt if MLS will go if the CFL is still on in Ottawa.

Even though I enjoy the CFL a lot (I researched a documentary series on it and go to a few BC Lions games ), I don't see it working again in Ottawa in this economy. But, as a true football fan, I think MLS has a better chance of succeeding in Ottawa with their relatively lower costs and equal fan base (Let's face it...21,000 CFL fans would be a money loser for Ottawa. 17,000-21,000 for MLS would be a money maker.)

If the government is spending taxpayer dollars on stadiums, then MLS is a safer bet in Ottawa than a third round of the CFL. It all depends on if governments vote with their heads or hearts.

quote:

Garber is a used car salesman. Only driven slowly, by a little old lady, on Sunday's to church on sunny days. He is just saying whatever he wants to keep all the bidders happy. Hype up one and all but in the end they'll pick 2.

And with my point above I somewhat agree with this assessment as well. However, whether it's 2 or 3 or even 6, it's going to be completely up to the existing owners...not Mr. Commissioner.

I think that Garber gets dollar signs in his eyes every time he talks with Melnyk. Perhaps they are businessmen from the same mold, so to speak. I think Garber believes that Melnyk is the right kind of guy to own an MLS franchise, the type of businessman that he wants MLS owners to be, and therefore is doing a lot of hype work for the Ottawa bid. It will be interesting to see what happens with the CFL franchise. I could definitely see Ottawa getting in to MLS in 2013 depending on the success of the possible CFL franchise.

I believe that the CFL is starting to see that they might be slowly starting to roll down a steady slope in massive markets like Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal (although the Allouettes do seem to be staying steady). Alliteration overload. As much as we need our Canadian leagues to stay strong, I personally hope to live long enough to see pro soccer clubs in every major Canadian city, either USL or MLS. If it means the CFL is partially cannibalized, I guess we'll have to suck it up.

quote:Ottawa is a dark horse, but I'm really hoping the Biovail team can pull this off. Ottawa getting a team would really add to Canada's soccer landscape.

Melnyk is no longer associated with Biovail, other than as a shareholder. He lost a proxy battle last summer and was pretty much tossed out. They have spent the last six months trying to clean up the mess he left behind.

http://www.biovail.com/english/Investor%20Relations/Latest%20News/default.asp?s=1&state=showrelease&releaseid=1169506

Listening to Garber's car salesman act lately, I am not surprised he gets along with Melnyk.

As much as I support this bid in the sense that they appear to be legitimizing our hopes for another MLS franchise, which IMHO, is one of the most viable options for our youth player development - I have a hard time believing that Ottawa has a supporters' culture that will sustain a successful franchise.

While I can appreciate the success of Womens NT games and the U-20 WYC in Ottawa, I see those as drastically different circumstances to supporting an MLS franchise.

With Montreal and Vancouver having already proven themselves as leading lights in the USL - I feel that the infrastructure and culture is in place to lead to a successful MLS community. (Vancouver stadium pending)

While the Toronto Lynx certainly can't be identified as main catalyst for the success of Toronto FC - the gentlemen from U-Sector, etc... certainly did play a huge part in developing the match-day culture at BMO. Do Ottawa V's think the same could really happen in Ottawa?

I suppose the hardcore support for the Impact is not as pronounced as Toronto or Vancouver, but the recent success of the club and the emergence of Saputo as a true footballing venue have buoyed the franchise.

In sum: Ottawa....really? I believe Canada needs the MLS, but I fear Ottawa may not be the most appropriate step at this point.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

While the Toronto Lynx certainly can't be identified as main catalyst for the success of Toronto FC - the gentlemen from U-Sector, etc... certainly did play a huge part in developing the match-day culture at BMO. Do Ottawa V's think the same could really happen in Ottawa?

It's all a matter of relativity and what you would consider a success.

Toronto FC's (off the field) success is an incredible feat. What they've got going there is very remarkable and kudos definitely should go to U-Sector, RPB etc. All MLS teams should aspire to what they have.

However, is that something to aspire to or a benchmark for success? 75% of the rest of the teams in MLS don't come close to what they have, so is it reasonable to expect Ottawa to swoop in with the same fervor?

Will Ottawa MLS be popular? I think it could be (provided certain things are done right). Will it be as popular as TFC? I highly doubt it. Will it be any worse than Colorado or pre-championship Columbus? I don't think so.

I think TFC's off-field success has set expectations a little too high for new teams coming in, especially ones in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Soro17

Melnyk is no longer associated with Biovail, other than as a shareholder. He lost a proxy battle last summer and was pretty much tossed out. They have spent the last six months trying to clean up the mess he left behind.

http://www.biovail.com/english/Investor%20Relations/Latest%20News/default.asp?s=1&state=showrelease&releaseid=1169506

Listening to Garber's car salesman act lately, I am not surprised he gets along with Melnyk.

Melnyck founded BVF and is also the largest single share-holder of the company. He may have lost this recent proxy battle, but he will forever be associated with BVF for the above reasons.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto MB

As a proud (non) card holding U-sector I appreciate the sentiment. And certainly U-Sector's leadership deserve a lot of credit for all that they have done to make BMO what it is today.

But so do RBP. And RPB came out of nowhere. Who is to say that there isn't a RPB group waiting to happen in Ottawa?

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

As a proud (non) card holding U-sector I appreciate the sentiment. And certainly U-Sector's leadership deserve a lot of credit for all that they have done to make BMO what it is today.

But so do RBP. And RPB came out of nowhere. Who is to say that there isn't a RPB group waiting to happen in Ottawa?

No question in my mind that Ottawa can duplicate the success. Melnyck is a long time soccer supporter and will take whatever measures are required to insure he has a frothy following.

Why all the Melnyk hate? You've got someone who is willing to invest 10s of millions of dollars in soccer infrastructure in this country and all people can talk about are his business dealings with Biovail, how bad a market Ottawa is and that Garber is talking out of his ass. Why can't people just support Canadian soccer and be happy that it's getting more media attention because of Melnyk?

Melnyk is only helping the sport in Canada. Don't let politics get in the way of your view of the city and the people here who care about the sport and want to see it succeed.

from soccerbyives.net

quote:12:52pm- Regarding expansion, Garber said that all five candidates are still in the running. He also revealed that the Miami/Barcelona bid will, in fact, start in 2010 if Miami is chosen as an expansion city.

------------------

12:37pm- Garber poured some cold water on the buzz out of Ottawa that its bid is now a front-runner in the expansion race. He clarified that the Ottawa bid will have a "good chance" of being chosen if a good stadium project is approved.

------------------

I get so excited every time I hear good news out of Ottawa. Having a 4th professional club would be iinvaluable for Canadian soccer.

The success of Toronto FC convinced Melnyk that he should go after MLS for Ottawa. Hopefully the success of Vancouver and Ottawa will convince other big money people to invest in soccer in this country.

The Voyageur's Cup will have 4 teams by 2013...and it will only grow from there.

The big question mark I have about the Ottawa bid, has nothing to do with Melnyk or anything about the bid itself. The question is, how many Americans know what/where Ottawa is? Sure Ottawa has an NHL team, but the majority of Americans don't pay much attention to ice hockey and I'm not sure there's a big overlap between hockey fans and soccer fans down there anyway.

How big a draw would an Ottawa MLS team be when playing in the States? For that matter, how does TFC compare with American MLS teams as a road draw? And how do the Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks compare as draws when playing in the US?

Archived