Hex games begin this week.

superbrad

I don't cheer against the US in soccer -- they face much of the same **** as us and their history is too tied in with us. So, I usually hope they do well. I also can appreciate that Mexico has done well through the years and respect that. Plus it's counterproductive for us to see CONCACAF fail at the World Cup. We want the best teams there so we keep out 3.5 spots (I'd say grow them, but that ain't ever going to happen).

I think Honduras will take the other automatic spot and T&T will once again go to the play-off.

The best thing that can happen to this region is for teams other than Mexico and the US to advance more often. So I'd be quite happy to see either or both fall by the wayside. And the only CONCACAF team I ever want to see do well has already been eliminated - sadly, effectively eliminated before the semi-finals were even half over.

Tomorrow is my birthday when I saw the WCQ schedule a little over a year ago I was looking forward to what would have been an amazing birthday. Instead it looks like I'll be sitting at home watching streams of International friendlies tomorrow :(

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

I don't cheer against the US in soccer -- they face much of the same **** as us and their history is too tied in with us.

Please...you need to stop listening to the whiners on Big Soccer and look at the **** they suffer - Permanent hosts of the regional championship, gifted a World Cup at a time when even getting to the final group in the region was beyond them and of course, the guy who comes closest to being as corrupt as Jack Warner is Chuck Blazer and with that comes the usual regional perks. Since 1988 the US has been given more assistance, breaks and benefits than any nation is the world when it comes to soccer...we should be so lucky as to suffer some of that ****.

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by Gordon

The best thing that can happen to this region is for teams other than Mexico and the US to advance more often. So I'd be quite happy to see either or both fall by the wayside. And the only CONCACAF team I ever want to see do well has already been eliminated - sadly, effectively eliminated before the semi-finals were even half over.

Good for the region, bad for us.

I would rather shovel millions into the US and Mexico rather than the likes of countries that could leap frog us with the money.

If Guatemala ever really gets it together they could be a real force. They have the climate, interest and population.

I cheered for the US in 94 when they hosted the event, they were relative underdogs at the time, I even went to the US-SWISS match at Pontiac and cheered the boys on, things have changed since then though! I can't say I dislike them as much as the central American teams, but I find it hard to support them! Sorry leafdolfan that Dale and the boys ruined your birthday, they ruined many of our plans as well!

Please...you need to stop listening to the whiners on Big Soccer and look at the **** they suffer - Permanent hosts of the regional championship, gifted a World Cup at a time when even getting to the final group in the region was beyond them and of course, the guy who comes closest to being as corrupt as Jack Warner is Chuck Blazer and with that comes the usual regional perks. Since 1988 the US has been given more assistance, breaks and benefits than any nation is the world when it comes to soccer...we should be so lucky as to suffer some of that ****.

I would say that they host the regional tournaments because there is nobody else who could host it. Where else in the region will you get people to show up to watch a neutral game like Haiti versus Cost Rica other than in the US?

As far as getting the WC in 94, well it was a success in pretty much EXACTLY that same fashion that the 2007 WYC was a succcess for Canada. It was well supported and the facilities were first class. The criticism for both USA 94 and Canada 2007 was that the buzz and festive mood ( what ever you want to call it) in the some of the host cities was missing when you left the stadium.

I dont really see the breaks and benefits that the USA gets. They get less vocal support ( in numbers and decibles) for their home games than Canada gets for theirs. Therefore they end up being confined to only Columbus for thier home games.

Please...you need to stop listening to the whiners on Big Soccer and look at the **** they suffer -

I'm talking more about the struggles the sport faces domestically. It's still viewed as "girly" or "un-American" to be a soccer fan in many places in the U.S (in some ways Canada has it better than the U.S. in this regard). I have no doubt that the U.S. has some advantages at the CONCACAF that money and influence buy. If we ever got our $hit together so could we.

Through MLS networking I also have friends that will be standing with Sam's Army tomorrow. So, it's a bit hard to hate.

Make no mistake, however, I have no passionate interest. I simply wish them well. And at the finals I will cheer for every CONCACAF team because it's in our best interest to see the region do well.

If I'm cheering against someone this cycle it's T&T because I do feel there is something suspicious about the draws they are getting. I have an interest in following Honduras because of Amado (something that will really pee off a few of you, I'm sure).

Canada till I die and all that, but we ain't playing. So I can either pout or I can find something of interest to watch. I chose the latter and will be seeking out streams tomorrow night.

whoa,mediaguy, I really like your blog and thought you were a real journo - but letting friendship cloud your views on US soccer is a bit of a letdown.

Personally, I'll be going for Mexico against the US as they truly care about the sport. For the US, it's just one of many things for them on the world stage and the bulk of the population is largely indifferent to outright hostile about the sport.Other than Sam's Army, their support is relatively lame (i.e. soccer mommish) compared to hardcore stuff elsewhere in the region(other than Canada).

Their style of play can be refreshing at times; but mostly non-descript. So, overall nothing to tickle my fancy as a neutral seeking maximum entertainment value.

quote:Originally posted by red card

whoa,mediaguy, I really like your blog and thought you were a real journo - but letting friendship cloud your views on US soccer is a bit of a letdown.

So it would be better if I just went with a knee jerk anti-American approach?

I'm not sure what journalism has to do with this conversation.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

So it would be better if I just went with a knee jerk anti-American approach?

I'm not sure what journalism has to do with this conversation.

I agree with you, media guy, both in regards to red card's comments and to the belief that strong soccer in US = good for soccer in Canada.

I don't think it's a bad thing to support the US, their on field cheating (Landon Donavon excepted) is a lot less than the Central American nations! In the Gold Cup it was poor refreeing decisions that did us in, how many times have we been done in by cheating Hondurans or Guatamalans? It's a shame we aren't in the hex, imagine the interest in a Canada-US qualifying match, home and away!

quote:Originally posted by gator

I don't think it's a bad thing to support the US, their on field cheating (Landon Donavon excepted) is a lot less than the Central American nations! In the Gold Cup it was poor refreeing decisions that did us in, how many times have we been done in by cheating Hondurans or Guatamalans? It's a shame we aren't in the hex, imagine the interest in a Canada-US qualifying match, home and away!

Euh??? You make a reference to a bad ref decision in 2007 but you are alluding to cheating Guats and Hondurans??? I'm not sure about your memory but in 2004, with Honduras it was both time bad ref decision that cost us (Mexican ref and USA ref). I'm not sure why you would refer to them as cheaters, specially when Honduras beat us fair and square twice in 2008.

In 2004, in Burnaby against Guatemala, the worst diver on the field was a canadian (Josh Simpson), not a Guat even if they had Ruiz.

We can complain all we want about time wasting and that kind of tactics by central american teams but the reality of this is that we're seeing it that often because we're loosing to them too often...Time wasting is something everyone does on every continent, even canadians or americans players when they are with their clubs.

^I've seen enough CONCACAF games live and on tv over the years to have a very strong opinion on this matter! I agree there wasn't a whole lot of contreversy this time round, we took care of that with our dreadful performance! If you don't think the Honduran dive in the box in 04 was cheating we're never going to agree! I've watched many games live at the old Varsity and some of the stuff the Costa Ricans have done is apalling! And yes, the refreeing is a big factor if they are going to buy this crap!

quote:Originally posted by gator

^I've seen enough CONCACAF games live and on tv over the years to have a very strong opinion on this matter! I agree there wasn't a whole lot of contreversy this time round, we took care of that with our dreadful performance! If you don't think the Honduran dive in the box in 04 was cheating we're never going to agree! I've watched many games live at the old Varsity and some of the stuff the Costa Ricans have done is apalling! And yes, the refreeing is a big factor if they are going to buy this crap!

The reality is our players dives as well, our players waste time as well. Maybe not as many as some of the central americans do but we have offenders as well. I've seen DeRo trying a few dives, JDG, Simpson. When I was playing Occean and Gerba were diving at the youth level in Quebec. We love to see ourself as hororable and different but I don't think we're that much different to be honest.

BTW, I think the 2004 Honduras dive was poor but you missed the point about Josh Simpson doing the same in our first game against Guatemala. He just wasn't convincing and the ref didn't bought it. So in term of morality, we're not really better, just unlucky with the refs.

^ So what's the answer, learn how to cheat better? I have seen JDG and Dero trying this stuff and I don't like it one bit! We have NO player that could ever compare with Ruiz and he just one of many! I was completely disgusted as I stopped by our local pitch to watch some 7 and 8 year olds play last season to see coaches encouraging this stuff, if that's what we have to do to be competetive, I want no part of it! Just the thought of Ruiz playing for TFC turned me off (remember his elbow to Hastings in the GC) thank goodness he didn't play much for TFC! My whole point is Americans and Canadians play a more honest game than a lot of these nations and I like that! I've always admired players like Jason Devos who just got on with business, these are just my opinions, you don't have to agree!

I just thought your first post was unfair because both sides (USA and central americans) were the recipiendary of bad decisions. And I don't think Honduras or Guatemala deserves to be called cheaters.

BTW, I agree that in general we're diving less than those guys, but the thing is we're also trying it time to time, so are we cheaters? And JDV isn't really a good example for your case as I've rarely seen central americans CB trying to get a FK out of a dive, it's not the position to try such a thing.

I know we don't have to agree but It's a forum where opinions are displayed and people react to it. I just don't like the tendancy we have to clame we're more honest than those guys.

I find it hard to be anything but completely indifferent at this point.

And to be truthful as a neutral I actually don't mind either Mexico or the USA a Hell of a lot these days. At least not until the play acting raises it's ugly head. At about that point my opinion rapidly sinks.

That being said I'd love to see both sides miss South Africa. Not going to happen of course but THAT would be funny.

Guest Jeffery S.

I want all the rest of our rivals to lose always, even in practice. If they have a brawl and break each other's legs better for me, anything to give us a sporting advantage. Since we have such an extreme management and coaching disadvantage I'll take anything we can get.

I always think I'll cheer for a Concacaf team to do well at the World Cup, but usually the deserving minnows come to the fore all alone and I am happy to get behind them, whether Paraguay, Ghana, Turkey, no matter to me.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I find it hard to be anything but completely indifferent at this point.

And to be truthful as a neutral I actually don't mind either Mexico or the USA a Hell of a lot these days. At least not until the play acting raises it's ugly head. At about that point my opinion rapidly sinks.

That being said I'd love to see both sides miss South Africa. Not going to happen of course but THAT would be funny.

^That's what I was thinking as well.

Yeah, the US v Mexico in Columbus tomorrow. That could/should have been us playing tomorrow. I was kind of apathetic to this whole thing until this weekend when I realized that the Hex is starting. Now I'm just angry again.

In the JamboAl World, nobody would ever qualify from CONCACAF, except Canada. In the real world, you just know the US and Mexico are more or less guarantees. Let's just hope it's interesting...like Sven getting sacked tomorrow night or Honduras getting 0 points from the Hex.

Archived