Concern mounts for Setanta as it wins one TV right

red card

The only concern there might be is if Setanta goes under in the UK, it might have to close up shop in the rest of the world where is has a large number of the rights. Although Setanta in North America is in partnership with Sportsnet. So perhaps if it closes up shop in Canada, Sportsnet will continue the channel as Sportsnet Soccer or something. My bigger concern is that Toronto FC now own GolTV. Hopefully they don't stop playing German league games.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I never asked and should have, given this thread I finally will: at the Andorra-England WC qualifier last September in Barcelona the England fans chanted "We hate Setanta" with frequency. I could not figure it out, and still don't get it, especially since England fans usually have plenty of other things to sing and chant. Any explanations?

Setanta, or Sultana as they're known, have a Monopoly on EPL tv rights and get the schedule manipulated whichever way they want to suit their TV schedule. When Sky owned all the rights people hated them too. The millions Sky and Setanta have poured into the EPL as well have really screwed up the lower leagues of English football and both are partially responsible for player wages and transfer fees shooting through the roof.

I am very pleased with Setanta. As an avid footie fan, I subscribe to Setanta. The Canadian broadcasters were too much of a gamble to have the games I wanted to see especially since this is "hockey country" (a term I hate since I am a soccer fan and baseball fan). Though I enjoy the odd rugby match on Setanta, I would prefer a total devotion to soccer with repeat games from all leagues, including MLS.

Archived