good article...

NPE

Style of play hurts Canada

By GARETH WHEELER, SUN MEDIA

Many questions have been asked over the years across Canada as to why we can't win in soccer.

The usual excuses of lack of funding, apathy, the governing body and climate are typical answers.

The reason Canada doesn't find consistent success internationally is because there is no defined Canadian way of playing soccer.

Like Canadian culture, our style is a mixed bag, influenced by the multiple ethnic groups and nationalities.

For the nation, the cultural diversity works; for soccer, it doesn't.

If you had to pick one way to describe the way Canadian soccer is played, it would be some kind of hybrid-British style -- defending at all cost and counter-attacking when possible, otherwise known as 'Kick and Run'.

It's the unattractive, old school British way of playing. Even the English have changed for the better.

The British influence within the Canadian Soccer Association and provincially, the Ontario Soccer Association is there for all to see.

But for whatever reason, whether philosophical differences or political nonsense, good soccer minds of other nationalities within Canada have been left out of the equation.

The issue isn't systematic, but problematic nonetheless.

Former national team member Carmen Marcantonio thinks the various ethnic communities haven't stepped up and been active enough at the decision-making level.

"New ideas haven't come and change hasn't been made quick enough-- there is great opportunity there to create something through ideas," Marcantonio said.

Marcantonio, with vast coaching and playing experience in this country, points to the United States as a prime example of a country that has changed its soccer identity, taking the facets of both the European and Central American game.

So without new ideas, the outcome has been predictable; the technical skill of Canadian players hasn't markedly improved.

Cue the arrival of Carolina Morace, the CSA's hire for head coach of the women's national team.

The idea is to have the former Italian international use her coaching and playing pedigree to dictate the way soccer will be played by all women in Canada. She'll have to fight through the fragmentation of ideology of the provinces, but the idea is there.

Morace plans on having an active role at the U-17 level and is taking the reigns of the U-20 program. The formation may change because of personnel, but the style of play will not.

Along with consistency, Morace's focus will be on improving the technical ability of the women in ball possession and movement off the ball.

Just like the men, it's too apparent in major competition that our women aren't technically sound enough to compete with the world's best. When Canada gets the ball, it rarely knows what to do with it.

Canada's early success in women's soccer was more about the lack of quality competition than anything else. The rest of the world now has caught up.

The Canadian program will be strengthened with Morace instilling an Italian style of play -- being defensively sound but also strong and organized with the ball.

Italian coaches are superior with the technical side of the game. It's like a science -- every movement is well thought out. These sorts of intangibles are lost in the development in Canadian soccer.

Canadian teams widely are successful at youth tournaments around North America and the world. That's because winning trumps development.

"Canada has great athletes -- among the best, but we get passed by other countries during the formative years, between 14-17 years of age. Becoming technically sound only comes from training every day in a professional environment," Marcantonio said.

Tactics breeds consistency. It's no coincidence that the men's team, with a group of skilful players, resorted back to a system of kick and run when the going got tough in World Cup qualifying. It's no coincidence the U-20 men's team struggled to create a shot during the U-20 World Cup.

So next on the agenda is for the men's program to find there own Carolina Morace. While Dale Mitchell is the caretaker for a program with lofty ambitions, it's going to take time to find the proper leader who will come in and change the culture of how soccer is played by Men across Canada.

Maybe another Italian coach will do?

Agreed. This is a terrific piece that sums things up very well. We do lack an identity when it comes to playing style and philsophies. Consistenty at all level is key.

To some small extent, our hockey culture may have something to with it. But I especially like Wheeler's example of the United States and how they have been able to forge a culture/play style/basic approach that filters down at all levels. So using the example of the US, proves that there is hope for Canada.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

In the end, the 'Canadian football culture' explanation for our lack of success is too simplistic.

I am not sure about that. The split personalities makes it difficult to evalute, assess and appreciate talent. And, it makes it difficult for coaching. And in a much broader sence, our culture ( Players fans, coaches) is a big impediment to greater success in my opinion.

Its important to have everybody on the same page on what kind of player(s) we want and what kind of team we want. And players in system need to know what is expected of them to succeed and advance. Look no further than the sport of hockey in Canada. we like players who are strong on the puck and can win the puck. Its teh same for mens and womens team and you see overlap in fans who are drawn to both mens and womens hockey. Whereas in Soccer, a crowd at a womens game is totally different to crowd at a mens game.

You cant have a system where the women play one way and the mens play another. Its almost like two different sports out there. You certainly dont see see that withe teh german mens and womens teams and the American mens and womens team. Players, coaches and fans need to all agree on what attributes are most important. I can think of no better example of what Wheeler is talking about than at the last U20 WC. We had players who had good technical skills but very weak on the ball, Players with athleticism, but were weak technically, others who strong physically, but were not athletic nor technically gifted. Its so much easily to build a team when you have one overriding philsophy that everyone agrees on.

One lasting image of the last U20 WC. Nunez ( who didn't have a strong tournament)at one point in the game, decides to take the ball ( shows some decent skills) and makes a decent foray into Chilean territory, but then runs out of options and ends up given the ball away cheaply.

He makes the point that Canadian coaches lack the ability to coordinate a paticular style on our football. I tend to agree as many of our members do. We very obviously need a foreign coach who imposes a style on our national side. That doesn't happen without money. Money doesn't come easy to the CSA who are disjointed because of our provincial system...etc etc etc. Too simplistic to say its just 'cultural'.

He makes the point that Canadian coaches lack the ability to coordinate a paticular style on our football. I tend to agree as many of our members do. We very obviously need a foreign coach who imposes a style on our national side. That doesn't happen without money. Money doesn't come easy to the CSA who are disjointed because of our provincial system...etc etc etc. Too simplistic to say its just 'cultural'.

I think that what Wheeler is talking about is something that a national team coach CANT simply impose on the system. Nor is it something that has anything to do with money.

Its something that has to be bred from the bottom up. For example, Notice that we have a culture where the heros are the goal scorers and in some cultures its the people who create the goals who are the heros. Just something like that has a profound effect on how you play the game.

I read somewhere a few years back that some USSF official were explaining soccer as a sport where everybody can the the quarter back. Just something simple like that makes a big diff

We obviously lack thoughtful journalists, too.

Yet again we see the same old, same old stuff trundled out. Kick and Run soccer, blame anyone with a british accent, who's involved in the game here.

Watch a youtube video of George Best and then explain to me how this was/was not "British style soccer". Go ask some of the folks in Canadian Soccer, with British Accents, who was the most skilled British player they've ever seen, and see how many of them mention George. Or Rodney Marsh. Or Matt Le Tissier. Or Ryan Giggs. Or Jimmy Greaves. Or even David Beckham, god bless him. Is there a "British Style"? The above players have all been brilliant, and all different.

Now, try to explain how those thoughts translate into the "British" imposing a "style" or even "kick and run soccer" on Canada.

In other contexts, this article would be considered Racist.

My own 10cents on this- as someone who has watched a lot of "typical" and "elite" Canadian Youth Soccer, and some played by kids in other nations too, is that Canadians should read what the CSA's technical working group had to say on the subject. When you've read "Wellness to World Cup" and had a think about it; go watch a few youth soccer games and see what they were talking about.

Then we can have a rational discussion.

Mr Wheeler said QUOTE: "

If you had to pick one way to describe the way Canadian soccer is played, it would be some kind of hybrid-British style -- defending at all cost and counter-attacking when possible, otherwise known as 'Kick and Run'.

It's the unattractive, old school British way of playing. Even the English have changed for the better.

The British influence within the Canadian Soccer Association and provincially, the Ontario Soccer Association is there for all to see."

We've got to get past blaming ethnic groups - it distracts from the main point that pretty much everyone agrees on - that our development system is just not that good.

Morace will help - but the lasting effects will only be seen if she is able to drive change across the country at the club level...

I know Stephen Hart is making his way across the country and talking to various stakeholders about improving the system for the 'elite' player (i.e. top 5%). Hopefully he'll be able to come up with a workable program AND be able to convince the dinosaurs (of whatever ethnic background) in governing roles that it's best to listen to the technical people when discussing player development.

Kick and chase has nothing to do with defending or counter-attack. Italians invented/refined both and I would love to see an Italian style except we don't have enough skill. Catenaccio requires skill. Other than Edgar or maybe Serioux, I can't think of a player versatile enough to play libero. If you have Kevin McKenna playing this role, you've sacrificed a lot, because either DeGuz, Tam, or Hutch is not on the pitch. Our best players are holding mids -as is true with most successful CONCACAF sides- and we need to take advantage of this in our approach.

I believe the idea of picking one "style" is inherently flawed. If you look at Honduras, they'll play it anyway you like it with one key consideration: they dictate tempo. Palacios and Guevera are very good at this, whereas DeGuzman and DeRosario are not. IMHO, tempo is the most important aspect of modern football and formations don't really mean SFA by comparison. It's all about learning to control the game. And we're not quite there yet with our professionals. Regardless, it's not something you'd want to teach the kiddies. Send 'em 4-4-2 and let them play.

We all want sexy football, but we also need to look at what we do well. Holger was very successful stressing discpline -especially on both sides of the set pieces. (Which is what I think the author is getting at) We have players who are very good in the air and we need to utilize this. And guess what? This means longballs. We saw what happened to our "best midfield in CONCACAF" when they were engaged by a midfield that is actually proficient at the short passing game.

We don't need to stereotype managers and regions. Ultimately we need a gaffer who is disciplined and can focus the players on the details of the game. Some English managers ignore these details in favour of allowing raw talent to emerge. However, so do Spanish managers: Jaunde Ramos being a great example that jumps to mind. I would say the UK actually has a lot of good candidates for us because they have been height advantaged and talent challenged for some time.

Guest speedmonk42

There is no place for the players to play.

3 teams.

Without money and pro teams it doesn't matter who is in charge, the differences will only be minimal. You can have all the ideas you want.

Guest speedmonk42

"The British influence within the Canadian Soccer Association and provincially, the Ontario Soccer Association is there for all to see. "

I think this is a down right crappy thing to say.

These evil British built community clubs for everyone to join. Not ethnic enclaves that isolated themselves.

This article is chock full of tired cliches I am sick of reading.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

We've got to get past blaming ethnic groups - it distracts from the main point that pretty much everyone agrees on - that our development system is just not that good.

Pretty much agree. Did we not hire a "foreign" coach named Holger

a few years back? What kind of "style" was implemented.

My impression was that Holger tried to use the strengths (if any) of

our players and so it was more of a "defensive bunker" approach with

a counterattack. The problem then was that many of our players

had limited possession skills and cannot play like Mexico or Costa

Rica. But now with most playing in Europe at a higher level,

such as Hutchinson and de Guzman, we must adjust.

It was probably a case of many players wanting to play "attractive"

football, while the coach was stuck in an older, outdated approach

(and got out-coached most of the time).

We have to get beyond the ethnic blame game by getting a foreign

coach that will get the best out of our players in terms of style

and result, and is outside the internal provincial politics of

the CSA.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

IMHO, tempo is the most important aspect of modern football and formations don't really mean SFA by comparison. It's all about learning to control the game.

This goes with knowing when to play a safe pass to maintain possession after being under considerable opposition pressure and then knowing when to go for a bold passing attempt. You speak of tempo, but I refer to it as rhythm in the passing game: same dif, I guess. Sometimes the formation stuff gets over-rated, I agree.

quote:Originally posted by I Caramba

"The British influence within the Canadian Soccer Association and provincially, the Ontario Soccer Association is there for all to see."

I know. Look at all of the British influence in power at the CSA. People like Peter Montopoli, Victor Montagliani, Vince Ursini, Dominic Maestracci...

It's an outrage!

/sarcasmachine, off!

Guest Jeffery S.

I agree that we can no longer point to British influences, or Scottish-English if you want, even though we have to recognize that they dominated for a good 20 years in the wake of the 1966 World Cup. No one ever thought that Brazil style could be implemented, or Argentine, but neither Italian.

But the real question for me is that no one culture or ethnic identity has ever given Canada a quality soccer influence or point of reference. We have never had a top level system of anything here, only relatively mediocre imitations that were behind the times and cliche and overly dependent on nostalgia plus amateur coaches plus no pro structure to help give some cash and passion to the array.

Canada's real soccer culture is recreational, and with the women, the culture of a decent level of parity in sport funding and sport education for women that translates into good overall athletes. Canada has excelled with the women because of quantity of participation and good physical level, giving us a wider pool than most other nations. While the boys and men have not drawn successfully from any model anywhere.

I hope if we sort things out it will be with a coach who has an understanding of the contemporary game, which is less ethnically or nationally distinct than ever, it is closer to global now that ever before, and that is the only game we have to play to win.

quote:Originally posted by L.T.

Morace will help - but the lasting effects will only be seen if she is able to drive change across the country at the club level...

I know Stephen Hart is making his way across the country and talking to various stakeholders about improving the system for the 'elite' player (i.e. top 5%). Hopefully he'll be able to come up with a workable program AND be able to convince the dinosaurs (of whatever ethnic background) in governing roles that it's best to listen to the technical people when discussing player development.

Too true. Let's be honest here, the people who were (and in some cases still are in charge) have a dumb, backwards idea of what soccer is. It has nothing to do with the fact that some of the people involved were British (plenty others were of other ethnicities as well).

Hart has the right idea. Hope he gets somewhere with it.

I've written a response to what I think is a very good article by Mr. Wheeler

http://canadianstretty.blogspot.com/2009/02/canadian-playing-style-to-blame.html

EDIT:

This bugs me. We need a quality coach who can bring a distinct style, but we shouldn't dismiss an entire country full of coaches. People seem to associate foreign will good, but immediately ignoring every Canadian coach will do nothing good for the sport.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I've written a response to what I think is a very good article by Mr. Wheeler

http://canadianstretty.blogspot.com/2009/02/canadian-playing-style-to-blame.html

EDIT:

This bugs me. We need a quality coach who can bring a distinct style, but we shouldn't dismiss an entire country full of coaches. People seem to associate foreign will good, but immediately ignoring every Canadian coach will do nothing good for the sport.

I once tried to start a Canadian coaches abroad thread but it did not stick. Basically as a way of saying, look at our pool of coaches. Very thin. We have few active professional coaches, we are weaker than than with players, by far. So it is not an insult to our coaches, it is a simple reality: we have too small a pool and too little to choose from, and that is the reason we should probably go foreign, no other.

Canada really needs to see a few ex players get into coaching after retiring, get some experience at higher level clubs. We have no one really, you'd have to say Yallop was the highest, and that is pretty average. But the internationals want to come home and they go for the cushy jobs in media rather than staying away from Canada looking for work options running pro teams.

I'm not saying that we should hire within Canada exclusively, but I'm also saying we shouldn't just go foreign. I mean in Canada there are guys like De Santis, Hart, Dasovic who should all be considered as should foreign coaches like Pekerman, Osieck?, or any other quality cantidates. I just feel like many people on here believe that a foreign coach will provide instant gratification. It isn't like the moment that we hire outside of Canada everything will change.

We need our own Guus Hiddink. Personally though I would love to get away from the British style of football we need to learn to play like CONCACAF as those are the teams we will consitently be mearsuring ourselves against in Qualifying tournies and GC's we need to solidfy ourselves as on of the premier countries of CONCACAF as we should be we have one of the larger pools of athletes to choose from we should be able to find success. the CSA needs to get it out of there head that playing Euro teams may be glamorous and attract more fans, but its not what we need we will never get to see those Euro oppenents in games that matter until we learn to beat the CONCACAF division and get out of the Qualfying stages of tournies.

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

We need our own Guus Hiddink. Personally though I would love to get away from the British style of football we need to learn to play like CONCACAF as those are the teams we will consitently be mearsuring ourselves against in Qualifying tournies and GC's we need to solidfy ourselves as on of the premier countries of CONCACAF as we should be we have one of the larger pools of athletes to choose from we should be able to find success. the CSA needs to get it out of there head that playing Euro teams may be glamorous and attract more fans, but its not what we need we will never get to see those Euro oppenents in games that matter until we learn to beat the CONCACAF division and get out of the Qualfying stages of tournies.

I agree with you that Canada needs to play more CONCACAF friendlies, or at least against teams who play a similar style to our opponents.

But I think the CSA is organizing friendlies against European teams because it makes the most economic sense, I don't think they are deluded enough to think that Cyprus is an extremely glamourous tie.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Canada really needs to see a few ex players get into coaching after retiring, get some experience at higher level clubs. We have no one really, you'd have to say Yallop was the highest, and that is pretty average. But the internationals want to come home and they go for the cushy jobs in media rather than staying away from Canada looking for work options running pro teams.

There's the sad reality of this ... few positions in this country are actually available to people on merit. Still a "who you know" game.

If the incentives were clear and the best were recognized more often, we'd get miles ahead of where we are now. That's not to say we have some secret coaching talent lying around, but if you continually take the best and pair them against each other, you just keep getting a better quality product.

Archived