Cyprus Cup, March 2009

jonny63

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

That's what you get for reading the Women's Forum Joe! : )

Whaaa? :)

Anything coming from that clown doesn't bother me. All he has ever posted is whines about the CSA, nothing else, ever. Nada.

So when the CSA gives the coach the resources she needs to be competitive he whines about that. Sheesh!

And he bitches we should call more players who would only get splinters on their ass. Donne moi un break.

Way smarter than that? I don't think soooo.

Unless we have some idea how much the team staff are actually being compensated by their respective associations, I think it completely ridiculous to try to compare expenditures between USSF and CSA based purely on the numbers of people. Are they full-time staff, part-time, or volunteers? I expect many of Canada's 14 are volunteers, who get little more than a per diem.

How much would the CSA need to pay you, for you to agree to go on a free trip to Europe with the National Team?

Alan if that was the case I'd agree but we're (at least I'm) simply talking about the cost of sending 14 people (travel/accommodation/personal expenditures) and the ROI of the money elsewhere.

The real question is how to split 14 into foursomes. It's always real bad number for a bonspiel.

Joe for a guy who complains heavily about spiral ruining threads your batting average in this one isn't great. If you're going to provoke people, take what you have coming without dragging everyone into personal slagland.

quote:Originally posted by AlanDouglas

Unless we have some idea how much the team staff are actually being compensated by their respective associations, I think it completely ridiculous to try to compare expenditures between USSF and CSA based purely on the numbers of people. Are they full-time staff, part-time, or volunteers? I expect many of Canada's 14 are volunteers, who get little more than a per diem.

How much would the CSA need to pay you, for you to agree to go on a free trip to Europe with the National Team?

Most of the people listed as staff are receiving payment for services rendered. No one is getting rich but they are getting paid (more than simply a per diem).

For those concerned about how much is being spent, not all 14 staffers are going with the team to Cyprus. A larger staff was needed for pre-tournament training but a few people will return home Monday while the rest will go onto Cyprus.

I'm not one to compliment the CSA but it seems they are trying to make the best use of what budget they've got. This group of players and coaches are hell bent on getting good results and getting this new era off on a good foot.

Rather than quibbling about how the CSA spends its money, lets talk about the players....I'm told that the team played a friendly against the U17 team for one of the pro clubs in Italy. Not sure of the result but I do know that Morace tried a combination of Alyssa Lagonia up front with Sinclair.

I'll be very curious to see how the team fares in Cyprus

If it's a Serie A U17 team and they're playing for keeps, I've seen the calibre live lately and they'd shred the ladies at half speed.

I also saw parts of a Russian game a few months ago... they played defensive and looked capable but pretty routine on the attack. The Dutch ranking has been in a fall but they are starting to take the women's game seriously, should be interesting to see if Pauw can keep things from getting stale. They Kiwis are easily the lowest ranked team in the group but are extremely well run and coached.

Tragic the games aren't at least p2p'd. Even more tragic the only info on the team comes via a friend of a friend. There's an 11yr old on my street who posts photos and stories of her trips. If you want people and corporations to buy in with their hearts and wallets, stop living in the dark (ages).

http://wnt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/

http://ynt-ussoccer.blogspot.com/

^ I agree with you that the lack of information coming out of camp is pretty disappointing. It just doesn't seem like the CSA fully understands how much the supporters want to know what the teams are doing (men and women).

Cyprus Cup odds & ends:

Classic historical matchup in the Scotland and England match March 10th. The member countries turned down a united British team for the London Olympics.

Scotland only has two foreign-based players, Ifeoma Dieke of the Red Stars and Kim Little of Arsenal.

NZ has three ex-pat internationals back in the lineup that weren't in action in their tour of China in January. They have 8 of their U20's on the roster, including 15yr old Rosie White who had hat tricks a month apart at the U17 and U20 World Cups. Canada and NZ have met three times with Canada winning the first three and a tie in the last game. The NZ coach is looking to "benchmark his young side against nations in the second tier of women's football".

Canada won the tournament last year with Holland placing 4th and Russia placing 5th.

South Africa are participating via a women's program sponsorship from Sasol and are bringing four U20s and African player of the year Noko Matlou. Sasol also sponsors the National Women's League.

All 22 players on the England Women's team played in the FA Women's Premier League in 2008.

Canada confirms roster before Cyprus Cup</u>

Canada's women's national team confirmed its 23-player roster today for the 2009 Cyprus Women's Cup. Canada, who has been training in Rome this past week, undertakes its championship defence beginning this 5 March against New Zealand.

In the opening round, Canada faces New Zealand on 5 March, Netherlands on 7 March and Russia on 10 March. The opposite group features England, France, Scotland and South Africa. All teams will cross over and play on 12 March to determine their placing in the tournament.

The 5 March match will be Canada's first under the direction of new head coach Carolina Morace. Morace was named Canada's new head coach in early February and has since directed Canadian camps in Los Angeles and Rome.

Canada, whose title sponsor is Winners, won the 2008 Cyprus Cup. It was one of the many successes from a landmark year in which Canada qualified for the Women's Olympic Football Tournament for the first time in Association history. At the Olympics in Beijing, Canada reached the quarter-final stage before falling to the number-one ranked USA in the quarter final.

CANADA

G- Stephanie Labbé (SWE / Piteå IF) | Stony Plain, AB

G- Karina LeBlanc (USA / Los Angeles Sol) | Maple Ridge, BC

G- Erin McNulty (USA / Florida State University) | Winnipeg, MB

D- Sasha Andrews (USA / Pali Blues) | Edmonton, AB

D/M- Melanie Booth (Unattached / sans club) | Burlington, ON

D/M- Candace Chapman (USA / Boston Breakers) | Ajax, ON

D- Martina Franko (Unattached / sans club) | Squamish, BC

F- Christina Julien (USA / James Madison University) | Williamstown, ON

M- Kaylyn Kyle (SWE / Piteå IF) | Saskatoon, SK

F- Alyssa Lagonia (CAN / Wilfrid Laurier University) | Kitchener, ON

M- Diana Matheson (NOR / Team Strømmen FK) | Oakville, ON

D/M- Marie-Eve Nault (Unattached / sans club) | Trois-Rivières, QC

M- Kelly Parker (USA / Sky Blue FC) | Regina, SK

M- Leah Robinson (Unattached / sans club) | Lower Sackville, NS

F- Christine Sinclair (USA / FC Gold Pride) | Burnaby, BC

M- Chelsea Stewart (USA / Vanderbilt University) | The Pas, MB

F- Melissa Tancredi (USA / St. Louis Athletica) | Ancaster, ON

D/M- Brittany Timko (SWE / Piteå IF) | Coquitlam, BC

F- Amy Vermeulen (Unattached / sans club) | Saskatoon, SK

M- Amy Walsh (CAN / Comètes de Laval) | St-Hilaire, QC

M/DRhian Wilkinson (NOR / Team Strømmen FK) | Baie d’Urfé, QC

D- Shannon Woeller (USA / Rutgers University) | Vancouver, BC

D- Emily Zurrer (USA / University of Illinois) | Crofton, BC

http://www.canadasoccer.com/news/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=3528

I'm pretty sure that's the exact same release they issued 10 days ago... or even half it. Identical roster, a couple of the same statements and absolutely zero new info. Not one single word of new content.

Three US Soccer WNT articles in the past 48 hours:

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_12877830.html

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_12877831.html

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_12877833.html

As well as a new Algarve Cup mini-site:

http://www.ussoccer.com/teams/womens/alg/index.jsp.html

The women deserve a lot better than 10 seconds of cut and paste.

quote:Originally posted by MM2

Christina Julien is the first product of the Ottawa Fury youth program to get a National team call.

Not to denigrate the Fury Program but she played for a number of clubs before going to Fury.. Corwall Blazers for one and I think she also played for Williamston Ladies in the Glengarry league under Rudi Payer..she was and is natural striker with a nose for goal.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Not to denigrate the Fury Program but she played for a number of clubs before going to Fury.. Corwall Blazers for one and I think she also played for Williamston Ladies in the Glengarry league under Rudi Payer..she was and is natural striker with a nose for goal.

Not sure she played for Rudi Grizzly but you've got the other details right she was by far one of the best natural noses for goal I've ever coached when she was with the Fury. I believe she spent four years on the youth side U15+ with the Fury...

Looking forward to Kick Off tomorrow. Should be a good Tournament. I can see France and England (Not in that order) doing a 1, 2 in Group A. I am an not so sure on Group B. I'm going for Canada and Russia.

3News.co.nz: http://www.3news.co.nz/News/SportsNews/Mystery-surrounds-Ferns-foes-for-opening-match/tabid/415/articleID/94054/cat/70/Default.aspx

Mystery surrounds Ferns' foes for opening match

Thu, 05 Mar 2009 2:03p.m.

John_Herdman_180.jpg

Coach John Herdman

Despite playing Canada four times in the last two years, Friday's Cyprus Cup women's soccer opener (1.45am, NZT) against the defending champions is a step into the unknown for the Football Ferns.

With both sides at the beginning of a new World Cup and Olympic Games cycle, personnel and tactical changes means little can be read into previous meetings when the sides step out at Paralimni's stadium, in south Cyprus.

While the Ferns have been blooding new young players, the biggest change on the Canadian side is at coach, where Italian playing legend Carolina Morace has taken over from long-serving Norwegian Evan Pellerud.

"They're a bit of a mystery again," New Zealand coach John Herdman said.

"We know they're going to have a new style so our preparation has been focused on some of our new stuff, and what we're going to do well."

The most recent meeting between the sides, a pre-Olympics friendly in Singapore, ended in a 1-1 draw.

Herdman said the aim was to go one better and begin the eight-nation tournament by scalping the world number 11.

Wolfsburg defender Rebecca Smith and Stanford University winger Ali Riley are likely to come back into contention for starting berths after missing the Ferns' recent tour to China, while a new formation could mean positional changes for others.

The match kicks off at 1.45am New Zealand time, with fellow Group B hopefuls Russia and the Netherlands squaring off at the same time.

In Group A, England take on South Africa and France meet Scotland.

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

After 9 years of Pellerudian style it must be hard to change.

We all knew that there are going to be a couple of backward or sideways steps to be taken before the team starts to totally buy into the system, become fully fit and feel natural playing under a new philosophy.

Clearly, this is not the desired result but I'll be curious to hear reports from the team as to how well they played. All we see is a scoreline. We might have dominated and the Kiwi keeper might have stood on her head.

In the other Group B game

Russia v Holland 1-2

Group A

England v South Africa 6-0 (South Africa's First Game Outside Africa)

Williams 18, Sanderson 19, Smith 42, Houghton 54, Chapman 87, 90+1

France v Scotland 2-0

Blanc 69, Le Sommer 83

Archived