Morace will coach u-20s as well

quote:Originally posted by The Ref

That makes sense. I am sorry that Ian Bridge has been pushed by side. Morace has an impressive resume. Happy birthday Carolina!

Ian is going to have to work hard to shed the cloud of having been associated with Pellerud's "style" of soccer.

If Ian is a quality coach, he'll adapt and might find his way back into a coaching gig.

• 1 month later...
quote:Originally posted by Ed

Excellent news. It's at the U20's level that the 'too much Brazil' players were pushed out.

Having seen Ian over the years he will have a lot work to do to shed his Pelerud cloak, good luck to him in doing that..... he might want to get the message out he agrees with the Morace vision and will find soccer players ... and develop them for Morace, he needs to get on the road if he is going to be U17 coach he needs to travel the country and have open sessions for all comers, then to select a pool that has talent and technical skills, not size and run all day attributes.

You would think that he was put there with Morace's blessing. Morace definitely has an interest in this group as in 2-3 years the top players in this group will get a chance to play on the senior team and need to have the same playing style / mindset.

A few perhaps. But it's a bit more than 2-3 years for the core.

The top teams in the Norwegian pro league are bemoaning the lack of quality teams, declaring there are too many teams comprised of youth without sufficient maturity and experience that cannot deliver.

The last few teams to win the World Cup were composed of a large number of veterans. You need a smattering of youth to keep a dressing room vibrant, but like the NHL playoffs it's veterans that you want out there when the chips are down. You never know but next year is qualifying and is probably too soon for the U17s to knock anyone off the roster. I would definitely expect to see some for the one after that though.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Excellent news. It's at the U20's level that the 'too much Brazil' players were pushed out.

Bridge replaced by Morace at U20 girls level.

Only to be recycled as a staff coach with our U17 boys!

^^^^^

Yes agree Vic.

My point was that if she is in here for the "longer" term I don't see why she would be okay with putting in a new U17 youth team coach if she didn't trust his ability to develop players, and a playing style, which are aligned with her vision.

Gotcha and definitely agree.

Six major women's tournaments in the past decade. Top 5 goalscorers in each tournament below. Average age = 25.25

OLY08

Cristiane 23

Angela Hucles 30

Marta 22

Lotta Schelin 24

Homare Sawa 30

WC07

Marta 21

Abby Wambach 27

Ragnhild Gulbrandsen 30

Cristiane 22

Birgit Prinz 30

OLY04

Cristiane 19

Birgit Prinz 27

Abby Wambach 24

Prethina 29

Marta 18

WC03

Birgit Prinz 27

Maren Meinert 30

Katia 26

Kerstin Garefrekes 24

Victoria Svensson 26

OLY00

Sun Wen 27

Birgit Prinz 23

Tiffeny Milbrett 28

Raquel 22

Mercy Akide 25

WC99

Sun Wen 26

Sissi 32

Ann Kristin Aarones 26

Bettina Wiegmann 28

Inka Grings 21

Interesting question. It's pretty hard to compare Women's soccer now and then, because the approach to the game was quite different. Funding, opportunities, etc. Pathways didn't exist decades ago, you had to create them.

Consider caps - Hooper and Sinclair both have about 130 caps. Whereas it took Hooper 20 years with the team to reach that number by 2006, Sinclair achieved the same number by starting 15 years after Hooper and simply playing the past two years. Unbelievably she played as many games in the past two years as the program did in it's first 15 years.

Another two interesting statistical analyses for men vs. women would be both prime performance age and career length.

• 5 weeks later...

I thought there was a U17 and U20 World Cup in 2010. WHy has there not been a camp for any of these teams? Why has the head coach not been around the country to select players? There seems to be many events for the women whose World cup is not until 2011 but NO events for the the U17 and U20 teams whose World Cup is in JULY 2010.

^ Be patient basics....A U20 camp will be scheduled in the not too distant future. I don't know what is happening with U17.

I am quite certain that a very large number of players will be evaluated for the U20 program. I'm willing to be that they will be searching high and low, as far as their budget will let them. Christina Julien being named to the Senior team for Cyprus should be a good sign for the future of the youth programs too (namely, you don't have to be involved in NTC or a provincial all star team to earn a spot on the WNT).

However, keep in mind that, while success at U20 and U17 is nice, the #1 priority must be revitalizing the senior program.

It should aso not be overlooked that national team staff visit the NTCs four times a year and conduct evaluations with NTC staff of every individual player in the program. Most NTC staffers are reasonably aware of the talent pool in their area. The system may not be perfect but there IS a system in place.

quote:Originally posted by basics

I thought there was a U17 and U20 World Cup in 2010. WHy has there not been a camp for any of these teams? Why has the head coach not been around the country to select players? There seems to be many events for the women whose World cup is not until 2011 but NO events for the the U17 and U20 teams whose World Cup is in JULY 2010.

I had heard the 1st U17 camp would be in August following the National Championship (all Star). Not so bad if they can then squeeze in 4-5 camps before the CONCACEF Championships in 2010, but far from our American cousins. They are already on their 3rd camp and have played Germany 2x - this year alone !!

The Americans have over 10 times our funding. I'm sure if we had that money we would have been higher on the camps number. We tend to like to use them. Instead we have to rely on trying to generate better ROI on the pennies on a buck we have. Running a camp after U16 All-Star's seems like a great and affordable idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived