Question for Whitecaps supporters...

Obinna

Is Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium even progressing? Or have they put that on the backburner....

I haven't heard any news on this debacle for a long time now. Are the Whitecaps still in discussion with the city officials over the land?

If Vancouver wins expansion for 2011, BC place will be fine and all, but just imagine if Vancouver was awarded a franchise, THEN SHORTLY AFTER they get approval to build their stadium! That would be HUGH for the league.

Possibility or Pipedream? What do you guys think?

I personally feel that because of the upgrades to BC Place that the Waterfront stadum plans will not go ahead maybe in a few years if the Caps are MLS bound they could pick up on the hype and re-run their application with more $$ behind it but for the immediate future dont see it happening.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Vancouver and the BC Liberal Party really wouldn't want that. Province wide they have ignored real problems and have put money into this stadium roof. The Liberals really don't want one of the two tenants to drop out right before the election.

So when is the election? And is the BC Liberal Party strong in British Columbia (are they expected to win)?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this issue was in the jurisdiction of the City of Vancouver. I guess not?

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

I think purely depends on whether our bid goes thru for an MLS team. Once the bid is accepted they will officially anncounce going forward. If it isnt accepted is there a point to have 16,000 seat stadia for a USL-1 team.

I'd like to see them continue their plan, even if they don't get in this round. 16,000 for USL is fine (considering were talking Vancouver), plus they would have a SSS in place next expansion round.

weird comments, let me clear the air

The Whitecaps are ABSOLUTELY still pursuing a stadium on vancouvers waterfront, negotiations are ongoing with the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (under the umbrella of the Ministry of Transport, Federal Government), nothing to do with provincial or municipal agencies (for now)

latest updates: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/stadium/waterfront/vision/

The plan is still in play. It's the federal government that has jurisdiction on port property. The city allowed for the re-zoning application to proceed, so that's done.

Money is not an issue, it's totally privately funded. It's all about the local port authority, and how much THEY think they can fleece the Whitecaps owner for a land swap. But like others have said...the WWS will be a top priority once the MLS franchise is granted.

No the stadium is not on the backburner from a Whitecaps perspective. It is still very much alive, front and centre. However when two parties need to make a deal before the plans can progress, and the talks in that deal stall....let's just say it seems like it's on the backburner since there hasn't been new news on this topic in a while. Remember, it's not between the Caps and the city, it's between the Caps and the Port of Vancouver. A public company overseen by Ottawa (I forget which minister) who should get a nasty e-mail from every footy loving fan over their lack of co-operation.

The Whitecaps will go with a stadium MLS or not. Originally the plan was 15k expandable to 30k. I can't see them going less then the MLS required 20k, or just doing 30k all in one shot. Obtaining an SSS in the future is part of the bid. However, if BC Place works out, and heaven forbid there are a few games where the upper bowl is needed, MLS may have to open their eyes and be flexible to that. However, whether it's BC Place or Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium, this would be one of few cities (if not the only city) with a downtown venue. When you have that you have corporate sponsors. Remember, the Whitecaps sold out deposits on ALL of the logge and luxury boxes for Watefront Stadium, and this thing is still a drawing on paper. The demand is there.

If I recall, a few months ago I heard the Duze say that details of negotiations with the Port will be kept confidential by all parties. This was shortly after a port official made some comments in the press, which in my mind was highly unprofessional. So for now, we get nothing more than the standard "discussions are ongoing".

quote:Originally posted by Vancouversoccerman

Morbital pretty much made it clear what's happening. Nobody should make the mistake of thinking the Whitecaps regard BC Place as anything more than a temporary solution.

Morbital, Calgary Boomer and myself pretty much psted at the same time, a little overlap in ideas occured.[:I]

quote:Originally posted by Richard

A new CEO was appointed to Port Metro Vancouver (the new name for the agency) who assumes responsibility at the end of March. We can only hope this will in due course breathe new life into the stadium land negotiations.

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1059202

And I'm pretty sure the Whitecaps were willing to wait out the current Port regime, and I'm prepared to bet that the Port's negotiating group won't be around much longer.

Yea I'd love for them to pursue it even if they don't get the bid, but in reality I doubt thats the case with 365 million going into BC place I don't see them wanting the Caps to jump ship until they are sure they will be in the premier league of North America. Athough a Soccer Specific stadia like the propsed waterfront would be able to be used for much more than just The Caps. International friendly and tournies, Club Competions. With a nice stadium like that maybe we could try and adopt a sort of Dallas Super Cup.

Archived