US goes for WC 2018 or 2022

tmcmurph

I don't follow you guys on the "Extra spot" logic. Currently Concacaf has three and a half spots. If the US were to be awarded the WC, according to precedent, Concacaf would have something two and a half spots. There is ample precedent for this. It doesn't really help anybody in the region. Although, you can never complain when you have a chance to go to a WC game that is played at a relatively short distance away.

In 1986 and 1994, the number of World Cup spots allotted to CONCACAF remained the same - i.e. two. In other words, only one spot was up for grabs in WCQ. When we qualified for the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, we accomplished the feat as the top side in CONCACAF. There were no silver and bronze medals for Honduras and Costa Rica, which finished second and third in that qualifying run.

Would the precedents set in 1986 and 1994 hold up if the U.S. or Mexico were to host a future World Cup? Perhaps, but it's worth noting that Africa has been given an extra spot for the upcoming competition. I would argue that Africa barely deserves five spots, never mind six. Therefore, it wouldn't be completely unusual if CONCACAF was awarded an extra spot for a WC in our region.

My guess is that the US would be a favorite over Mexico. Although the US hosted in 1994 and Mexico in 1986, Mexico has hosted 2 World Cups to the USA's 1. No country has every hosted 3 World Cups, so the chances of Mexico getting this honour in my opinion are very slim.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

In 1986 and 1994, the number of World Cup spots allotted to CONCACAF remained the same - i.e. two. In other words, only one spot was up for grabs in WCQ. When we qualified for the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, we accomplished the feat as the top side in CONCACAF. There were no silver and bronze medals for Honduras and Costa Rica, which finished second and third in that qualifying run.

Would the precedents set in 1986 and 1994 hold up if the U.S. or Mexico were to host a future World Cup? Perhaps, but it's worth noting that Africa has been given an extra spot for the upcoming competition. I would argue that Africa barely deserves five spots, never mind six. Therefore, it wouldn't be completely unusual if CONCACAF was awarded an extra spot for a WC in our region.

Thanks for the full explanation of my "extra spots" theory. I owe you coffee :)

Another possibility is if FIFA gives a pass to the US or Mexico it might only take 1/2 spot away so we would have 3 spots without one of the 2 regional powers to deal with. Just speculation (WAG) on my part.

I wasn't aware Africa got a sixth spot for 2010. I agree that they have a hard time justifying 5.

If the World Cup goes to CONCACAF it's going to the United States and not Mexico. From the standpoint of profitability, infrastructure and fan safety it's a no brainer. FIFA was willing to overlook shortcomings in granting the last two world cups because of the fact those continents were sorely overdue. However, with Mexico having hosted twice already they'll get no such easy treatment

Archived