"They should bring everything down and start again

Vic

Interesting article! Thanks for posting it.

First, this part is really weird:

CONCACAF said the conflict is between De Guzman and Soccer Canada.

"This matter is an internal affair within the Canadian federation and CONCACAF has no place commenting on it," CONCACAF spokesman Brian Trusdell said.

Second, about the friendlies and need to prepare for the GC, I would tell him that was the case in 2007 (plus a little scrimmage with Bermuda) and the team did well during the competition.

Third, I agree with his general feelings toward the association but I'm just wondering if the players aren't a bit too much focused on that at the moment. Surely 2008 was an improvement over 2004 in term of prep, accomodations and travelling but with the same results.

Fourth, I would like to hear his ideas to improve our chances to qualify for a WC.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Interesting article! Thanks for posting it.

First, this part is really weird:

CONCACAF said the conflict is between De Guzman and Soccer Canada.

"This matter is an internal affair within the Canadian federation and CONCACAF has no place commenting on it," CONCACAF spokesman Brian Trusdell said.

Second, about the friendlies and need to prepare for the GC, I would tell him that was the case in 2007 (plus a little scrimmage with Bermuda) and the team did well during the competition.

Third, I agree with his general feelings toward the association but I'm just wondering if the players aren't a bit too much focused on that at the moment. Surely 2008 was an improvement over 2004 in term of prep, accomodations and travelling but with the same results.

Fourth, I would like to hear his ideas to improve our chances to qualify for a WC.

Pretty well agree on all points. I wonder if he really ever thought that we were only just going to play the one friendly prior to the Gold Cup and was just striking while the moment was ripe.

I am glad that the players appear to be taking the Gold Cup more seriously than a lot of the fans (thus far) appear to be.

Still though, one thought that entered my mind when I read this:

"The players we have were good enough to make the World Cup, I don't care what anyone says," said De Guzman, who was selected as Canada's best player in 2008. "I heard statements from the coach where he said the team wasn't good enough ... but this team for me was the best team"

Ok. Its nice that we believe that. Let's prove it on the f'ing field already.

Julian de Guzman makes me think of a retired goalkeeper, Jose Luis Chilavert who was always a polemic person. Chilavert was not obstructed to say the things, he had some influence within APF (Association of Football of Paraguay) because he was a very good goalkeeper. I remember that at the time of WCQ 2002 he had threatened the APF not to play if Cardozo was called. Cardozo was an old player who didn’t deserve to play for the national team (it looks like he had some he had some contacts within the APF). Fortunately, the APF yielded at the request of Chilavert.

JDG’s attitude makes me think of Chilavert and the same goes about the situation as we we know JDG is an excellent player. I hope he will be able to change things in the future.

^ great story about Chilavert. He was quite a character.

I wish the CSA took these verbal assaults seriously. Sadly, I think it goes in one ear and out the other. The key statement in Julian's comments is that the CSA is run by amateurs whose only concern is the almighty dollar and maintaining control.

"They should bring everything down and start again."

Sometimes in life when you make a complete mess of things you have to undergo massive change. Petty little changes do nothing but hurt things by detracting from the sweeping changes needed to go forward.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

"They should bring everything down and start again."

Sometimes in life when you make a complete mess of things you have to undergo massive change. Petty little changes do nothing but hurt things by detracting from the sweeping changes needed to go forward.

Way off topic, but I had this feeling when I saw Sagra Familia. Its a freaking disaster. But they continue to tinker away. Someone needs to just say, "We put a load of cash in this but it simply is beyond repair."

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

Way off topic, but I had this feeling when I saw Sagra Familia. Its a freaking disaster. But they continue to tinker away. Someone needs to just say, "We put a load of cash in this but it simply is beyond repair."

Except for the fact that it's a huge tourist attration especially BECAUSE of its "in construction" status, over 2.4 million in 2004.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Except for the fact that it's a huge tourist attration especially BECAUSE of its "in construction" status, over 2.4 million in 2004.

Sagrada Familia you mean? Almost all Gothic cathedrals were built in the same way, with multiple hands, over a long period, in fits and starts, with stylistic changes altering the original idea, with better and worse artisans and artists contributing. This is what Gaudí sought and this is what he got, and that is why the official commission, under the auspices of the church, keeps going at it.

And I agree it is a disaster, a mess, with great moments here and there and some rather poor ones, but it is a lot better when it comes to churches than the CSA is when it comes to soccer associations.

This is from someone who was teaching the history of the gothic and Gaudí's debt to it to his first year students just today.

Archived