Canada 2018 or 2022 WC Bid

Sam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/mihirbose/2009/01/england_set_for_tough_2018_bat.html

As for the rest of the world, Qatar, Japan and Indonesia have all submitted their intention to bid, while the United States of America, China, Canada and Mexico could join them before the 2 February deadline.

http://canadianstretty.blogspot.com/2009/01/csa-world-cup-bid.html

Who the f*ck do the CSA think they are? They can't run the simple matter of national teams, where all other FAs in the world have to deal with national leagues + national teams + extra media pressure, but the CSA still think they can mount a World Cup bid. If the World Cup comes to Canada in 2018 or 2022 it will be an embarrassment to our country with the current state of the CSA. FIFA may be corrupt, but luckly no one in their right mind would ever award Canada the World Cup.

^ In fact, the CSA has to its credit a stellar record in hosting WC's. FIFA was impressed by the hosting of both the Mens' U20 WC in 2007 and the Womens' U19 WC in 2002.

Putting on a successful competition and fielding a successful national team are two completely different challenges and the CSA has shown to the world that they can host a tournament in a world-class manner.

And I think their success in RUNNING the U20 world cup comes down to the one thing they really care about, money. Tickets and advertisements were everywhere prior to the event. They sold out every game at BMO.

If they could only be motivated and bothered to arrange national team friendlies in a way (assuming BMO gets grass, or there's another possible venue that will sell out with a pro-Canadian crowd) everyone benefits. Financially, FIFA rankings, and an increase in fan support

No harm putting your name in the hat. Initially anyway. It would cost the CSA millions to organize a serious bid and since we can't even afford to replace the MNT coach at this point if there is anything to this rumor (which keeps popping up it seems) I doubt it could be very much at this point. This could just be a publicity stunt (and maybe not such a bad one at that).

Besides I wouldn't worry too much about how the CSA would handle a WC. There would be so much government money involved and the event is of such a massive scale multiple outside professional bodies would be heavily involved in pulling off such a scheme. The CSA letterhead on the press releases would be about all the CSA actualy would have to do with organizing the tourney.

Governments love these sorts of things.

And we'd actually get to field a team in a World Cup finals! Hurray!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

^ In fact, the CSA has to its credit a stellar record in hosting WC's. FIFA was impressed by the hosting of both the Mens' U20 WC in 2007 and the Womens' U19 WC in 2002.

Putting on a successful competition and fielding a successful national team are two completely different challenges and the CSA has shown to the world that they can host a tournament in a world-class manner.

Ed and others .. were you involved in the U20 ? All the decisions were made by FIFA young guns from Blatterland, the local organizing cttes were hamstrung and did not have any control over what went on, successfull ?

Yes they drew fans and for FIFA that was the desire, did the event make money or leave a legacy beyond the stadium now owned by the city of Toronto and given over the a large corporation to make money with ?

The U20's are not designed to make money, I would imagine that FIFA went deep into the hole on most of the previous ones. We shattered attendance marks so I would have to say it qualifies as a success. Note that I am not used to complimenting the CSA but to say they could not host such a tournament is just not looking at their past accomplishments. And ONE national SSS is better than NONE.

quote:Originally posted by villus

What is the viability of maybe co-hosting with the US? Obviously the US does'nt need us, but it could be huge for us and might increase the chances of the big going through.

I honestly don't think the US would gain anything from cohosting. We've done one on our own quite sucessfully, so I don't think the USSF would see any incentive in sharing. And if we were to cohost, we'd aim for the big money grab and go with Mexico.

Guys think about this. Maybe hosting the big show is exactly what Canada needs to stimulate fundamental change in our system. I don't think you can argue that 1994 was a (albeit slower than expected) catalyst for change to American Soccer. Hosting or even bidding on the big show will require introspection, something NOT occurring at the national level when it is so sorely needed. I'd suggest this is exactly what we need and we may have an "better" chance to win the bid as FIFA may believe it guarantees continued development of North American interest in the game (which is where some of the big money is)....

^As a nation that routinely thinks small and miniscule when it comes to soccer and insists that only baby steps forward are possible if at all, I desperately hope there is at least a grain of truth to this. There is only so much of the cult of impotence that dominates soccer in Canada that I can take.

Archived