$ 40 million ain't worth it if Beckham leaves MLS

spiral

Could Kerfoot be playing the waiting game here?

Could Kerfoot be delaying a decision to drop the bid based on whether Backham leaves MLS or not?

There were rumors weeks ago that the Vancouver bid found $ 40 million too expensive with the dollar dropping.

Could Beckham leaving be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

Here we go again with his "rumors."

Somebody shut this idiot up.

It's not a rumor just because you dreamed something up on 20 other forums and the 12 tickle-starved personalities in your head agree with you.

Put your socks back on and give your head a shake... and I'm referring to the big empty one on your shoulders.

Are teams, expecting to join in 2011 or 2012, also expecting a 36 or 37 year old Beckham to still be toiling in the league? I'm fully on board that the 40 million dollar fee is unreasonable, but it is also extremely shortsighted to base future value on a 2- or 3- year proposition (Beckham's remaining career in MLS).

What does David Beckham really represent in the total value of a franchise? For a team like the caps, it's one, max two, home draws per year. For maybe 4-5 more years max. Extra ratings boost when he shows as well. Is that the tipping point of a 40M dollar investment?

We really can't tell without crunching the numbers. But the answer is my mind is that this is not even close to the tipping point of making an investment or not.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

What does David Beckham really represent in the total value of a franchise? For a team like the caps, it's one, max two, home draws per year. For maybe 4-5 more years max. Extra ratings boost when he shows as well. Is that the tipping point of a 40M dollar investment?

We really can't tell without crunching the numbers. But the answer is my mind is that this is not even close to the tipping point of making an investment or not.

I think the real money is in potential increased TV earnings with Beckham in the league but, like I said, Beckham won't be playing for ever. He only has a few years left.

As far as I see it, Becks has already done his job for the league. While he definitely still draws people to watch games involving him, he has had no part in creating the supporter groups that have grown out of each team in MLS (and USL for that matter). While he definitely has brought a bit of interest about the game to those who had no interest initially, his purpose, as far as I'm concerned, of being nothing more than a marketing tool could be fulfilled by remaining with the league not as a player but as an ambassador or something along the lines of that.

Would the Galaxy's regular season attendance really suffer if he left the starting 11?

quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

Would the Galaxy's regular season attendance really suffer if he left the starting 11?

Actually, I believe it would.

I would like to think that the LA Galaxy fanbase isn't dependent on Beckham anymore, but it clearly is. I base this on my experience of actually attending a Galaxy game last May. There are ALOT of females who go just to see him, wearing his jersey, screaming during pre-game warm ups whenever he made his way to the touchline. And these likley aren't soccer playing females either, (you can tell the difference), so I question their genuine interest in the Galaxy.

The hype in that stadium is geared towards beckham, but also Landon Donovan. During the player anouncements, his name raised alot of noice, and with the prospect of both making their lones permanent, I can see attendence drop down anywhere from 7000 to 10000 (unless of course, they bring in another big name).

Of course Beckham was part of the $40 million. You can ruminate until the cows come home how much, but that will be for financiers and league managers to figure out. I won't stir the pot by mentioning the number and having people's heads spin, but I think it is an extremely significant amount.

My guess is the league won't dare change the 40 to publicly have egg all over their faces, but will have some secret clandestine reliefs in the franchise terms to offset it.

The people bidding are no fools, and I'm sure they're already all over this...

Archived