Inside Track yesterday

Guest Ed

I was going somewhere with my kids yesterday and just caught a minute or so of Inside Track on CBC Raio. The subject was a Cdn women's player but I wasn't able to listen. Anybody catch it?

It was a Canadian player from BC who because of her Jamaican heritage played for Jamaica in WCQ.

She felt she was good enough to play for Canada, but didn't make any of Canada's teams because of her style of play (control, passing etc.)

Didn't catch her name

Her husband made a documentary on her experience.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

I was going somewhere with my kids yesterday and just caught a minute or so of Inside Track on CBC Raio. The subject was a Cdn women's player but I wasn't able to listen. Anybody catch it?

CBC Inside Track 25 Jan 2009: A Reggae Girl, Lianne McHardy, Rafael Arguello, Boardercross Primer

Lianne McHardy, a Canadian-Jamaican soccer player and her husband Rafael Arguello talk about their award-winning documentary "A Reggae Girl". It chronicles her life and soccer career as she attempts to help Jamaica qualify for the World Cup. Also, snowboarder Drew Neilson on the finer points of his exciting event - Boardercross.

Podcast

There are lots of people who believe they are good enough to make national teams but are never selected. Usually there is a valid reason and whomever is the head coach of the day has the final say. But no matter who the head coach is there will always be people who disagree with one or more of the selections. Its like refereeing and the Laws of the Game: "If in the opinion of the referee...". Just learn to live with it.

Agree 100% on all of that, and making the countries mentioned is much easier than cutting Canada's cloth. But kudos to anyone who loves the sport enough to relocate to play though.

What about the GTA Trini U17's who were cut from Canada but played for Trinidad this Summer? Life must seem a little Stephen King these days...

^ No argument there. I am sure that as soon as the new coach call up her first batch of players for a practice, even a game, we will be questioning some of her choices and some of the players left behind. I hope the new coach will replace the existing staff, specially dinosaurs like Les.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived