Question about the Nsaliwa situation...

marcl_19

quote:Originally posted by masster

I have confirmed that the problem is simply Canada unwilling to give Tam his passport back after he voluntarily relinquished it. Despite lawyers working on this issue, it is not expected to change anytime soon.

Can you share your source for that? I still don't think Germany would allow him to be a dual citizen.

quote:Originally posted by masster

I think the only way we might see Tam again is if the CSA can lobby FIFA for some sort of special exemption. Don't count on it though.

FIFA will never allow a player to represent a country without citizenship. If his Canadian passport is the only issue, lobbying the Canadian government is likely to be successful. The basketball player, Samuel Dalembert was in a somewhat similar situation and exceptions were made to grant him citizenship.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I believe Greek citizenship is actually much more restrictive and ethnically based than in Germany. Things may have changed in modern times, but I remember hearing that Lord Byron was the first (and one of the only) foreign born people to be granted Greek citizenship.

The other thing to add regarding Grizzly's description of German citizenship rules is that I believe it's as sexist as it is racist. My mom was born in Ludwigsburg, outside Stuttgart. My grandma is from Berlin and my grandpa from Breslau (modern day Wroclaw, Poland). When I looked into it (briefly) I was told the German blood had to run through the father's side. To which I said frigg you too Germany, I'm glad we won the war. :)

I don't think it is sexist or racist at all. If the mother is a german citizen and has children out of wedlock these children would become german citizens according to the law from 1914. If your mom is a married german citizen and you were born after January 1. 1975 you would be a german citizen also. If anything the law seems complicated and has deadlines for applications to become a german citizen. What is wrong when a nation makes it difficult to obtain it's citizenship and puts some restrictions and regulations in place so it won't become a currency on the world black market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law

Archived