Stade Saputo expansion video

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is sick! Way nicer looking than I was picturing. I thought they might aim more for something like what Toronto has, but that's a really nice look with the small over hang all the way around, really nice with the rounded corners too! Makes me even more pissed than I already was about us not making the MLS.. Would be sick if the expansion still goes through for the stadium though.....

still not enough for MLS though. They'd need to destroy the old metal stands, make em concrete, have concessions underneath etc. Plus where are the extra private boxes? The little roof thing kinda hides that not much is different between this and the current stadium -- it just focused squarely on the new stand. not good enough to produce the ancillary revenues all teams share with the league.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

I would take this stadium (even thought some people say it is US high school like..) over a cavernous renovated CFL stadium anyday...

Steve I agree, but you know some people on here just like to stir sh!t. Its obvious anyone who says this stadium is high school standard, has never been to the stadium themselves, and if they have well they should have opened their eyes a little wider. Period.

quote:Originally posted by massimo

Steve I agree, but you know some people on here just like to stir sh!t. Its obvious anyone who says this stadium is high school standard, has never been to the stadium themselves, and if they have well they should have opened their eyes a little wider. Period.

I've been to SS a couple of times. While I've never been to any comparably-sized high school stadiums in the 'States, SS does appear to be lacking in some areas, notably when it comes to permanent concessions, private boxes, and the like.

Don't get me wrong, SS is not a bad facility; however, it has a long way to go before it's up to the standard of any soccer-specific stadium in MLS. There are a lot of cities bidding for MLS expansion teams, and the perception of cheapness doesn't help any city market its bid.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Thanks for finding and posting that CSF. It kinda kills me though, because they rightfully should be in MLS. If Garber and Co want a European feel to their league...Montreal is so over qualified to help achieve that.

"If Garber and Co want a European feel to their league...Montreal is so over qualified to help achieve that."

What on earth makes you think MLS and the US soccer market is interested in a European feel, they want a good ole' USA feel where bigger is better.

quote:Originally posted by MastaK

Maybe but there's atleast 8-9 MLS teams who don't even have a 20 000 soccer-specific stadium. Is that better?

Current MLS teams:

Chicago - Toyota Park (SSS, 21000)

Chivas USA - Home Depot Center (SSS, 27000)

Colorado - Dick's Sporting Good's Park (SSS, 18000)

Columbus - Columbus Crew Stadium (SSS, 20000)

DC United - RFK Stadium (Multipurpose, although DCU is sole tenant, 46000)

FC Dallas - Pizza Hut Park (SSS, 21000)

Houston - Robertson Stadium (NCAA Football, 32000... city council approved $10million land purchase for SSS)

Kansas City - Community America Ballpark (Baseball, 10385... currently building SSS for 2011)

LA Galaxy - Home Depot Center (SSS, 27000)

New England - Gilette Stadium (NFL, 68000)

New York - Giants Stadium (NFL, 80000... building Red Bull Arena for 2010)

Real Salt Lake - Rio Tinto Stadium (SSS, 20000)

San Jose - Buck Shaw Stadium (NCAA Soccer, 10000... SSS approved for 2011)

Seattle - Qwest Field (NFL, 67000)

Toronto FC - BMO Field (SSS, 20000)

Of the 15 current MLS teams, eight already play in soccer-specific stadia, with another two teams (KC and NY) currently building one, one team about to start construction this year (San Jose), and one team in the final stages of approval for a downtown site (Houston).

The two that play in NFL stadia (NE and Seattle) play rent-free as they are owned by the same people who own their respective buildings.

The stadium situation in MLS is far better in 2009 than it was even in 2006, and it'll be even better by next year with Red Bull Arena completed (it's already half-built).

Hopefully Montreal comes back to the MLS table in a few years with a better plan than just adding seats to Stade Saputo, as even Crew Stadium and BMO Field are far better in terms of generating the kind of revenue necessary for a viable MLS franchise.

Same goes for Vancouver, although obviously they would already have that calibre of stadium already built if not for the NIMBYs running their city. I hope BC Place is an adequate temporary solution.

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

I would take this stadium (even thought some people say it is US high school like..) over a cavernous renovated CFL stadium anyday...

Even as a Whitecaps fan, I agree with you!

The most important factor for MLS should be that the stadium is full, not the stadium itself. That would happen in Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Of the 15 current MLS teams, eight already play in soccer-specific stadia, with another two teams (KC and NY) currently building one, one team about to start construction this year (San Jose), and one team in the final stages of approval for a downtown site (Houston).

The two that play in NFL stadia (NE and Seattle) play rent-free as they are owned by the same people who own their respective buildings.

The stadium situation in MLS is far better in 2009 than it was even in 2006, and it'll be even better by next year with Red Bull Arena completed (it's already half-built).

Hopefully Montreal comes back to the MLS table in a few years with a better plan than just adding seats to Stade Saputo, as even Crew Stadium and BMO Field are far better in terms of generating the kind of revenue necessary for a viable MLS franchise.

Same goes for Vancouver, although obviously they would already have that calibre of stadium already built if not for the NIMBYs running their city. I hope BC Place is an adequate temporary solution.

As long as they have non-soccer specific stadiums in their league (and like you said they have 7), how could they say a 20 000 SSS wouldn't be enough for them. Truth is, $$$ matters to them.

^ I completely agree. MLS is still a gate driven league, while some of these facilities have the potential to generate revenue they simply aren't. Look no further than PHP and Dick SGP for examples. Very nice looking stadiums, but does anybody care to go to the games? Along with Columbus TFC probably has the worst SSS in MLS, but it really doesn't matter at this point because it's selling out.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

What is all this crap talk about concession stands.. Seems to me like a lame excuse to refuse a team joining your league. Having a soccer stadium with fans that fill it every week seems like a much more worthy reason to accept a franchise to a league...

Concession stands make money, ticket sales make money (particularly expensive tickets), private boxes make money, and TV deals make money. This is what MLS wants out of its expansion teams. Don Garber is not out to do any favours for Canada - he isn't an ambassador for Canadian football. An expansion bid from a Canadian city has to offer some significant prospects for money making in order to be considered above an American bid.

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

^ I completely agree. MLS is still a gate driven league, while some of these facilities have the potential to generate revenue they simply aren't. Look no further than PHP and Dick SGP for examples. Very nice looking stadiums, but does anybody care to go to the games? Along with Columbus TFC probably has the worst SSS in MLS, but it really doesn't matter at this point because it's selling out.

Probably not a good idea to throw PHP in that group, as FC Dallas is one of only three profitable teams in the league. PHP hosts events outside of MLS - such as high school football - so other revenue streams exist for that venue. Attendance may be low for FC Dallas games, but money is obviously being generated.

As for TFC, it really helps that we're selling out and not just giving away our tickets. Most MLS teams have the annoying habit of giving away thousands of tickets, and all that does is undermine the tickets that they try to sell. If Columbus reports a crowd of 15k and sells only 10k tickets, MLS only makes money on those 10k tickets. The league makes money on TFC selling 20,000 tickets per game in a broad price range. If Joey Saputo tried to convince Garber that Montreal could do the same - i.e. he sold deposits for MLS season tickets - maybe Garber would've turned a blind eye to the weak parts of Montreal's bid.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ Nah, Saputo's bid was discarded primarily because he refused to pay the $40 million asking price for the 'franchise'.

And he refused to pay the asking price because he lumped stadium expansion amounts into the total amount he wanted to pay.

So the stadium expansion issue was absolutely tied to the expansion fee issue.

There's no way Garber would have allowed Montreal in with that stadium as the "final version". It doesn't matter how many fans Montreal draws in if they aren't maximizing the revenue of those fans. And Saputo's comments about making sure the ticket prices were affordable meant he couldn't make up for the concession/private box shortfalls with ticket prices. I guess Saputo thinks this is sorta like charity rather than a business.

This isn't the 1920s when stadium revenues were the ticket revenues. Things have evolved greatly since then. Even with expansion, Saputo Stadium did not come close to having the infrastructure in place to be a hefty money generator now or down the line when the league grows.

not that impressive to me at least, its pretty much the same saputo we have now, but just filling the gaps with more aluminum stands, looks cheap, no private boxes, no sign of expanded concessions, the covered stand will still become a traffic jam with people walking infront of your view to pee, its simply not good enough

quote:Originally posted by morbital

not that impressive to me at least, its pretty much the same saputo we have now, but just filling the gaps with more aluminum stands, looks cheap, no private boxes, no sign of expanded concessions, the covered stand will still become a traffic jam with people walking infront of your view to pee, its simply not good enough

I still would rather have this stadium over a cavernous, renovated CFL stadium with plastic grass...

quote:Originally posted by jimmynow

And he refused to pay the asking price because he lumped stadium expansion amounts into the total amount he wanted to pay.

So the stadium expansion issue was absolutely tied to the expansion fee issue.

There's no way Garber would have allowed Montreal in with that stadium as the "final version". It doesn't matter how many fans Montreal draws in if they aren't maximizing the revenue of those fans. And Saputo's comments about making sure the ticket prices were affordable meant he couldn't make up for the concession/private box shortfalls with ticket prices. I guess Saputo thinks this is sorta like charity rather than a business.

This isn't the 1920s when stadium revenues were the ticket revenues. Things have evolved greatly since then. Even with expansion, Saputo Stadium did not come close to having the infrastructure in place to be a hefty money generator now or down the line when the league grows.

How many MLS franchises are "hefty money generators" now? 4 maybe 5?

Archived