why doesn't Vancouver,montreal and Ottawa

FutureStarCSL

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NHL may be well supported in Canada but it is now a US league with five Canadian based clubs who don't even play in a Canadian division (that's one-sixth of the league). Heck, we couldn't sustain NHL clubs in Quebec City or Winnipeg despite Canadian hockey mania. Regional junior leagues don't count when we're talking about top tier senior pro hockey or soccer. The best we could probably hope for now is a Canadian division of either or both MLS and USL-1 but that will require several more Canadian clubs and their support for such an arrangement. Don't hold your breath.

^With 63 cent dollars we wouldn't sustain an MLS team in Toronto (or Vancouver or Montreal)for very long either. Therein lies one of the dangers of a US dominated North American league, revenues in one currency, contracts and expences in the other.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The NHL may be well supported in Canada but it is now a US league with five Canadian based clubs who don't even play in a Canadian division (that's one-sixth of the league). Heck, we couldn't sustain NHL clubs in Quebec City or Winnipeg despite Canadian hockey mania. Regional junior leagues don't count when we're talking about top tier senior pro hockey or soccer. The best we could probably hope for now is a Canadian division of either or both MLS and USL-1 but that will require several more Canadian clubs and their support for such an arrangement. Don't hold your breath.

Not to be an ass or anything but there is 6 canadian clubs not 5...

Are you saying Canada can't support professional hockey? Don't confuse a pair of failed franchises. Every city over 650k in Canada has an NHL team. We couldn't keep Winnipeg and Quebec because of a combination of their business plans and the ridiculous salaries in the NHL. And in their wake the Moose are not only first place in the AHL but second in attendance in the league, and the Remparts draw an average of over 10,000.

Why don't we just capitulate our government, our economy and our entire way of life the Americans? We'll never be able to compete with them, right? Why do the Swiss have their own leagues? The Scottish, the Irish, all over the world... Equatorial Guineau, the size of a postage stamp just won the Women's African Championship (three hermaphrodites in the roster or not). Half a million people parked next door to 20 million in Cameroon.

I like to think Canadian soccer is a lot more than just a bit playing chump in the US Soccer organization.

I didn't say Canada can't support professional hockey, with six NHL teams we obviously do. I said we can't support our own independent national top tier pro hockey league in the face of competition from the NHL. Very different. We even support professional soccer with three currently very successful essentially top tier pro teams (by North American standards).

When was the last time you compared the geographical area and major city distribution of Canada with the countries you rattled off as examples where domestic leagues exist: Switzerland, Ireland, Scotland, Equatorial Guinea...?

A pro league ultimately has to be commercially viable i.e. income must at least equal expenditure otherwise guess what!

Actually it was just the other day :) The Quebec City - Windsor corridor is more people in an area similar to most African countries, and they are many, many times poorer. Spain is about the same population as Canada and their league is one of the best in the world and they are all in an area the size of the corridor.

Your points are all valid and wise. I understand all the logic why it can't happen. But then I remember a guy called Columbus...

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Hockey is Canadian. The NHL is Canadian. We exported the game to the sunny States for crying out loud. We are a victim of our own success, and if we brought the game back to the country it would be a Hell of a lot better for our culture, the game and real fans.

We even have a GREAT and hugely successful JUNIOR hockey league.

US dollars vs. Canadian dollars, there's your problem. Let's not even get into the taxes debate.

"Our" players are businessmen. They need to make as much as possible in the 15 - 20 years that is a career.

quote:Originally posted by FutureStarCSL

why doesn't Vancouver,Montreal and Ottawa jus invest each of their 30 million dollers into the CSL.

They should each by 3 teams for 10 million dollers and invest through that,once they have made back the 10 million from each 3 teams they bought they can sell those 3 teams to deep pockets for the 10 million so they have their money back.

thats 9 teams for 90 million dollers plus Montreal,Vancouver and Ottawa, makes a league of 12 teams,which is bigger the the A-league

I was all over this idea 4 months ago. You have to start somewhere.

http://forum.vancouversouthsiders.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=2416&KW=csl

With due respect to all the "studies" and "reports" on a national based league...those studies occurred long before Greg Kerfoot and Joey Saputo started opening their chequebooks for the game.

To suggest that a Canadian league wouldn't work, when there will actually be MORE travel for Canadian based MLS teams, doesn't really make sense, when you factor in the exchange rate.

I'm not trying to re-open the age old debate...I'm just saying the landscape and commitment of ownership is vastly different from the study done 10 or so years ago.

The MLS has no business asking a $ 40 million expansion fee with David Beckham leaving the league. Even Landon Donovan may leave also.

The expansion fee should be renegotiated.

Don Garber lives in a world of Fantasy. He should book a hotel room at the FantasyLand Hotel in Edmonton

quote:Originally posted by Grandstander

Why would it be 3 teams? See my post above and click on the link.

It's an interesting thought but I don't think the three you are mentioning would be interested in sharing the wealth - if you could get to six backers and each was initially allowed to lose money spread over two teams... the original MLS model developed because of strong leadership from not just the league but the National Association does any of this sound like our current situation?

Want to make a million in soccer start with six...you'll soon be left with one

Well you're absolutely right. Make no bones about it. The thought of a league started like MLS with a few owners owning everything, then selling franchises off over time would be the model. You obviously have to find backers/benefactors who would do it for love of the game, and growth of the sport. You won't make money, at least not right away.

I don't think the argument is about trying to use the MLS model in Canada...at least not on the same scale. The big 3 (Van Tor MTL) would strive for the support they get now. It's the secondary markets where you'd have to be more realistic, an strive to develop Canadian Players for the national team.

And all this talk about making money...does anyone honestly think owners are realistically expecting to make a fortune in the MLS? Vancouver is going to operate non-profit. It's about owning the stadium properties and having events to fill them.

Archived