MLS stalling to help St. Louis win over Vancouver

spiral

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

Maybe we should do some guerilla marketing of our own? I am not sure when the new franchises will be announced but it is supposed to be a few weeks into the new season. Maybe, we should do a Southsider / Fan run down to Seattle for the home opener March 19th. Colours flying and all. Will it influence a decision maybe yes, maybe no. Should the answer be yes, the rivalry will be off to a great start. MLS execs have to be crazy not to put a few teams in a specific geographic location to fuel rivalries and passions. Could you imagine Portland, Seattle and Vancouver having teams? These rivalries would far outdo a Van/TO one IMHO. The league would win huge not to mention the resulting economic benefits from tourism and such.

Best idea I've heard in this whole thread! The Cascadia Cup rivalry is already well known to MLS and they are looking for just this type of activity.

What might get more fans down is to the pre-season game they might be having. On the Caps sight they were talking about some friendlies with Seattle & Portland (is that possible? ;) )

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

I used to be on Big Soccer, but except for the odd thread it can be really superficial. But if someone is on regularly I think a bit of marketing there is a good idea, it is all about making waves (catching waves).

I am not so sure how susceptible MLS is to buzz, but you can be sure they don't want to give the franchises to the only reasonable bids left standing, it makes them look like they are taking any old thing. So if it looks like they are bolstering any bid, it probably means they need it to look better when they give the franchise to someone else.

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Best idea I've heard in this whole thread! The Cascadia Cup rivalry is already well known to MLS and they are looking for just this type of activity.

What might get more fans down is to the pre-season game they might be having. On the Caps sight they were talking about some friendlies with Seattle & Portland (is that possible? ;) )

If Vancouver played a friendly at Qwest Field, and brought down a big group of supporters it would certainly make a statement to the MLS.

Well if vancouversoccerman isn't going to step up to the plate and raise some hell over on bigsoccer.com, then I will...

Anyone else willing to join me and start boosting Vancouver over there?

We gotta raise that Volume level. Enough with that Miami and St. Louis crapp.

If we're big enough for the Olympics we sure as hell are big enough for decent soccer.

You guys with me on this????????????????????

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

If Vancouver played a friendly at Qwest Field, and brought down a big group of supporters it would certainly make a statement to the MLS.

Regardless if the 'Caps are playing there or not i think it would be making a statement. Yes, it would fuel passions and it would be a show of support for the game here in Van. and if, heaven forbid, we are not awarded a team in the MLS it would be a great act of defiance. If organized, we could include the media (both here and Seattle) as part of what ever it is we will be doing. I don't want to get ahead of myself here. I just think it would be great if a group of 'Cap fans showed up wearing our colours and showing support for Us and the game....

quote:Originally posted by pulsar

Regardless if the 'Caps are playing there or not i think it would be making a statement. Yes, it would fuel passions and it would be a show of support for the game here in Van. and if, heaven forbid, we are not awarded a team in the MLS it would be a great act of defiance. If organized, we could include the media (both here and Seattle) as part of what ever it is we will be doing. I don't want to get ahead of myself here. I just think it would be great if a group of 'Cap fans showed up wearing our colours and showing support for Us and the game....

I few Southsiders are talking about going down to Seattle for the 2009 MLS season opener. We should know by then whether Vancouver will be in or not. In any case, unfurl a few banners, maybe get on ESPN, and start building on that rivarly with Seattle.

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSwede

I think the question begs itself as to what happens to the state of Canadian soccer if Vancouver isn't given a franchise spot? Do they wait until other next round? The MLS is an american league and those who run it will base their priorities on expanding the game in the United States. They don't care about the state of the game in Canada.

I know the question has been asked before, but could Canada sustain its own league? With the amount of potential money being invested in the game it could be possible. You have two teams and one big investor who want to invest in teams in Canada which would make 4 pro soccer teams : Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal. You pool that 3x40$ million and you have a lot of money to invest in a possible league. If they worked together they could use the money to start up new franchises and then sell them later on as was done by AEG when the MLS began.

Australia has a smaller population than Canada and is somehow making it work. Hell, Adelaide United made it to the AFC Champions League this year. There is also more expansion on the way with Gold Coast United coming in this year. Furthermore, soccer takes a back seat in Australian sports culture. Stadiums may not be full but they're making it work from what I can see.

I guess I would love to see this happen as much as the next guy but there is definitely more money to be made in the MLS and TFC would never leave. I know it's a pipe dream but I feel that eventually a Canadian league will be needed.

enough of my musings....

I don't know the correct answer of which would be better. All I know is that I'm going to support my local team as much as possible. That is something we all should be doing despite what league they play in. That is the only way to build the game.

In an ideal world, we would have the BPL in Canada. But we don't. Should we try to build toward that? Maybe. Is there appetite for it? I think so. Would it succeed? I don't know. That is where the problem is. The last thing we need is another failure. If we keep building and supporting our clubs, the rest of the country will get caught up in this. Do you think Melnyk would be looking at MLS if Toronto wasn't such a success. No way!!

Baby steps. Lets get more teams in MLS, grow the Voyageur's cup, get other cities to follow. Maybe we'll fall upon a Canadian league by accident? Maybe Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal will outgrow MLS? Who knows? But as long as we keep progressing, only good things will come of it.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Yes, but the league's theme song will go like this:

"M-I-C... K-E-Y... M-O-U-S-E..."

A new CSL will only take a backseat to MLS, just as the CFL takes backseat to the NFL.

That's not meant as an insult to the CFL, but the sport's best players will always prefer a US-based league over one of ours.

Why?

$$$$$$$$$ + international credibility.

And the inferiority complex prevails...

There is no reason that a Canadian league could not sustain itself right now. We've all seen the salaries that some players in MLS make, so it's difficult to argue that a CSL couldn't be competitive.

I love the Vancouver naysayers. The strongest bid by so far...the most established club, with championship heritage, the best youth development on the continent, and people still think they'll be declined.

Yeah the league is stalling for Portland and St Louis...because they want to announce all 4 at once and collect 160 million dollars to spread amongst the current cash starved owners.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I love the Vancouver naysayers. The strongest bid by so far...the most established club, with championship heritage, the best youth development on the continent, and people still think they'll be declined.

Yeah the league is stalling for Portland and St Louis...because they want to announce all 4 at once and collect 160 million dollars to spread amongst the current cash starved owners.

More than likely that Vancouver is the fallback option in the case of MLS. Vancouver may have everything going for it, yet it is still behind Portland and St. Louis for the bid possibilities.

Portland is still in the lead when it comes to expansion.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Vancouver clearly has the most solid bid right now, and it would be logical for them to win expansion based on bid strength. But I don't think they will, because they are a Canadian city. MLS doesn't owe Canada anymore franchises. MLS is an American league and its easy to forget that with Toronto FC's inclusion. Vancouver and Ottawa are only fallback options.

From poster on BigSoccer:

My honest opinion is that MLS will bend over backwards to let in two U.S. cities simply because it's more attractive to U.S. based business that could potentially invest and it will also help to improve TV ratings so that when they go to the table to negotiate a new deal they can hopefully get a similar or better deal than the one they have right now

^^ not at all Rudi. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Voyageur Cup bring in decent crowds, CBC coverage and sponsors? Samsung and Nutrilite if I do recall. Outside of TFC games, you can't see MLS games at all in Canada on any Canadian network.

What gives the MLS so much more appeal than an all Canadian league? Whats the difference between watching a hypothetical TFC vs. Winnipeg or TFC vs. Kansas City? Not a lot.

On a further note, I am sick of hearing that a possible CSL would have no respect when the MLS doesn't either. People don't give a rats ass about the MLS outside of the US and Canada. Even then nobody really cares about it. I probably wouldn't either if TFC wasn't in it. If there was a stable league structure focused on gradual expansion, I am convinced that it could work. Babysteps of course.

A Canadian league will eventually be needed. I am convinced.

Archived