U-20 South American Championships on Gol TV

Canuck Oranje

Bolivia 1-5 Paraguay

This game was actually close up until the last 20 mins. or so (2-1). The young Bolivians have 5 players born in '92 that will be able to return in 2 years time. Unfortunately this time around they just didn't have what it took to even secure 1 point.

Chile 0-2 Brasil

Didn't watch this game, but the result leaves Chile and Paraguay fighting over the 3rd spot in their last match against each other. Since Paraguay have 4 points to Chiles' 3 points, the impetus will be on Chile to go all out for the win. Brasil and Uruguay will face off for 1st place in Group B.

^ Watched the Chile - Brasil match and it was OK. Chile had a great chance early 2nd half, the score still 1-0, but somehow a hard shot from the right came off the far post and then back across the front of the net, when 99% of the time it would have caromed into the net. Poor luck but Brasil had more skill all around.

An incredible ending to Venezuela vs. Colombia. With the score tied 1-1 in second-half injury time, Venezuela were going to advance in first place and Colombia were headed to a coin toss with Ecuador for the last spot. But then Colombia were (probably incorrectly) awarded a penalty kick: score and they would advance in first place, bring Ecuador along with them, and knock out the hosts. But they missed, with the keeper (a couple of yards off his line) guessing right and knocking the ball away. It was literally the last kick of the game, as the Venezuelan players and fans went wild.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qujr_dbkU

So Colombia went to a coin toss, which they won anyway. Ecuador ended up the victims of the missed PK.

The US commentators basically came out and said the ref was in somebody's pocket for the Argentina - Ecuador game. The decisions against Argentina were hard and often. Reduced to 10 men when the scorer of the tying Argentine goal (2-2) is red-carded when he didn't take his shirt off. Yellow for sfa in a few cases yet an Ecuador defender almost beheaded a player with a high boot as the Argies went on a fast break, not even a yellow.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

An incredible ending to Venezuela vs. Colombia. With the score tied 1-1 in second-half injury time, Venezuela were going to advance in first place and Colombia were headed to a coin toss with Ecuador for the last spot. But then Colombia were (probably incorrectly) awarded a penalty kick: score and they would advance in first place, bring Ecuador along with them, and knock out the hosts. But they missed, with the keeper (a couple of yards off his line) guessing right and knocking the ball away. It was literally the last kick of the game, as the Venezuelan players and fans went wild.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=_9qujr_dbkU

So Colombia went to a coin toss, which they won anyway. Ecuador ended up the victims of the missed PK.

That's gotta suck for the Ecuadorean kids!

So that's Argentina, Venezuala and Colombia from Group A along with Brasil, Uruguay and either Chile or Parguay from Group B.

Paraguay 2-1 Chile

Chile looked in the drivers seat until Paraguayan striker Santander scored twice within a minute. After what happened at the U20WC opener in Toronto 2 years ago i'm sure most of us won't be missing the Chileans...

Brasil 2-3 Uruguay

In the first half Uruguay opened the scoring and the Brasilians came right back to tie it. In the second, Brasil took the lead and Uruguay evened things up. With a few minutes to go in the match Uruguays Abel Hernandez scored a great goal on a break away to seal Uruguay as Group B winners.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Brasil 2-3 Uruguay

In the first half Uruguay opened the scoring and the Brasilians came right back to tie it. In the second, Brasil took the lead and Uruguay evened things up. With a few minutes to go in the match Uruguays Abel Hernandez scored a great goal on a break away to seal Uruguay as Group B winners.

This means that Brasil and Uruguay meet again in two days time. Bizarre format this tournament has. The big Brasil - Argentina clash occurs on Monday.

It's worthwhile looking at the history of how some teams who do well in the first round and then collapse in the final round robin.

Typically, the traditional powers start out slow and get stronger.

Here is a link to a Brazilian site that has the 2007 results archived. It's in Portuguese but still fairly easy to follow because the organization is the same as the current tournament.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/campeonatos/sulamericanosub20/2007/index.jhtm

Colombia finished in first place in its group in 2007 and then ended in last place in the final round robin.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

It's worthwhile looking at the history of how some teams who do well in the first round and then collapse in the final round robin.

Typically, the traditional powers start out slow and get stronger.

Here is a link to a Brazilian site that has the 2007 results archived. It's in Portuguese but still fairly easy to follow because the organization is the same as the current tournament.

http://esporte.uol.com.br/futebol/campeonatos/sulamericanosub20/2007/index.jhtm

Colombia finished in first place in its group in 2007 and then ended in last place in the final round robin.

^ Yes but Colombia is not a traditional power on this age group, on the other hand Uruguay is.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1784/south-american-u-20/2009/01/15/1062579/history-of-the-u-20-south-american-championship

When I was thinking traditional powers, I was thinking Brazil and Argentina.

As far as I'm concerned Colombia and Uruguay deserve to be considered at the same level since both appeared close to the same number of times among those qualifying for the World Tournament over the most recent 20 years.

I think Uruguay faced a much more focused Brazil team today and only brought it to 3-2 with the last kick of the game.

What you mean is that just in recent years Brazil started wining this tournament.

I wouldn't be so big headed about a country that can choose players from a population of 190 million people and hardly beat one that can only choose from 3.5 million!! :D and I'm not including Argentina with 40 million, I mean come on.... Brazil should hardy ever loose a game in south america, too bad they do too often against Argentina and Uruguay.

I got this info from my girlfriends cousin who's Argentinian, is it accurate?

just kidding I know you're Brazilian ;)

Actually I'm Canadian but I have personal contacts and business interests in Brazil.

My point was simply that the big countries (population-wise) tend to start slowly. At the same time, attrition tends to favour countries with deep rosters (cards and injuries).

It was never intended to favour one country over another.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

What you mean is that just in recent years Brazil started wining this tournament.

I wouldn't be so big headed about a country that can choose players from a population of 190 million people and hardly beat one that can only choose from 3.5 million!! :D and I'm not including Argentina with 40 million, I mean come on.... Brazil should hardy ever loose a game in south america, too bad they do too often against Argentina and Uruguay.

I got this info from my girlfriends cousin who's Argentinian, is it accurate?

just kidding I know you're Brazilian ;)

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in who wins this tournament. The main goal is to qualify. Kind of like the CONMEBOL WC qualifying for seniors. Even though it is a "league/single-table" format, nobody puts much emphasis on finishing in first-place.

The best CONMEBOL u-20 team is determined in the world cup final tournament, not the qualifying for it. Argentina has proven itself to be the world's best at the under-20 level time and time again. I mean, it isn't even close! But the current crop of players don't seem to have as much skill as in the last 10-15 years. Maybe they're missing a big player or two(?), not sure. But they're going to have huge problems just to qualify, that for damn sure!

^ Who?

wow Argentina saved their ass in the last 30 seconds against Venezuela!

Standings

Team GP G E P GF GC +/- Points

Brazil 4 4 0 0 10 3 7 12

Uruguay 4 2 1 1 8 7 1 7

Paraguay 4 1 2 1 7 5 2 5

Venezuela 4 1 1 2 3 8 -5 4

Colombia 4 1 0 3 5 7 -2 3

Argentina 4 0 2 2 3 6 -3 2

Brazil and Uruguay are in, everybody else is got a chance still.

Last games

08.02.09 Puerto La Cruz Argentina - Colombia

08.02.09 Puerto La Cruz Paraguay - Brazil

08.02.09 Puerto La Cruz Venezuela - Uruguay

Archived