Canadians abroad: January 16-22, 2009

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for January 16-22, 2009.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Imhof plays 90, Fernandes too, as Bochum beat Tianjin TEDA FC from China 3-0 in their last game in Maspalomas, Alicante.

They are back in Germany on Monday and play a friendly vs. Frankfurt on Wednesday. Season starts up again Feb 1.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

League One:

Carlisle United - MIlton Keynes Dons (Gerba starts on the bench)

Unless Wilbraham gets an injury or a suspension, it will be pretty hard for Gerba (or Flo, for that matter) to start ahead of him any time soon: two more goals today, making it six goals in the last six matches for the Dons' big striker.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

They lost 3-2 and Gerba didn't play. Ali should look for another club IMO. It's clear he won,t play unless there's an injury and if they move to the CCC I doubt he'll be in their future plans. Might be better moving to another League One club.

Well, for what it's worth, Wilbraham did get booked today but I don't know how close he is to being forced to the bench for a game suspension. Also today, Flo remained on the pine.

Gillingham continue their good form with a 0-1 away win at Morecambe.

Jackson does not score, but plays the 90 - picking up a yellow card late in the game.

Gillingham remain in the promotion hunt, lurking just outside the play-off zone. The Jackson transfer rhumours have quieted down and it would seem that Simeon will remain with the Gills for the rest of the season.

Should they manage to get promoted, I would like to see Jackson sign a one year extension with them. As he is the star player, the team system is set-up for him, so he holds a strong position with the club.

quote:Originally posted by doopy

"Magpies full-back David Edgar was harshly adjudged to have fouled McCarthy at the far post and the South African stepped up to smash the penalty past Given."-sky sports

Strange, Soccernet says:

"Emerton's hanging right-wing cross was destined for McCarthy at the far post until Jose Enrique sent the striker tumbling to the floor.

Referee Rob Styles pointed to the spot and the South Africa international picked himself up to fire past Given."

I caught the end of the match after the PK had been awarded. The announcer mentioned Edgar had committed the foul.

On the 3rd goal Jose Enrique lost the ball on the left side and the ball was switched over to the right flank, Edgar was slow to get back as he was upfield for some reason (might have been playing both RB and RM after Butt was sent off?). Anyways, the left mid for Blackburn got deep into the box and crossed it across the face of goal for Jason Roberts to smash home. Hard to say if Edgar was responsible, but it's possible he was. Guess only Kinnear and his teammates know if that's the case. The announcer said the Newcastle defence disintegrated on that play. Barton was pissed at Enrique after the goal and Bassong had to seperate them.

I really don't think Edgar was at fault for any of the goals, including the penalty -though that may be debatable in a Ray Lewis murder charge sort of way. I just don't think he's a fullback. I can't understand for the life of me why he and Bassong don't switch positions? Or, better yet, when Taylor comes back, put Edgar in at DM and let N'Zogbia play as the attacking mid. The defence catches all the blame but central mids are woeful. How can Nicky Butt still be stealing a living in the Premiership???

video highlights...a shame for edgar...he was out of position, but he did not foul...a bad break for a guy who could use one...2 penalties in only a few games....not good when you are trying to impress...unfortunate.

http://www.fcfootballblog.com/2009/01/18/blackburn-rovers-3-0-newcastle-highlights/

from BBC:

The major talking point of the match came moments after when a long ball found McCarthy in the area and he tumbled to the ground under a seemingly innocuous challenge from Newcastle defender Edgar.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear on the penalty:

"I could never see that coming.

"We were in control and I am very disappointed with the decision. It was the turning point for the game.

"The penalty made all the difference. It was harsh. I think that is the third time this season that referee Rob Styles has given a penalty against us."

the middle video has kinnear's comments on the penalty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7815601.stm

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I really don't think Edgar was at fault for any of the goals, including the penalty -though that may be debatable in a Ray Lewis murder charge sort of way. I just don't think he's a fullback. I can't understand for the life of me why he and Bassong don't switch positions? Or, better yet, when Taylor comes back, put Edgar in at DM and let N'Zogbia play as the attacking mid. The defence catches all the blame but central mids are woeful. How can Nicky Butt still be stealing a living in the Premiership???

Just out of curiosity, when Edgar has started or subbed in over the last two seasons in the Prem, how many times has he actually played CB?

quote:Originally posted by tarnado

Paul Stalteri was on the field for Monchengladbach in a friendly match against Shakhtar Donetsk. He is playing left back and is wearing number 45. BM are down 3-0 as Fernandinho blows by Stalteri to get into the box to set up the third goal. Diesel gets subbed out shortly after on minute 67.

Where did you see this or this from a match report?

Saturday

England

Conference Premier

Mansfield 1-0 Crawley (Rayner)

Rayner plays 90 mins

Scotland

SPL

Hamilton 1-0 Inverness CT (Hastings)

Hastings plays 90 mins

1st Division

Dundee (Pozniak) 0-0 Morton

Pozniak off the bench on 59 mins.

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

video highlights...a shame for edgar...he was out of position, but he did not foul...a bad break for a guy who could use one...2 penalties in only a few games....not good when you are trying to impress...unfortunate.

http://www.fcfootballblog.com/2009/01/18/blackburn-rovers-3-0-newcastle-highlights/

from BBC:

The major talking point of the match came moments after when a long ball found McCarthy in the area and he tumbled to the ground under a seemingly innocuous challenge from Newcastle defender Edgar.

Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear on the penalty:

"I could never see that coming.

"We were in control and I am very disappointed with the decision. It was the turning point for the game.

"The penalty made all the difference. It was harsh. I think that is the third time this season that referee Rob Styles has given a penalty against us."

the middle video has kinnear's comments on the penalty:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/7815601.stm

That was a terrible call, he didn't even make any contact with McCarthy, a clear dive. On the positive side though that is a pretty accurate and long throw-in that he makes earlier in the video. If he can do this consistently, having him and Serioux in the lineup would make every offensive zone throw-in a possible scoring chance for us.

Archived