Roberto Brown or Peter Byers?

Mr.Impact

Seems like Nick Desantis is going to have to choose between one or the other, but not both (heard this on a RDS interview). I prefer Roberto Brown who has a knackj for scoring important goals. Byers is a raw talent, still needs some schooling to improve his finishing(sem-finals against Vancouver home-leg, missed at least 3 sitters).

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Seems like Nick Desantis is going to have to choose between one or the other, but not both (heard this on a RDS interview). I prefer Roberto Brown who has a knackj for scoring important goals. Byers is a raw talent, still needs some schooling to improve his finishing(sem-finals against Vancouver home-leg, missed at least 3 sitters).

Seems like it will be Brown because according to an article i read this morning in the Journal de Montréal(Jan. 9th), Peter Byers signed with the San Jose Earthquakes..

Sorry i don't have a web link to this story as the JdM does not have a proper online edition..

quote:Originally posted by SteveBeau

Seems like it will be Brown because according to an article i read this morning in the Journal de Montréal(Jan. 9th), Peter Byers signed with the San Jose Earthquakes..

Sorry i don't have a web link to this story as the JdM does not have a proper online edition..

Wow I'm shocked! Don't get me wrong, he's talented, but I would have never tagged him for the MLS, based on his inconsistant play with the Impact. Best of luck to him.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Wow I'm shocked! Don't get me wrong, he's talented, but I would have never tagged him for the MLS, based on his inconsistant play with the Impact. Best of luck to him.

Hopefully for San Jose he'll improving his finishing around the net, because last year at times, he was absolutely brutal...

Yah, frankly I'm a bit shocked that he signed with the Earthquake. When reading the article on the Impact site I was expecting them to explain that he wasn't resigning because the Impact didn't want him, not that a team of so called "higher" ranking had signed him. Shows the quality of the MLS when a player that stank for a USL team is picked up by and MLS team. Brown isn't a huge amount better, but has a knack for poaching some goals at important times. I'm happy with the result, as I was pretty disappointed with Byers showing last season.

quote:Originally posted by Bratworst

Shows the quality of the San Jose Earthquakes when a player that stank for a USL team is picked up by the Quakes.

FYP.

To be fair, Frank Yallop has a history of taking USL players and turning them into servicable MLS players.

I don't think he stunk with the Impact but his finishing was terrible. Still in 7 USL games he scored 3 goals which was a lot better than Brown though Brown was better in the CCL games. Byers has some good skills and speed and if his finishing improves he could be a strong player in either MLS or USL. I am not that sorry about losing him either because whether his finishing improves is a big "if". Yet if he is not that expensive it is certainly worth taking a flyer on him because he has the raw talent to be a good player. Don't forget he came from the Trindadian league and I would venture that even the USL is a pretty big step up in level of play so he may need more than 3 months to get accustomed to a higher level.

Archived