Canucks in Germany - January 2009

Guest Ed

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neuville has been injured or trying to regain fitness after recovering from his various injuries for most of the season and this is the reason he hasn't played much and mostly as a sub. He just extended his contract to 2010 last week. Once he is back in shape he will start again. Meyer is one of the best coaches in Germany, if he can't turn this team around noone can.

I am starting to get pumped for Paul Stalteri's return to the Bundesliga. Here's Meyer's right hand man, the man to lead them to safety!! Friendly against Grasshoppers Zurich today in Grand Canaries.

167614,0.jpg

'Gladbach up on Zurich Grasshoppers 2-1 at halftime.

Finishes 4-2 for Gladbach. Stalteri plays left back on the night. Friend set up both 1st half goals and had the 3rd on his own. Here's the stats:

Borussia: Bailly (46. Heimeroth) – Levels (70. Gohouri), Brouwers, Daems (46. Callsen-Bracker), Stalteri – Bradley, Galasek (57. Baumjohann), Paauwe – Matmour (66. Alberman), Friend (70. Colautti), Marin (57. van den Bergh). Tore: 1:0 Paauwe (18.), 2:0 Bradley (25.), 2:1 dos Santos (36., Elfmeter), 3:1 Friend (53.), 4:1 Baumjohann (74.), 4:2 dos Santos (81., Elfmeter). Zuschauer: 1000.

1860 Muenchen continue their training in Tenerife. They won an exhibition game 1-0 last night, but Nik L is out with tendinitis of the knee.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

'Gladbach up on Zurich Grasshoppers 2-1 at halftime.

Finishes 4-2 for Gladbach. Stalteri plays left back on the night. Friend set up both 1st half goals and had the 3rd on his own. Here's the stats:

Borussia: Bailly (46. Heimeroth) – Levels (70. Gohouri), Brouwers, Daems (46. Callsen-Bracker), Stalteri – Bradley, Galasek (57. Baumjohann), Paauwe – Matmour (66. Alberman), Friend (70. Colautti), Marin (57. van den Bergh). Tore: 1:0 Paauwe (18.), 2:0 Bradley (25.), 2:1 dos Santos (36., Elfmeter), 3:1 Friend (53.), 4:1 Baumjohann (74.), 4:2 dos Santos (81., Elfmeter). Zuschauer: 1000.

Is LB expected to be his regular position, or are they just taking advantage of his versatility to try out somebody else at RB?

It's been stressed in the German press that he can play either side but as laid out in the article I posted yesterday ('Questions re Meyer's System'), the intent is to have him play right back. However, they might be looking at alternative formations as the big centre half Dante is out now for a while.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Is he literally obsessed with relegation battles?

He seems to be. He is a strange guy though probably the most likeable coach in the Bundesliga. He either promotes a team from 2nd BL or prevents them from relegating and will stay a couple of years and is usually successful but then decides he wants to retire and says this time it is final. However, it seems he gets bored at home and a club in relegation danger always calls him since he is known for saving relegated clubs. The media is always happy when he returns because he is famous for funny sarcastic comments at all of his press conferences.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

He seems to be. He is a strange guy though probably the most likeable coach in the Bundesliga. He either promotes a team from 2nd BL or prevents them from relegating and will stay a couple of years and is usually successful but then decides he wants to retire and says this time it is final. However, it seems he gets bored at home and a club in relegation danger always calls him since he is known for saving relegated clubs. The media is always happy when he returns because he is famous for funny sarcastic comments at all of his press conferences.

Apart from his personal character, I would say most leagues have coaches that fill that sort of role. They promote teams, are not kept, are hired by another to save them from relegation. Perhaps these coaches have a special psychological ability to handle tense or high-stress situations at clubs. In Spain Javier Clemente now does this, and Mané, the Espanyol coach, has promoted unlikely teams like Lleida and took Alavés to the UEFA final, voted 2nd best coach in Europe in 2001. He was hired specifically to do the job for Espanyol: save them from relegation.

originally posted by Grizzly

This was perfectly characterised. He is someone who polarizes. I´m sure he will save M´G. He will bring them up. But he has somewhen his wear marks. Shown that Nürnberg relegated after winning the German Cup with him.

Nice to see Daniel Imhof going 90 minutes today as VfL Bochum beat some Chinese side 3-0 today, Dani Fernandes getting the s/o.

Josh Simpson got on for the last 15 minutes as FC Kaiserslautern beat Energie Cottbus 2-1 today to win some tournament in Cyprus. They had defeated FC St Pauli in the semifinals.

quote:Originally posted by frank

Josh will probably have one of his carrer highlight tonight, when FCK meets Bayern Munich to a friendly game at the Betzenberg. Already 42,000 tickets are sold.

Frank don't be so pessimistic. Josh and Kaiserslautern will promote this year and play Bayern regularly in league matches. Friendlies will be a distant memory not career highlights.

Some odds and ends.

Good interview with Stalteri done just after Christmas. Find a link to the podcast in the 'Dale Mitchell Interview with Full Time' thread in this subforum.

Partly as a result of the Bayern loan deal for Donovan, Podolski has been granted a transfer. The wily Hoeness gets back his investment as he ships Podolski back to his hometown FC Koeln. No help for Koeln this season as the transfer of the local hero happens this summer.

And, watch for the wheels to fall off the Hoffenheim express, as they had a huge blow over the break, losing Bundesliga 1 top scorer Ibisivec to torn knee ligaments. Looks like the Bomber's goal scoring record (40 goals in 71/72) will remain safe for another year.

AND, Donovan scores to make it 2-0, as he comes on as a mid 2nd half sub for FC Bayern in their exhibition match today at the Betzenberg. Josh Simpson on for the last 20 minutes or so for K'town.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Some odds and ends.

Good interview with Stalteri done just after Christmas. Find a link to the podcast in the 'Dale Mitchell Interview with Full Time' thread in this subforum.

Partly as a result of the Bayern loan deal for Donovan, Podolski has been granted a transfer. The wily Hoeness gets back his investment as he ships Podolski back to his hometown FC Koeln. No help for Koeln this season as the transfer of the local hero happens this summer.

And, watch for the wheels to fall off the Hoffenheim express, as they had a huge blow over the break, losing Bundesliga 1 top scorer Ibisivec to torn knee ligaments. Looks like the Bomber's goal scoring record (40 goals in 71/72) will remain safe for another year.

AND, Donovan scores to make it 2-0, as he comes on as a mid 2nd half sub for FC Bayern in their exhibition match today at the Betzenberg. Josh Simpson on for the last 20 minutes or so for K'town.

Was that Gerd Muller's nickname too?

quote:originally posted by Grizzly

Frank don't be so pessimistic. Josh and Kaiserslautern will promote this year and play Bayern regularly in league matches. Friendlies will be a distant memory not career highlights.

I love your optimismn Grizzly and I hope you´re right. But I see it different. Surely Bayern Munich was not the scale, but the game yesterday showed that they are far away from the level you need to compete in the Bundesliga. Especially our midfield showed a lot of playful deficits. And probably this will decide the promotion race. Hopefully Josh will have a great comeback after his injury and can score the important goals as he did last year:)

Will likely start as second striker Erik Jendrisek teared a muscle yesterday.

They may not be 1st Bundesliga level but in the space of one year they have gone from relegation candidate number 1 to a promotion spot. With the added revenues of playing in the 1st Bundesliga I am sure they could improve the team enough to avoid relegation. It is not the teams of Bayern's quality that they will need to beat to stay up. My team is in a relegation spot in the 4th division so be happy Frank!

Short report in the Hamburger Abendblatt today grades the players heading into the 2nd half after the FC St Pauli training camp in Cyprus. Right off the top, holding midfielder Gouiffe a Goufan and striker David Hoilett Jr. are singled out as having great camps.

Earlier in the week, the same news source labels David Jr as the 'top' heading into the 2nd round, calling him 'the talent of the century' and expecting him to perform miracles in the 2nd half with his speed and dribbling.

154083_2v1.jpg

Some big exposure for David Jr. this week as his club hosts FC Schalke 04 tomorrow and VfL Wolfsburg on Saturday.

quote:Originally quoted by Grizzly

They may not be 1st Bundesliga level but in the space of one year they have gone from relegation candidate number 1 to a promotion spot. With the added revenues of playing in the 1st Bundesliga I am sure they could improve the team enough to avoid relegation. It is not the teams of Bayern's quality that they will need to beat to stay up. My team is in a relegation spot in the 4th division so be happy Frank!

I fully agree with you. When I think back a year ago, the team was already relegated, the club nearly at the end. The develpoment of the last half year is increidable. But perhaps this goes to fast. If they will finally promote, I would celebrate it and would have a beer on you for your support, but I still have my concerns. Let´s talk about it in 6-8 weeks...

Archived