Bircham hangs up his boots

loyola

Sad news as YTFC fans website is reporting that Marc Bircham is retiring.

Bircham Hangs Up His Boots

Yeovil Town midfielder Marc Bircham has announced his decision to retire from the game. The 30 year old has been out since the start of September with an ankle injury, and this has been the final nail in the coffin in an injury-ravaged spell at Huish Park.

The former Queens Park Rangers hero appeared on BBC Radio 5Live this morning, and explained that although back and hamstring problems had caused him problems last year at Yeovil, that it was the ankle injury that finally finished him off:

"The last one and the final straw was my ankle injury. I've been struggling with my back and ankle for a couple of years, but in September I turned my ankle in a tackle and had a bad ankle injury with ligament and nerve damage. I had about six injections. The final straw was that I would have had to have an operation that would have kept me out for five or six months and even then it was 50-50 as to whether it would have worked. So I've called it a day."

Bircham made just 18 appearances in the 18 months he was with Yeovil Town. Ironically this season's five appearances had shown signs of him becoming the asset that his footballing CV suggested he could be to the Glovers, and he scored his one and only goal in a green and white shirt at Brentford in what was to be his penultimate match. His last game came against MK Dons on September 6th 2008.

The club have yet to announce details of any contract severance, however, the BBC suggested that the decision was taken a couple of days ago. Marc now plans to launch a soccer school in Cyprus this summer and to complete his UEFA A coaching licence as he attempts to commence a career in coaching or management. Despite his Yeovil Town career being a disappointing one for all concerned, we naturally wish him the best of luck with establishing a new career direction.

Hate to see a fellow go out of the game like that. Year after year it's been one injury after another.

Good luck to Mr. Bircham. Think he'd make a great coach. It isn't all chalk boards and drill cones. A coach needs personality and presence and he's certainly been blessed with those gifts.

Ahem, is going to have to learn to watch his mouth around the young ones though....

As a QPR fan I'm a little biased, but as I stated at the time Yallop really messed up by not including him in the squad last time around! He was exactly what we were missing in the midfield, a ball winner with good distribution skills! To this day I'll never understand what FY was thinking, or not thinking, especially with some of the players included, Peters comes to mind! The red Canadian hair do should have been enough on its own to show his dedication! Too bad to see him have to quit the game, good luck to Marc in whatever he chooses to do!

• 10 years later...