Philadelphia in Trouble...

Bill Ault

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by masster

If Garber was not willing to budge on price for Montreal, he should not budge one cent for St. Louis. Atlanta is out. MLS is only left with 4 bids! Vancouver, Ottawa, Miami and Portland. If they wanted to add 2 teams in 2011 and 2 teams in 2012, then they have their 4 cities right there.

But hold on a second, Portland might not get the funding and they might be out as well. Philly might not be ready for 2010, and if they don't get that stadium done, they might never be ready. So if all stars were to align, that would leave Miami for 2010 and Vancouver with Ottawa for 2011.

I really want the economy to go into the toilet now!!!

So who do I cheer for when the Caps play Miami Barcelona in MLS? Going to be a tough call, it is not usual a fan gets two natural longstanding teams to follow in the same league out of the blue.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

So who do I cheer for when the Caps play Miami Barcelona in MLS? Going to be a tough call, it is not usual a fan gets two natural longstanding teams to follow in the same league out of the blue.

The Caps of course ;)

You have problems I only can dream of.

quote:Originally posted by masster

If Garber was not willing to budge on price for Montreal, he should not budge one cent for St. Louis. Atlanta is out. MLS is only left with 4 bids! Vancouver, Ottawa, Miami and Portland. If they wanted to add 2 teams in 2011 and 2 teams in 2012, then they have their 4 cities right there.

But hold on a second, Portland might not get the funding and they might be out as well. Philly might not be ready for 2010, and if they don't get that stadium done, they might never be ready. So if all stars were to align, that would leave Miami for 2010 and Vancouver with Ottawa for 2011.

I really want the economy to go into the toilet now!!!

I think you could be right. Portland and St. Louis both have significant hurdles to overcome, and they are not easy ones: financial and government related. Philly's team seems to be somewhat doomed. Miami appears to be a total certainty at this point. Here's what I see: Miami takes Philly's spot in 2010. Philly is "delayed" until 2011. Only one team gets awarded for 2011: Vancouver, who is scheduled to go in with Philly. However, Philly falls apart even with the extra time, and the MLS goes looking for other options. And Ottawa is still interested at the time and just might get it.

Jason

Interesting. Two things jumped out at me on that Miami/Barcelona site:

1) The "estimated" ticket prices seem quite reasonable: $12-55. Just checked the other two newest teams, and their tickets range between $16-$75 (Seattle, 2009) and $20-$70 (San Jose, 2008) respectively. Curious to see if it stays that low.

2) There's a (non-yet functioning) Name-the-Team page. I assumed FCB would be very picky about the branding of that team, and one would think its name would be the most important part of the brand. Perhaps it'll end up being a choice between several Barcelona-related names.

That Miami website says they plan on starting in South Florida by 2010 (?) I thought it was a 2011 bid?

1. What is the Salary Cap in the MLS? In the CFL it's $ 4.2 million so I'd like to compare. I guess the figures get thrown out of whack with the Beckham situation in L.A.

2. This whole St. Louis thing with "Mystery" investors reminds me of the Grizzlies days when supporters claimed there were "Mystery investors" out there that were going to buy the Grizz and the Dance Team girls from Michael Heisley and keep the team here.

quote:Originally posted by spiral

1. What is the Salary Cap in the MLS? In the CFL it's $ 4.2 million so I'd like to compare. I guess the figures get thrown out of whack with the Beckham situation in L.A.

In 2008, it was 2.3 Million. And your DP counts for 400K on the cap and if you sign a second DP (if you trade for a DP slot), it will count for 325K against the cap. So let's say that you sing Beckham, you have 1.7 Million to hand out to the remaining 17 guys on the senior team. The minimal wage is $34.000 per year for 2009 for players on senior team and $1.175 per month for development players

quote:Originally posted by spiral

If you are going to try and make that comparison, which I'm not sure you should, then I hope you don't forget that CFL rosters include 46 active players. ;)

Archived