T&T's Birchall to MLS, Keon Daniel to TFC?

nolando

http://ttffonline.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=735&Itemid=1

"He will join Brighton on a one-week training stint after which Adams is expected to make an offer while San Jose head coach Frank

Yallop wants him to sign with the club and join them for preseason training in February. Yallop also wants Cornell Glen while Toronto FC is showing interest in Keon Daniel and Aklie Edwards has also caught the attention of another MLS club."

You might remember Birchall as the white hero of T&T's WCQ playoff with Bahrain. Daniel is also a T&T internationl, a 21-y/o midfielder that might be a decent and cheap pick-up for Toronto.

Note: There is no date that I can see on the article

Keon Daniel:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keon_Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

No thanks. Would rather see Gala or Rosenlund get playing time over mediocre Trinis.

Don't get me wrong, as I completely agree that the Canucks should get a chance to play first team football ahead of young players of simialr talent from other countries. And besides the country issue, I think those two earned a little more playing time, maybe even a lot. I just like TFC looking at young pospects rather than old has-beens.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

http://ttffonline.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=735&Itemid=1

"He will join Brighton on a one-week training stint after which Adams is expected to make an offer while San Jose head coach Frank

Yallop wants him to sign with the club and join them for preseason training in February. Yallop also wants Cornell Glen while Toronto FC is showing interest in Keon Daniel and Aklie Edwards has also caught the attention of another MLS club."

You might remember Birchall as the white hero of T&T's WCQ playoff with Bahrain. Daniel is also a T&T internationl, a 21-y/o midfielder that might be a decent and cheap pick-up for Toronto.

Note: There is no date that I can see on the article

Keon Daniel:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keon_Daniel

What about signing some CANADIAN PLAYERS for a change, or is that asking for too much?

I'm still waiting for some kind of indication Mo Johnston can actually find a good player outside of someone we've seen in MLS before and the british isles. If I was TFC i'd be asking why i'm paying for an annual south american vacation if the only place we're going to be serious about signing talent is MLS and league 1.

Seriously, how much more Peter Canero and Andy Welsh do we need?

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I dunno. 15 caps, 5 goals and he's only 21. Sounds fairly promising to me. And I would bet there are more than a few TFC season ticket holders who follow T&T closer than Canada. Maybe it'll help JW throw us a bone next draw. :D

So he scored his first goal in his first game against Guyana. What powerhouses did he score the other 4 against? Colin Samuel and Julius James were star Trini prospects as well. I've got nothing against Trinis, but as a TFC season ticket holder, I would rather see young Canadians.

I'd still like to see more quality Canadians brought in, but I'm willing to have an open mind about this kid. He trialed with ManU as a teen and trialed with West Ham at the end of August after being scouted during the T&T-England friendly. He's also scored in a friendly against El Salvador and in the last qualifier against Cuba.

http://www.socawarriors.net/component/content/3788.html?task=view

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

....I've got nothing against Trinis, but as a TFC season ticket holder, I would rather see young Canadians.

I know a Scottish guy in RPB who always says "everything before the but is bull****" whenever somebody constructs a sentence like that. :) Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the young Canadians have to be good enough and willing to play for the money that TFC can offer them given salary cap restrictions. If they are not and/or unwilling to then players like Keon Daniel are going to be signed instead because another season with a losing record probably means unemployment for Mo Johnston. Adding Harmse, Gaudet, Rosenlund and De Rosario (fingers crossed anyway) over the last year or so may well be as far as the Canadian angle can reasonably be pushed in signing terms right now.

I have nothing against them signing foreign players if they are good enough. I have nothing against them releasing Canadian players like Lombardo who aren't good enough. What bothers me and I think many others is that there are young Canadian players who only get to play when there are injuries, suspensions or international callups and who do well yet as soon as the other players return are relegated to the bench again even if they played better than the player they replaced. Equally it seems that certain foreign players are not of MLS level but get chance after chance. I am not sure if it is discrimination against Canadians or that management feels they have to play certain players to justify that they signed them in the first place. It is probably a bit of both. Yet I distinctly feel that it is a disadvantage to be Canadian on TFC not an advantage which is the opposite of how it should be. Until myself and others start seeing that TFC is making a serious effort to sign and develop Canadian players and give them an advantage like domestics in other soccer countries, TFC is going to get criticized for every foreign signing they make and for every Canadian they miss. I am not saying a superior foreigner needs to be dropped for an inferior Canadian, I am saying that given a Canadian and foreigner of equal skills, the Canadian should have an advantage. At the present time I feel that there are several inferior foreigners being favoured over superior Canadians.

I doubt this will change until Mo is gone so to close on a positive point, I hope he gets fired after Montreal wins the Voyageurs Cup in Toronto again next year!:D

I think a lot of TFC fans would not recognize the description above as matching reality where a player like Andrea Lombardo is concerned. He was given way too many chances to show what he could or more accurately couldn't do. Last season an argument could certainly be made that John Carver should have played Harmse at centre half in place of Marco Velez sooner but there is the extenuating circumstance of him being seen as a midfielder. I personally thought we should have seen more of Rosenlund and less of Ibrahim and Jo. Smith as late subs but I don't think nationality was a factor. Putting on fast players to test defenders with tired legs late in the game is par for the course with a British coach. Think people on here should try to be a bit more objective where young Canadian players are concerned and tone down the cheerleading a bit. If the coach isn't playing him it will usually be because said player isn't good enough or is too inexperienced rather than a case of the coach being biased or mentally defective in some way.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I have nothing against them signing foreign players if they are good enough. I have nothing against them releasing Canadian players like Lombardo who aren't good enough. What bothers me and I think many others is that there are young Canadian players who only get to play when there are injuries, suspensions or international callups and who do well yet as soon as the other players return are relegated to the bench again even if they played better than the player they replaced. Equally it seems that certain foreign players are not of MLS level but get chance after chance. I am not sure if it is discrimination against Canadians or that management feels they have to play certain players to justify that they signed them in the first place. It is probably a bit of both. Yet I distinctly feel that it is a disadvantage to be Canadian on TFC not an advantage which is the opposite of how it should be. Until myself and others start seeing that TFC is making a serious effort to sign and develop Canadian players and give them an advantage like domestics in other soccer countries, TFC is going to get criticized for every foreign signing they make and for every Canadian they miss. I am not saying a superior foreigner needs to be dropped for an inferior Canadian, I am saying that given a Canadian and foreigner of equal skills, the Canadian should have an advantage. At the present time I feel that there are several inferior foreigners being favoured over superior Canadians.

I doubt this will change until Mo is gone so to close on a positive point, I hope he gets fired after Montreal wins the Voyageurs Cup in Toronto again next year!:D

What are your examples Grizz?

Promising performances from young "rookies" like Nana or Rosenlund bode well for the future but don't necessarilly make them starters.

BBTB does mention Hasmse as a potential back four starter over Velez (or James for that matter) and I personally would agree with that view but beyond that, I can't really see any of our other young Canadians becoming regular first teamer's yet.

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

BBTB does mention Harmse as a potential back four starter over Velez (or James for that matter) and I personally would agree with that view but beyond that, I can't really see any of our other young Canadians becoming regular first teamer's yet.

IIRC I remember Mo in a TV interview saying that he was looking for an experienced CB to start and another younger CB to groom. That said, I have a hunch he will be using Harmse as squad player to provide depth. For me, the jury is out on him as a regular CB starter but if he proves me wrong and shows that he's "for real" in that position, then it's a win-win.

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

IIRC I remember Mo in a TV interview saying that he was looking for an experienced CB to start and another younger CB to groom. That said, I have a hunch he will be using Harmse as squad player to provide depth. For me, the jury is out on him as a regular CB starter but if he proves me wrong and shows that he's "for real" in that position, then it's a win-win.

Doesn't he already have one of those?

^Down to semantics, right? I got the impression that he was "looking," as opposed to saying that he was "continuing to groom one of the young CBs currently on the roster." Who knows what he meant (and I have already recorded over his interview, anyways)? Or maybe I misheard him?

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

What are your examples Grizz?

Promising performances from young "rookies" like Nana or Rosenlund bode well for the future but don't necessarilly make them starters.

BBTB does mention Hasmse as a potential back four starter over Velez (or James for that matter) and I personally would agree with that view but beyond that, I can't really see any of our other young Canadians becoming regular first teamer's yet.

Nano and Rosenlund are who I am thinking about. Maybe on a better MLS team they wouldn't be starters but when they are better players right now not just in the future than several of TFC's starters than they should start. I am not completely sold on Harmse either but he is definitely a better player than Velez or James. No Harmse should not start because he is Canadian, he should start until TFC gets a full starting 11 that has players better than James and Velez and better than Harmse.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am not completely sold on Harmse either but he is definitely a better player than Velez or James. No Harmse should not start because he is Canadian, he should start until TFC gets a full starting 11 that has players better than James and Velez and better than Harmse.

In my view, that remains to be seen over the longer term whether he's a definite and, more importantly, consistent upgrade over the other two. They look like three equal suspects as opposed to prospects, though Harmse showed some promise. I still think the team needs to look outside its existing playing staff to find an upgrade for CB.

Archived