Miami BARCA in MLS 2010 (probable rumor)

Luis_Rancagua

This rumor (if true) looks real good for Vancouver...

------------------------------

EXPANSION: Miami Close? Philly MLS Insider Drops Hint, Says "Don't Bet Against Miami coming in in 2010."

Friday, December 19, 2008

Miami Barcelonistas rejoice!

This news should have every Penya de Miami thrilled! The Miami based Barca run club may be more a reality than a bid if the following hint s true.

Alternatively, people against the Miami FCB expansion bid may be in for some bad news come 2010. That is because as time passes and the economy worsens, the Barcelona bid appears better and better.

Special thanks to our friends, The Sons of Ben for tipping us off to a massive hint dropped by Philly MLS General Manager Nick Sakiewicz during one of their regular online chats last night via our Twitter feed.

Here was the question and Nick's response below:

Mike Thomas: Tell me their is no chance that if Miami does get awarded a bid that they will be in 2010… I would hate to see any other team come in and dilute our drafting

Nick Sakiewicz: I would not bet against Miami coming in 2010.

Well, regardless of whether you are for or against such a team, what do you think of them perhaps entering the league sooner than the 2011 expansion slot which they originally were bidding for?

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/12/expansion-philly-mls-insiders-says.html

Guest Jeffery S.

Have to say that I have heard some things in the press here that suggest that they might make it work. They are acutely aware of the difficulties in the past, and with pro sport in Miami in general (for last night's visit by the Lakers there were a lot of empty seats down low, whole sections empty).

They insist that the demographics have changed in Miami and that the Spanish speakers come from a wider range of countries, more football oriented than the old time Cubans.

So we'll see if it can work well, as I have said before, 2/3s full and a bit of enthusiasm will probably be enough for the first year.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Tuscan

^ No kidding. MLS execs are easily swayed by dolla dolla bills. There has to be more to the Miami Barca bid than meets the eye if they would be willing to give them entry in 2010.

I suspect there are a number of things happening with the hurry about starting in 2010.

First, they feel they can get it ready that quickly, the stadium deal is done and the mother team already has a club structure that can be built on. They don't need the extra time.

Second, if you are going to put up the money in early 2009 say, why not try to start getting gate and other revenue back earlier, instead of waiting? No use having the shop closed when you can perfectly well open it.

Third, I suspect Barça's Nike deal and other sponsorship deals are coming up for review soon, and this will be a factor in the negotation. As is the Barça deal is one of the most lucrative for Nike, and I suspect that together they see the MLS deal will increase Barça and Miami-Barça sales of Nike merchandise especially in the US. Getting the team in place earlier makes this all the easier, though I am not sure if we are talking about a concerted effort by Barça-Nike or an attempt by the club to get leverage for a new deal. I suspect, knowing how things work, is that it is the former, that Nike is in on it from the start.

Fourth, there is the natural cycle of elections at FC Barcelona to consider. Anything left hanging and unresolved is problematic for anyone seeking re-election in conventional politics, and with Barça elections it is the same. And it turns out that the next elections at Barça will be in the summer of 2010, though a resignation by the existing president or a non-confidence motion leading to a referendum could always force them sooner. Given the current state of the club, both in terms of results and finances, that is unlikely. So Laporta would be able to go into 2010 elections with the usual arguments (silverware and more silverware) and another secondary one: a successful side playing in MLS.

There are a some other things in there that all contribute, like BarçaTV going global, if that happens and you can get a package including it that would give you all the games and reports from Barcelona as well as the Miami content, you'd have that much more fan base and would again be offering a very interesting product for advertisers, sponsors and other tvs wanting to buy in.

quote:

Third, I suspect Barça's Nike deal and other sponsorship deals are coming up for review soon, and this will be a factor in the negotation. As is the Barça deal is one of the most lucrative for Nike, and I suspect that together they see the MLS deal will increase Barça and Miami-Barça sales of Nike merchandise especially in the US.

Wrong here. Adidas has an exclusivity clause with MLS. There's NO WAY Adidas will allow Nike to come aboard in any form...no matter where the money's coming from.

Archived