What is going on with De Ro!

michaeltfc91

Where is he??? why is Gerry Dobson saying that he is going to come in the new year with a Big Splash announcement, then Morgan Cambell says hes unreachable and he wants a raise.

Then you look at all the De Ro videos on the TFC website and they cover his neck (because if you look closely he's wearing a Houston jersey). Also he never says that he is coming to Toronto, he talks about what it would be like to play for them. He talks about the atmosphere there and what it would be like, so he could be talking about the Allstar game or another game in which he played at BMO.

And didn't someone say before he was NOT getting DP money and he settled for less. Why hasnt there been anything on the radio or tv about it either? Is he going to be playing for TFC in 2009 or what? Im soooo worried.

Have you looked out your window yet.:D

Option 1 stay in Houston

sell house, close bank accounts, lets kids stay in current school till Xmas break; say good-bye to close friends; tie up loose ends; allow spouse to do likewise with her business and social circles;

plan for move to Te-Oh in New Year.

DeRo isn't 18, he's a family man with some business interests to attend to.

He's been in Te-Oh and gone. What needed to be dealt with has been dealt with.

Check out the comments posted at the end of the Morgan Campbell blog link that was posted - a lot of people had been clamouring for Stalteri to join TFC but one guy points out that Stalteri would never come to TFC while Mo is in charge because "Mo already told his staff that he considers Stalteri to be sh**... when asked to clarify, he said he was overrated and no one would ever know of him if he hadn't been Canadian."

A bit of a bizarre argument from Mo if true....nobody in Canada presumably (or even just Toronto) would have heard of Stalteri if he hadn't been Canadian? That says more about our media & the state of the game in this country than it does about the talent of national team players. You could probably say the same about 99% of Canadians playing soccer professionally. Except maybe for a handful of players - like Stalteri. Yeah Mo, presumably the people in Bremen only have heard of him because he's Canadian, not because he helped them with the Bundeslinga........

I recall an interview where mo said stalteri wouldn't be worth the money he'd ask for.

imo stalteri is (and always has been) of lesser quality than brennan, and yet im sure he'd ask for triple of brennan's salary or more, so i understand mo on this one. i also don't blame stalteri in not being interested in tfc now or ever.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

I recall an interview where mo said stalteri wouldn't be worth the money he'd ask for.

imo stalteri is (and always has been) of lesser quality than brennan, and yet im sure he'd ask for triple of brennan's salary or more, so i understand mo on this one. i also don't blame stalteri in not being interested in tfc now or ever.

What reasons do you have for this assertion? Their respective career arcs suggest otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Check out the comments posted at the end of the Morgan Campbell blog link that was posted - a lot of people had been clamouring for Stalteri to join TFC but one guy points out that Stalteri would never come to TFC while Mo is in charge because "Mo already told his staff that he considers Stalteri to be sh**... when asked to clarify, he said he was overrated and no one would ever know of him if he hadn't been Canadian."

I distinctly remember hearing about how Mo didn't rate Stalteri. I'm pretty sure he said this after scouting the Jamaica game in Montreal in 2006. Stalteri played in the midfield I believe and admittedly didn't play a terrific game, but I found it odd at the time that Mo would dismiss him so quickly.

Now it doesn't seem so odd that that would be Mo's opinion.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

We're all entitled to our opinions but I sincerely believe Diesel to be a superior talent to Brennan.

That being said, I'm disappointed with how Paul's career has dropped off due to his unfortunate club situation. He grabbed the EPL money when it became available but, hindsight being 20/20, its now clear he would have been better off as a player if he stayed in Germany.

As for Mo claiming Paul is "sh-t" and/or overrated, I say consider the source. Mo hasn't exactly proven to be the greatest identifier of talent (most glaring example being Andy Welsh).

BTW, if memory serves, I think the term "sh-t" was also Paul's assessment of MLS when asked by someone I know if he ever planned on coming back to North America to play in the league.

I guess the feelings between Paul and Mo are mutual then.

quote:Originally posted by halfnhalf89

Brennan doesnt come close to stalteri, paul was won the bundesliga, and has played in the premiership unlike brennan, people should ask tfc fans who brennan played for before he signed with toronto

Uhh, Brennan did play in the Premier League with Norwich City.

Oh, and off the top of my head? He's played for Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Southampton. Most members here could have listed the same. I realize they aren't all 'TFC fans', bu you'd get as many fans ignorant to Jim's playing history as you would Paul's.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Uhh, Brennan did play in the Premier League with Norwich City.

Oh, and off the top of my head? He's played for Norwich, Nottingham Forest, Bristol City and Southampton. Most members here could have listed the same. I realize they aren't all 'TFC fans', bu you'd get as many fans ignorant to Jim's playing history as you would Paul's.

Yes but Brennan's EPL experience was extremely limited, 10 appearance of which 4 were as a substitute. If I remember correctly he was signed by Norwich the year before and saw limited playing time in the Championship in their promotion year. For much of the year in the Premiership I think he did not even train with the first team and was only used when they experienced serious injury problems (though to be fair I think he did do ok in those games he did play). Still while Stalteri's success in the EPL has been limited even his loan stint with Fulham of 13 games started was more than Brennan's overall EPL experience. Overall Stalteri has played in 50 EPL games plus over 100 1st Bundesliga games which is a much higher achievement than Brennan.

That being said one does have to look at the type of player when signing a DP. It could be argued that many of the top Canadian players have been role players at a higher level. Some players are capable of playing a certain role at a high level but wouldn't necessarily be dominating players at a lower level league like MLS. For example, I doubt Imhof would be a good DP signing even though he has been quite effective with Bochum in the 1st Bundesliga. On the opposite side of the coin are players like DeRo who has been dominant at the MLS level but incapable and ineffective at higher level play such as international where his flaws and deficiencies become very apparent.

I think what we have always lacked in the national team is a player of the DeRo type who can do this at a higher level allowing our other high level role players to play the role they are best suited for instead of trying to be stars. Many of us thought that JDG would be this guy but he didn't prove to be capable of this in WCQ.

Archived