International Player of the Year 2008

Cheeta

1. Tomasz Radzinski

Was Canada's premier player during a dismal WCQ campaign and achieved well in Greece. I give this award also in recognition of a star exiting the national team stage after a much respected career.

2. Rob Friend

Oustanding work in ensuring the promotion of Monchengladbach, and has still been solid as they struggle to stay up in the Bundesliga 1 this season. Was misused during WCQ but still scored a crucial goal vs. Brazil for the nats.

3. Michael Klukowski

Has really come into his own as a mature left-back. While Serioux made a strong case as well, Kluka was our best defender of the campaign and put in a great performance vs. Brazil as well.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1st place: Tomasz Radzinski. Canada's best international player in 2008 and a star in his domestic league. Frankly, he also gets some love for me for being generally underappreciated throughout his career.

2nd place: Lars Hirschfeld. Our best international goalkeeper and also a guy who had some success with the top team in Romania. He was a hard choice, but there was nothing to choose between him and third (and fourth and fifth, for that matter).

3rd place: Dwayne De Rosario. Another solid year in Houston, and even if MLS doesn't get its due from most of us I just voted for guys playing in the Balkans so if anyone can get away with it, it's me! Didn't put up the counting numbers internationally but he was one of the few Canadians to really make an impact domestically in a top league (Friend was written in pencil here until I lost my nerve voting for a second-division player).

Not to take anything away from the other players that have been nominated here, but I'm kind of surprised how many submissions don't have Ali Gerba in the Top 3. 6 Goals this year all in World Cup Qualifying.

As Canadian supporters, shouldn't performances playing for Canada play the most important role in choosing our player of the year?

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Not to take anything away from the other players that have been nominated here, but I'm kind of surprised how many submissions don't have Ali Gerba in the Top 3. 6 Goals this year all in World Cup Qualifying.

As Canadian supporters, shouldn't performances playing for Canada play the most important role in choosing our player of the year?

4 of those goals were scored against an amazingly weak team...apparently Hope Solo said after watching the SVG games "I could've scored those goals". ;)

Only one goal by Ali was really important, the goal in Chiapas, it brought us back into a game when we were still in the hunt. I don't give much value to the 4 goals against SVG just like I don't give much importance to everyone performances in those 2 games.

You could also add that Ali is playing third division football and has a tough time sticking with his clubs.

That's why he isn't in my list (who so far only has Radz...I might add a number 2 and 3 before the 31st).

Joyeux Noel :)

Yes his 4 goals against SVG were against weaker competition, but let's face it Canada has a habit of messing up should win games. His 4 goals helped us make it past SVG and were in World Cup Qualifying regardless of the quality of the opponent. Don't forget his strike in Edmonton was also fantastic. We may have been out of it, but Mexico was still in the hunt and a dangerous opponent. I'm not debating the fact of whether Gerba should be #1. That clearly is debatable. I'm just shocked that he's not on everyone's Top 3.

I'm sorry but I've never seen us loosing or even having a hard time with teams like SVG. We're always going to score in those games no matter who is playing up front.

Good for Ali to score 6 goals but if you were a CCC or B2 scout and you are hearing about that guy who scored 4 goals in 2 games against SVG, would you really care?

Maybe like you said he should get more love but I also understand why some are voting for players with much better club career pedigree.

Edit: so far Gerba is third behind Radz and JDG, where he shoulf be IMO.

Archived