• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by rdroze

1. De Guzman

2. Radzinski

3. Klukowski

(Can't believe I'm the only one so far to mention Klukowski.)

I was going to mention him, honorary mention though. Because I think if you look at the overall performance of players during the WC qualifying he is probably the one who plays at the highest level consistently for his position, without asking miracles from him. So you are right in picking him. I think they also won the Belgian Cup last year and until 10 days ago were leading the league. Never mind that they fell out of the UEFA Cup tonight, still a strong club performance as well.

1. Radzinski, maybe the best WCQ performance by any Canadian player ever. he was consistently dangerous and was our only creative option going forward. unlike everyone else, he was cool under pressure, did not let the best canadian team ever hype affect his workrate, and he saved the best games of his season for canada. a man amongst boys.

2. Klukowski, our best defender by far.

3. Gerba, he scored a couple good goals, and should be recognized for it.

so far it looks like Radz is having a comfortable lead with 139 points (21), JDG has 89 pts (12) and Gerba has 56 pts (6). Rob Friend is the only one outside of the top 3 to have receive a first place vote.

Maybe I made a few mistakes in the numbers but it give the picture so far.

quote:Originally posted by dsqpr

1. Julian DeGuzman

2. Rob Friend

3. Mike Klukowski

The choice entirely depends on what you use for criteria.

For me, "International Player of the Year" implies equal emphasis for all matches played everywhere and most of those are obviously club matches. So, players who are playing regular top tier football have an advantage for that reason alone.

Radz is great but he did not figure prominently in our WCQs (not through any fault of his own and in spite of a MOTM performance at home to Mexico) and he does not play top tier football. That's why I can't rank him ahead of the three I've chosen.

Radz played in the Greek League for the most part of 2008. This is top tier and you have Rob Friend who played in the B2 for half of this year in your ranking...

Archived