CSL Western Expansion 2010

BrennanFan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ontario would win in a fight? Hmmm, would that be before or after you guys get your billions of dollars in government handouts? :) It would seem us Westerners need to help you guys out yet again for the mismanagement of your corporations. Oh well, we're nice guys here, we don't mind giving you some of our money. As for the CSL being the National league, I don't see what the argument is about. It isn't anywhere close to a National league. I do concede at this time is has the best potential to form some type of semblance of a National league in the far future but then saying it therefore is a National league is ridiculous. That is like me saying I'm having sex with Jessica Simpson because I'm dating her fat, buck-toothed 2nd cousin. Am I closer to having sex with Jessica Simpson because I am dating a relative than someone who isn't dating a relative and has no chance of meeting her? I don't think so. Unfortunately in reality I am no closer than anyone else because I am too damn ugly. I accept that so I think the CSL backers should accept the fact that they have a good local league and keep hoping for future developments. Maybe the CSL should try to improve by asking for government bailouts :)

Has the PCSL ever considered becoming a Semi-Pro league?

If not, what steps would be needed for the league to change? Is it even possible for an amateur league to change status to semi-professional?

I would gather you could have decent stadia and crowds in the following BC cities if the league was marketed as professional/semi-pro...average attendance of 1,500 plus good corporate sponsorships would make it viable to say the least.

Nanaimo

Victoria

Kelowna

Powell River (used to get large crowds in the seventies for local VISL soccer)

Kamloops

Greater Vancouver (Surrey, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, etc.)

Sooke (large crowds for the Division 1 Celtic in VISL).

Others?

quote:Originally posted by Marco07

Has the PCSL ever considered becoming a Semi-Pro league?

If not, what steps would be needed for the league to change? Is it even possible for an amateur league to change status to semi-professional?

I would gather you could have decent stadia and crowds in the following BC cities if the league was marketed as professional/semi-pro...average attendance of 1,500 plus good corporate sponsorships would make it viable to say the least.

Nanaimo

Victoria

Kelowna

Powell River (used to get large crowds in the seventies for local VISL soccer)

Kamloops

Greater Vancouver (Surrey, Abbotsford, Chilliwack, etc.)

Sooke (large crowds for the Division 1 Celtic in VISL).

Others?

as well as campbell river,courteney/comox,richmond orient fc.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Yorktonsoccer

Ontario would win in a fight? Hmmm, would that be before or after you guys get your billions of dollars in government handouts? :) It would seem us Westerners need to help you guys out yet again for the mismanagement of your corporations. Oh well, we're nice guys here, we don't mind giving you some of our money. As for the CSL being the National league, I don't see what the argument is about. It isn't anywhere close to a National league. I do concede at this time is has the best potential to form some type of semblance of a National league in the far future but then saying it therefore is a National league is ridiculous. That is like me saying I'm having sex with Jessica Simpson because I'm dating her fat, buck-toothed 2nd cousin. Am I closer to having sex with Jessica Simpson because I am dating a relative than someone who isn't dating a relative and has no chance of meeting her? I don't think so. Unfortunately in reality I am no closer than anyone else because I am too damn ugly. I accept that so I think the CSL backers should accept the fact that they have a good local league and keep hoping for future developments. Maybe the CSL should try to improve by asking for government bailouts :)

What we really want to know is whether her 2nd cousin goes, know what I mean?

The CSL may well hold itself forth as a semi-pro league but Canada's National League it most certainly is not, though as a former Ontarian myself I can understand somebody with an Ontario-centric view of Canada thinking it ought to be.

And a Happy New Year to you too Eric.

Eric won't have long to wait for another provincial level semi-pro league to be set up in addition to Ontario's CSL judging from this article:-

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/sports/200809/23/01-22884-gatineau-alignera-une-equipe-semi-pro-de-foot.php

Here's the Babelfish version for those like me who struggle a bit with French:-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7v4wzk

Well into the New Year now where I am but hope you have a good one if it is imminent or just happened where you are!

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Eric won't have long to wait for another provincial level semi-pro league to be set up in addition to Ontario's CSL judging from this article:-

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-droit/sports/200809/23/01-22884-gatineau-alignera-une-equipe-semi-pro-de-foot.php

Here's the Babelfish version for those like me who struggle a bit with French:-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7v4wzk

Well into the New Year now where I am but hope you have a good one if it is imminent or just happened where you are!

Great find BBTB....interesting news. I'm sure the CSL will be looking upon this with great interest.

More semi-pro soccer in Canada can never be a bad thing.

It was posted on here by somebody else in the TFC subforum in a thread about Ottawa expansion so I can't claim the credit for the find. :) I suspect the recent shift in emphasis from Quebec to the Prairies in terms of the CSL's future expansion plans has been related to this and that most provincial soccer associations are likely to want to do their own thing if those plans ever look like coming to fruition as the soccer bureaucrats definitely know how to guard their little fiefdoms and maintain their influence. It would definitely be good to see a lot more leagues becoming officially semi-pro from coast to coast. I have always found it bizarre that Canada isn't more like Australia in that regard given the similar demographics involved. Every major Australian city has its own semi-pro setup usually based on pro/rel. In New South Wales there are even two different league setups in that regard. The Newcastle area does its own thing completely separate from Sydney. Think the CSA keeping the National Championship amateur may have been the problem in historical terms as that provided the motive to do things under the table.

This is good news. There is certainly no reason why the CSL has to be the centre of any semi-pro league system in Canada.

However, I would like to point out that things seem to be getting sub-divided again from the get-go. What needs to be done is that the CSA (I can dream) will actually play the role of a National Organization for once and set some damn standards for these leagues that will promote growth and national compeition at some level.

I wonder what the news of the new Quebec league does to the trois rivier's plans in the future. Maybe they will stick closer to home?

The CSL has twice come to BC courting the PCSL but the PCSL directors and member clubs could see no benefit whatsoever in paying the sort of money to the CSL in Toronto that the then CSL commissioner wanted. They really had very lttle if anything to offer in return for the relatively large investment expected. Co-operation with, perhaps yes, ownership by the Toronto based organisation, no, no need.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

The CSL has twice come to BC courting the PCSL but the PCSL directors and member clubs could see no benefit whatsoever in paying the sort of money to the CSL in Toronto that the then CSL commissioner wanted. They really had very lttle if anything to offer in return for the relatively large investment expected. Co-operation with, perhaps yes, ownership by the Toronto based organisation, no, no need.

Richard, how about this idea for a Memorial Cup-type Championship :

Western Conference : PCSL vs CSL Western Division

Central Conference : CSL National vs CSL International

Eastern Conference : Qc Semi-Pro League vs Eastlink Premiership

Host City

Just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

^ Yeah, as an ex Ontarian myself I can assure you, Ontario is NOT the centre of the universe, much as that may surprise many of my fellow Ontarians :)

The Centre of the Universe is just off the Pat Bay Highway between Victoria and Sidney. I go past the big sign, complete with Government of Canada Logo, all the time ;)

quote:Originally posted by ag futbol

However, I would like to point out that things seem to be getting sub-divided again from the get-go. What needs to be done is that the CSA (I can dream) will actually play the role of a National Organization for once and set some damn standards for these leagues that will promote growth and national compeition at some level.

Maybe worth bearing in mind that at the semi-pro level regular season travel is usually going to be limited to a manageable driving distance in time terms for people who are playing the game in their spare time away from a regular 9 to 5 job. In a country as vast as Canada that means it is something inherently local rather than national in scope and you don't need a lot of central organization for that from the national association because most administrative and disciplinary decisions will be best carried out by people running the leagues and soccer associations at the local level who can deal with the teams directly. Each large city and its hinterlands should be able to do their own thing for the most part in other words. What the CSA should do, in my opinion, is revamp the existing National Championship to include semi-pro teams.

Archived