Canadians abroad: December 12-18, 2008

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for December 12-18, 2008.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/wdp/news/Yeovil-Town-keeper-Wagenaar-keeping-ice-cool-Stockport-clash/article-543271-detail/article.html

Yeovil Town keeper Wagenaar keeping ice-cool over Stockport clash

Thursday, December 11, 2008, 22:15

Former ice hockey ace Josh Wagenaar jokes that the heavy frost that has hit Yeovil Town's pitch might help him to his best performance of the season.

Yeovil officials are praying for an end to the cold snap tonight to allow tomorrow's League One game with Stockport County to go ahead.

The quarter of the Huish Park playing surface nearest the Carlsberg Terrace was still frozen over yesterday afternoon.

Temperatures were expected to drop below freezing again last night, but tonight's forecast is better.

The club have no pitch covers or heaters of their own although they are investigating the cost-effectiveness of hiring them.

The game has to be in doubt, although it was a case of home from home for Wagenaar yesterday.

"It is unbelievable," he said.

"I played hockey in Canada so if it is like this on Saturday I think I could do quite well. It might be my best showing of the year!"

Not that Wagenaar needs to improve too much on his recent performances. The former ADO Den Haag man has kept two clean sheets in three games since conceding five times in the FA Cup first-round replay at Stockport last month.

Wagenaar could have been forgiven for turning to his Christian faith after the game at Edgeley Park.

"I am a Christian. I go to a local pentecostal church here and I went to Crewkerne this past Sunday where our club chaplain was the pastor and I heard him speak there," he said.

"There are a lot of nice people at my church and I have already had invites for Christmas dinner.

"One thing I do wherever I go is find a church and get involved. I believe God helps me and strengthens me in my every day life and that goes over into the games as well.

"I hope there is a bit of redemption when we play Stockport this weekend. I just take each day and leave it to God who will do what he needs to do for me."

The Stockport game could have been so different had Danny Schofield not missed a penalty at 0-0, an incident which preceded a red card for Aaron Brown for a professional foul.

"It was basically unbelievable," recalled Wagenaar. "We missed a penalty, a minute later they scored off a corner and then we had the red card and we couldn't recover from that.

"I did my best but it wasn't good enough. Hopefully this weekend it will be a different story. There is a score to be settled but there isn't too much talk about it. We just want to be ready and well-rested."

Wagenaar is now comfortable in Somerset after assuming the mantle of first choice after Asmir Begovic's loan spell ended.

Home comforts are important to the Canadian. "I have finally settled into the hotel I am staying at now with a permanent room," he said.

Live Footy this week involving Canadians (All standard TV, exclusive tiers, satellite)

FRIDAY

Borussia Dortmund vs Borussia M'gladbach (Rob Friend) | Pro Sieben Sat.1 Welt (Rogers Cable only)

SATURDAY

Tottenham Hotspur (Paul Stalteri) vs Manchester United | Setanta Sports Canada & Fox Soccer Channel

SUNDAY

Portsmouth vs Newcastle United (David Edgar) | Setanta Sports Canada

Aris v AEK (Tam Nsaliwa) | ERT World / Odyssey TV

MONDAY

Motherwell v Kilmarnock (Rhian Dodds) | Setants Sports USA

THURSDAY

Tottenham Hotspur (Paul Stalteri) vs Spartak Moskow | Sportsnet (All)

*PAUL NOT REGISTERED for UEFA CUP*

England

League One

Yeovil (Wagenaar, Bircham) 2-4 Stockport

Wagenaar starts and plays 90 mins

No Bircham

Barnet 2-2 Gillingham (Jackson)

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 90 mins for Gillingham to draw level.

Scotland

Premier

St Mirren 2-0 Inverness CT (Hastings)

Hastings starts and plays 90 mins

1st Division

Clyde 1-0 Dundee (Pozniak)

Pozniak starts and plays 90 mins

quote:Originally posted by N-A

England

League One

Yeovil (Wagenaar, Bircham) 2-4 Stockport

Wagenaar starts and plays 90 mins

No Bircham

In other League One action, I see that MK Dons earned a road victory last evening vs Brighton 4-2 but Gerba wasn't on the bench. Is he injured? I noticed that the 35 year old Flo came on as a sub and scored.

Guest Jeffery S.

Julian was subbed out m. 63 when it was 3-0 for Valladolid, and Depor loses a chance to jump ahead of Real Madrid into a UEFA spot.

Bruges got whipped at home by Standard 1-4, Klukowski played the whole match and took a yellow. Bruges has now fallen off the leadership in Belgium with their last results.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Jeffrey how did JdG perform today during his 63 minutes?

Didn't see it, sorry, had enough watching my son yesterday morn (his undefeated futsal team won 16-3), Barça beat Madrid last night, going to a 6th tier match at noon today in the Barceloneta, and Sevilla-Vilareal this evening.

Reports say it was Valladolid's best game of the year, and the last two goals were spectacular, the 2nd was from 40 metres and the last a fine play, though perhaps the keeper Aranzubia could have done more. Depor only subbed out Julian when 3 down to put in a striker, too little too late. Seems looking at a few more reports that Julian pushed forward a lot behind Guardado, broke him free early on one pass, but the Mexican had a bad day, and our man even had a few shots trying to make up for things.

Nice pic of Julian here: http://www.elpais.com/fotografia/deportes/Sesma/disputa/balon/Guzman/elpfotdep/20081214elpepudep_33/Ies/

Guest Jeffery S.

Radz played 86 for Lierse who beat Olympique Charleroi 1-3. Seems he set up the first goal for the visitors. They remain in 2nd chasing leaders STW, though are on track for promotion.

quote:Originally posted by Loud Mouth Soup

Asmir Begovic starts for Portsmouth tonight in the Arsenal Reserves v. Portsmouth Reserves match at Underhill as Arsenal striker Eduardo makes his comeback from a broken leg.

There should be links at myp2p as it's on Arsenal TV tonight.

2-0 final for Arsenal Reserves. Just watched the highlights on Arsenal TV. Begovic made a number of good saves, one of them on an Eduardo shot. The first goal he came off his line as the player was all alone but he neatly slipped it by Asmir into the side of the net. The second goal was a cracker from the top of the 18 that Begovic had no chance to stop.

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-1469.html

Excellent stream to watch both Kluklowski and Hutchison go at in the UEFA Cup, work friendly to boot.

Hutchison nearly set up a goal but it was actualy Kluklowski's timely intervention that eliminated the oppurtunity. What about Kluklowski for TFC? Bruges seem pretty awful these days and Kluklowski could be played at LB while Brennan moves to centre. That would be awesome.

quote:Originally posted by welltoldtales

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-1469.html

Excellent stream to watch both Kluklowski and Hutchison go at in the UEFA Cup, work friendly to boot.

Hutchison nearly set up a goal but it was actualy Kluklowski's timely intervention that eliminated the oppurtunity. What about Kluklowski for TFC? Bruges seem pretty awful these days and Kluklowski could be played at LB while Brennan moves to centre. That would be awesome.

Klukowski is too good for TFC and belongs in Europe. I could actually picture Atiba with TFC sooner, as he has stagnated a bit career-wise lately.

I noticed that on Brugges website they are actually doing quite well at the moment, although in UEFA they aren't doing so great. Anyway, I just mention Klu to TFC because I think he has stagnated in Europe as well (I am sure there was news about this on Voyageurs before, but maybe I am wrong) and having national team members playing on the same team can only be a bonus. This year seems to solidify that even more as countries like Russia, Croatia and even Paraguay have shown that national teams are better off having a strong backbone of players from within the country playing together than a bunch of players "learning their trade" (ie. Some random european countries style of play) overseas.

This last WCQ showed that to me alot, we had alot of players coming from very different systems attempting to create some sort of cohesion together. It would be alot easier for players to develop an understanding if they were all based in similar systems (even if this system was European, such as a German tactical system).

quote:Originally posted by welltoldtales

I noticed that on Brugges website they are actually doing quite well at the moment, although in UEFA they aren't doing so great. Anyway, I just mention Klu to TFC because I think he has stagnated in Europe as well (I am sure there was news about this on Voyageurs before, but maybe I am wrong) and having national team members playing on the same team can only be a bonus. This year seems to solidify that even more as countries like Russia, Croatia and even Paraguay have shown that national teams are better off having a strong backbone of players from within the country playing together than a bunch of players "learning their trade" (ie. Some random european countries style of play) overseas.

This last WCQ showed that to me alot, we had alot of players coming from very different systems attempting to create some sort of cohesion together. It would be alot easier for players to develop an understanding if they were all based in similar systems (even if this system was European, such as a German tactical system).

I agree with a lot fo what you're saying. With Russia, I think every single player (except maybe one?) was playing for a club team within Russia.

As for Kluko, I see what you're saying since I wouldn't say Belgium has much of a league, apart from Anderlecht, Club Brugges and Standard. Not to say the MLS is a huge deal but it's decent and if we had a few of our nats playing for them and managed to develop a few strong young players through that system, it couldn't hurt!

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Klukowski is too good for TFC and belongs in Europe. I could actually picture Atiba with TFC sooner, as he has stagnated a bit career-wise lately.

Anyone know where Hutchinson was playing? Flank mid, attacking mid, d-mid? Withdrawn forward?

I would really like to see if he could pick his game in a higher league (Bundesliga?). I'm curious as to what kind of interest he garners.

Guest Jeffery S.

Gentlemen, the way the Belgian national team is playing lately and the way the league there has become more competitive with Standard rivalling Anderlecht and Bruges, it has improved and is a fine place to be. You can't call Bruges poor if they were leading the league until two fixtures ago. I like him there, though if he were to transfer to Germany I'd like that even better.

BTW, to end the story, Kluka subbed out at the half along with Alcaráz, their great striker. Then Sonck later, I don't know what the coach was thinking as a Copenhagen goal 2nd half sunk them and took them out of Europe, while Copenhagen stays alive for the final 32.

Guest Jeffery S.

Impressive set up for the round of 32 of the UEFA Cup with Hutchinson and Julian de G. All the 2nd place teams will face Champions League 3rd place sides. Meaning you have teams like Sevilla, Milan, Valencia, Tottenham, Ajax and Deportivo up against teams like Bordeaux, Dynamo Kyiv, Bremen, Marseille, Fiorentina and Zenit, some strong rivalries there.

BTW, Julian did not get on for Depor last night vs. Nancy, not sure if they are resting him maybe for the weekend.

Archived