CSL back in Hamilton, Crossing the t's dotting...

hamiltonfan

It is no secret that the CSL wants to be back in Steel-town. A few months ago I talked to Stan Adamson, executive director of the CSL, and was told that there are several groups pursing the possibility of bringing a team back to Hamilton. Recently, I talked to another CSL coordinator and was told that they have narrowed it down to one bid. Apparently the bid is from a group of four businessmen from the Great Hamilton Region who do have somewhat deep pockets to properly run a CSL organization. Now if the side is run professionally is still to be seen. An announcement should be made early February after the AGM. That certain does not leave a great deal of time for a team set up shop, hopefully things are happening as we speak.

I was told all major issues are setup and all that is left is “crossing the ts dotting the i s”. Well have to see what happens though, weird things have happened in this league.

Very please to hear this!

haha no, sorry i tried to get that point also in there. It should happen dispit some weird happenings, but we have all heard things like this coming out of the leagues office with nothing coming out of it before..Quebece City FC, African Lions both never got off the ground after being announced, the Carribean Stars played a single season. And thats just in recent CSL history...so no it is not a 100%

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Well, I'll be around for the Toronto-based road games (yeah, I moved)... maybe make for a few home ones. As long as they're not ethnically tied, I'm in.

• 3 months later...

Hamilton is in for 2010. Not exactly what I thought but the Hartrells will be shutting down the PDL team in Toronto to start a CSL team in Hamilton. Can't say I'm excited about the owners...having a team will be great tho. Games will be played out of the new McMaster stadium...yes with the football lines and all.

other CSL news..

-Joey Suputo continues to block CSL teams in Quebec. Really wierd..

-west expansion is set for 2012. Looks like it will happen

-Commish Cary Kaplan has signed a two year exentsion

-africa lion have paid there deposit but still would like to delay entry in the league

^^Not sure that I would take somebody's word for that on a messageboard given they probably heard it second or third hand from somebody who may have an agenda. Worth noting that Quebec currently has plans for its own provincial semi-pro league at least according to this article in Le Droit:-

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7v4wzk

I suspect provincial soccer associations would suddenly develop similar ambitions out west if there was ever any serious danger of an OSA sanctioned league expanding to that part of the country.

The Quebec Federation did infact block other CSL franchises in Quebec under the intruction of Suputo. I'm pretty sure that its a known fact that Joey is at the head of the football mofia in Quebec. start a blog, call yourself a member of the media, call the CSL office and ask for yourself...that way its just not a random guy on a msg board :D.

-The Attak are planning on changing their name to "Impact Juniors" within the next season or team...another weird happening.

Someone should call Suputo out on this at his next press conference

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

other CSL news..

-Joey Suputo continues to block CSL teams in Quebec. Really wierd..

This is so frustrating. Mind you, in the past two seconds I've just had a brain wave: why do I care? I don't live in Quebec. I do live in Ottawa and it would be nice to see a team spring up across the river in Hull/Gatineau. But heck, I'll look West. Hamilton starts in 2010! This is excellent news. It's funny because the process seems so easy: 780,000 dollars (franchise fee) + 1,000,000 (modest payroll) a stadium. 20 decent players. and some marketing. that's all you need to have a USL-1 team. Why do we still have so many large urban centres without teams?

I cannot wait until the CSL expands to the West. Man that will so nice. Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary.

The Quebec Federation did infact block other CSL franchises in Quebec under the intruction of Suputo. I'm pretty sure that its a known fact that Joey is at the head of the football mofia in Quebec. start a blog, call yourself a member of the media, call the CSL office and ask for yourself...that way its just not a random guy on a msg board :D.

-The Attak are planning on changing their name to "Impact Juniors" within the next season or team...another weird happening.

Someone should call Suputo out on this at his next press conference

This is why we should not have the big three in charge of our pro soccer destiny either, the people at the helm of these clubs are not soccer oriented and they're in it for the image, the money and tax writeoffs of course.

I'm almost tempted to follow the trend in these parts and try that. :) I don't doubt for a minute that's what you were told so there is really no need in this instance though. I'm skeptical that Joey Saputo has that sort of hold over the Quebec Soccer Assocation regardless of the spin that appears to have been placed on events by the CSA office people. I suspect the Quebec soccer chiefs probably had their own agenda (i.e. they want to launch their own semi-pro league). One thing Canadian soccer bureaucrats usually tend to do well is guarding their turf from outside intrusion, which diminishes their influence and prestige. How would it look if all of Quebec's top teams were playing in an Ontario League?

• 2 months later...

UPDATE:

Apparently the club moving into Hamilton is the currently defunct Brampton franchise that was replaced by the Brampton Lions. This team was bought for an estimated $100 000 however as it is already a member of the Canadian Soccer League will not have to pay any sort of league expansion fees. The will play out of the new McMaster Stadium, 6000 seated, artificial turf with a whole lot of American football lines.

possible names Hamilton Fc, Hamilton Steelers, Hamilton United F.C. It was reported that the Lynx were behind this, that might not be the case however, should find out soon though.

Archived