Montreal Impact - Santos Laguna [R]

Pumas UNAM-Cruz Azul highlight quarterfinal pairings for CONCACAF Champions League

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4565

12/10/2008 - NEW YORK – Mexico City rivals Pumas and Cruz Azul will meet in the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League, selected Wednesday to face each other in the tournament’s knockout-round draw.

Atlante of Mexico will play the Houston Dynamo, Mexico’s Santos will go against the Montreal Impact, and Marathon of Honduras will take on the Puerto Rico Islanders in the other quarterfinals.

Houston, Montreal, Puerto Rico and Cruz Azul, which finished as runners-up in the group stage, will host the first leg of the quarterfinals 24-26 February, with group winners Atlante, Santos, Marathon and Pumas staging second legs 3-5 March.

“The pairings for the quarterfinals have me looking forward to a really exciting finish of our inaugural Champions League,” CONCACAF General Secretary Chuck Blazer said. “The route for the winner will not be easy and that makes it all the more interesting.”

The draw, conducted by Deputy General Secretary Italo Zanzi in the television studios at the confederation’s New York headquarters, also determined the semifinal matches.

The winner between Santos and Montreal will host the first leg of the semifinals against the Atlante-Houston winner 17-19 March. Atlante or Houston will stage the second leg 7-9 April.

In the second semifinal, Marathon or Puerto Rico will be at home for the first leg against either Cruz Azul or Pumas. The semifinal winner involving Marathon-Puerto Rico and Cruz Azul-Pumas will host the first leg of the finals 21-23 April, with the decisive match being played 28-30 April at the home of whomever prevails among Atlante, Houston, Santos and Montreal.

This is the inaugural year for Champions League, the premier club competition for CONCACAF. The 24-team competition, which replaced the Champions Cup, began 26 August with the Preliminary Round and will decide the confederation’s representative to the 2009 FIFA Club World Cup.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if Cuauhtemoc Blanco will play in this one.

He's currently on loan to Santos Laguna From Chicago, but I'm not sure when the loan deal ends. He would be that big draw that the Impact need to help fill the Big Owe (if that's indeed where they end up playing).

quote:Originally posted by Raven

This is the draw most Impact fans were looking for. I can't wait until it begins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mind you Santos just won the Clausura 2008

Not really. From the best chance to win persective we were hoping for Marathon. From the most interesting/cheapest place to visit and most prestigious team to play we were hoping for PUMAS.

Santos Laguna is finished 2nd in their group behind Atlante. In the overall standings they would be in 10th place though I am not sure if the 3 groups in Mexico play a balanced schedule. They qualified for the playoffs but were eliminated last weekend by Deportivo Toluca. Considering we did well against Atlante I think we should have a decent chance against SL. They have one of the newer and nicer stadiums in Mexico. Their city Torrean will probably be the hardest of the possible opponents cities to get to, halfway between Texas and Mexico City.

Corona_A.jpg

Corona.jpg

4765501.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Not really. From the best chance to win persective we were hoping for Marathon. From the most interesting/cheapest place to visit and most prestigious team to play we were hoping for PUMAS.

This was based on them being the weakest 1st place finisher, but since they now have won the Clausura 2008, I'm just happy the schedule is out. As a site to visit....I'm so far away from anywhere it dosen't matter :)

Just realized I got the Clausura and Apertura mixed up.....

Yes they were good in the Clausura but pretty mediocre in the rescent Apertura. It is hard to say who is the weaker between Marathon and Santos Laguna but we did pretty well against Olimpia so I think we felt most confident drawing Marathon. Some of us are planning to go to the game and Torreon is probably the hardest of the three cities to get to and seemingly the least interesting to visit though maybe my opinion will change after being there. Playing PUMAS in Olympic Stadium would have been huge, Santos Laguna is not that big of a name team even in Mexico. I have to say overall I am disappointed but hopefully it will work out for the best.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Is at at the Big O for sure now? Cause I'd love to try and get to Montreal for the game if it was.

Still not decided according to the following Impact press release:

THE IMPACT WILL FACE CLUB SANTOS LAGUNA IN THE CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTERFINALS

PRESS RELEASE: December 10, 2008

MONTREAL – The Montreal Impact and Club Santos Laguna from Mexico will match up in the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal round. This is the result of a draw that took place at the CONCACAF offices Wednesday morning, in New York.

The four quarterfinal rounds will be home and away aggregate goals series, which will involve the top two teams of the four groups following the group stage. That knockout phase will be played from February 24 to 26 and March 3 to 5.

“At this stage of the tournament, all teams are good and Santos Laguna is certainly an excellent club,” said Impact head coach John Limniatis. “This team had a good season in the Mexican championship. Santos Laguna played against Puerto Rico during the group stage, so we have seen them play. Now we will try to know more about them.”

After winning the first edition of the Nutrilite Canadian Championship, the Impact defeated Real Estelí FC (Nicaragua) in the preliminary round, then finished second in Group C in the group stage with a record of three wins, one loss and two ties.

Club Santos Laguna ended first in Group D the group stage with a record of three wins, two losses and one tie.

The Montreal organization still does not know if it will play its quarterfinal game at the Olympic Stadium but remains optimistic.

“We are still waiting for an answer,” said Impact Executive Vice President Richard Legendre. “Everybody is looking for a solution and we see the willingness of all the people involved. The Olympic Stadium remains the only true option.”

In the semifinals, the winner of the series between the Impact and the Club Santos Laguna will face the winner of the series between the Houston Dynamo (MLS) and Atlante FC (Mexico).

In the two other quarterfinal matchups, the Puerto Rico Islanders (D1 USL) will face CD Marathon (Honduras), and DCSC Cruz Azul (Mexico) will battle against Pumas UNAM (Mexico).

The winners of this round will move to the semifinals that will take place March 17 to 19, and from April 7 to 9, 2009. The championship final will be played April 21 to 23 and 28 to 30, 2009. The CONCACAF Champions League winner will qualify as the CONCACAF's representative to the 2009 edition of the FIFA Club World Cup, in December.

THE IMPACT KICKS OFF ITS TRAINING CAMP JANUARY 5

To prepare for this historical series, the Impact will kick off the 16th training camp in club history, Monday, January 5, at Catalogna Soccerplexe, in Lachine. The Impact should train daily, except on Sundays, and should play a number of pre-season games on Saturdays.

For a second straight year, the team will travel to Italy for a pre-season tour. The Impact will be in Florence, from January 31 to February 13. During that trip, the club should play three additional exhibition games. The Impact's opponents and game schedule will be announced at a later date.

“This trip to Italy will help the team prepare for the CONCACAF Champions League game,” said Impact technical director Nick De Santis. “We will have the chance to face quality teams that are in the middle of their championship.”

Nick De Santis and Impact President Joey Saputo will be flying to Florence this Monday to visit the facilities and meet a number of Italian clubs. Head coach John Limniatis and assistant coach Marc Dos Santos will be attending the USL Showcase, in Charleston, South Carolina, from December 13 to 16.

Tickets for the CONCACAF Champions League quarterfinal match will be on sale at a later date. However, it is possible to purchase 2009 season tickets at 514-328-3668 or by visiting www.impactmontreal.com.

-30-

Source: Patrick Vallée, Montreal Impact

Info: 514-328-3668 (ext. 227)

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

At least we shouldn't see as many Mexicans overtaking the Big O as we would with Pumas.

I actually see this as a negative in many ways. We will still get a lot of Mexicans but they will be like the Mexicans who came to the Atlante game, not really fans of the team and not very passionate. PUMAS would have made the game a much bigger event and drawn a bigger crowd of both Mexicans and Canadians which would be good for the Impact finances and soccer in Montreal. As a fan it is also more fun to be at a game when you have strong opposition support, that is why derbies are so great.

Well, I think Montreal did all right with the draw. I still don't think they have a chance of advancing further in the tourny but what slim chance I did give them improved slightly after yesterday.

This match may carry enough novelty factor to be a successful event if promoted properly. But that's up to Saputo and his bank.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

USA before Toronto? The game HAS to be played in Montreal though. No doubt about it. If the Big O is not going to work out, Saputo has to find a way to heat the grounds.

I agree... roll out the drums of hot tar!!! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Keano

I agree... roll out the drums of hot tar!!! [:P]

I don't think Saputo Stadium is an option under any circumstances. If they can't get Olympic stadium (which does not seem likely) I think big stadiums like Rogers Centre or Gillette stadium will be too expensive for an event that won't draw very well outside of Montreal. I would think in this case they would probably use a smaller outdoor stadium like Swanguard or one in Florida.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I wonder if Cuauhtemoc Blanco will play in this one.

He's currently on loan to Santos Laguna From Chicago, but I'm not sure when the loan deal ends. He would be that big draw that the Impact need to help fill the Big Owe (if that's indeed where they end up playing).

Blanco's loan deal was only scheduled to last until the end of the Mexican playoffs. Since Santos was just knocked out, his time with them should be done. He would have added an extra dimension to the game for sure.

cheers,

matthew

Guest Jeffery S.

Agree with Cheeta it is an okay draw. Montreal is starting camp early, should be ready. Santos Laguna is not a heavyweight in Mexico, they don't have the same pressure on them to win as other clubs, do not have the tradition. I prefer them to almost all the other Mexican sides qualified.

Going to be a great match-up, looking forward to it.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I actually see this as a negative in many ways. We will still get a lot of Mexicans but they will be like the Mexicans who came to the Atlante game, not really fans of the team and not very passionate. PUMAS would have made the game a much bigger event and drawn a bigger crowd of both Mexicans and Canadians which would be good for the Impact finances and soccer in Montreal. As a fan it is also more fun to be at a game when you have strong opposition support, that is why derbies are so great.

You were at the Honduras game in Montreal (or even the Edmonton game). I'd rather half less semi-interested "opposition" fans than more actual supporters of the opposition.

Montreal fans need to step up, and it will be much less "intimidating" to do so for most of them with "soft" opposition supporters.

If the game takes place in Montreal .. one hopes the whole town will get turned on to turning out in the venue and having a soccer carnival....

Given the F1 is gone..maybe Montreal City will get behind this as a real event.. not just a game.

They need to begin now with the hype.

funny that there was no mention of the draw at on on soccer central

they covered the european c l pre draw n mentioned the games will be played in feb

toronto fc

the club world cup

nothing abt the impact draw in ccl.

as if they dnt exsist.

Archived