Montreal Impact - Santos Laguna [R]

quote:Originally posted by sj

funny that there was no mention of the draw at on on soccer central

they covered the european c l pre draw n mentioned the games will be played in feb

toronto fc

the club world cup

nothing abt the impact draw in ccl.

as if they dnt exsist.

It should be called Toronto-centric. Get with the program Dobber:D

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do many people watch soccer central anymore? Ever since Setanta got most of the tv rights to the premiership, I'm too busy watching other games to care about soccer central. When sportsnet had the rights the show was sandwiched in there in between games and I watched it all the time, but now that lone sportnet game is PVR'ed to watch something over the next week.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Do many people watch soccer central anymore? Ever since Setanta got most of the tv rights to the premiership, I'm too busy watching other games to care about soccer central. When sportsnet had the rights the show was sandwiched in there in between games and I watched it all the time, but now that lone sportnet game is PVR'ed to watch something over the next week.

The game on Sportsnet is the second choice match too which gives me less of a reason to watch it. Recently I've just been enjoying watching the scousers draw at home every week in that 10 am slot :). But I don't watch soccer central, there are other much better football shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Impact fans.

In the event any of you were considering going to Torreón to watch the Impact there I suggest flying into Mexico City and then taking a bus (luxury class) to Torreón if you want to go cheaply. Torréon is about 8hrs from the US border to give you an idea.

It cost me about $60 after the exchange and was much more comfy than anything Greyhound or Coach Canada offers. Hell they even give you snack and pop to go! The bad thing is that bus ride is 12hrs, but the temperature in Torreón is nice and comfy (mid 20´s when I was there) but most of all it´s generally safe.

Safe travels, but TFC is gonna the V´s cup in 2009!

The dates have also been set even if the stadium has not, Wed. February 25th at 8pm and the return match on Thursday March 5th at 9 pm (these are apparently local times so I assume the late start is due to the heat).

http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4582

If anyone is thinking of going to the game in Torreon, look on the Ultras website.

quote:Originally posted by MTL_4_LIFE

They did say anything about where the Impact are going to be playing.

Brian Wilde (Impact play by play man Team 990 Montreal)Was on a panel for a year in review segment, on CTV and he mentioned that the game will be played at the Big Owe, made it seem like a scoop, for whatever thats worth.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Impact

Brian Wilde (Impact play by play man Team 990 Montreal)Was on a panel for a year in review segment, on CTV and he mentioned that the game will be played at the Big Owe, made it seem like a scoop, for whatever thats worth.

Hopefully Brian is right...

That speculation from Brian is just as good as me stating on these boards. Trust me no one has an insight on whats happening except the people running the show.

Brian,ctv, team 990, and rds can say all they want about the game being played at the big O. Heck they got pretty good chances of being right, but honestly the big boys wouldn't let any info leak.

or so my sources have told me;)

I have to agree that Brian Wilde is just speculating and stating what we all think will and should happen. The contacts I have with the team do not know and it is my opinion (unless things have changed in the last few days) that the team itself doesn't know. Believe me the Impact staff are worrying because this is a big project to organize regardless of where it is played and the less time they have to work on it the harder it is going to be for them. The problem is that the ultimate decision will be made by engineers and fire department safety inspectors so it is not exactly something you can campaign for. If they say it is unsafe to play in February in Olympic Stadium they will not play there. I do think that the decision will be released soon in early January. I am still confident that that is where we will play but if the announcement is delayed past mid-January I will start to worry.

I have to agree that Brian Wilde is just speculating and stating what we all think will and should happen. The contacts I have with the team do not know and it is my opinion (unless things have changed in the last few days) that the team itself doesn't know. Believe me the Impact staff are worrying because this is a big project to organize regardless of where it is played and the less time they have to work on it the harder it is going to be for them. The problem is that the ultimate decision will be made by engineers and fire department safety inspectors so it is not exactly something you can campaign for. If they say it is unsafe to play in February in Olympic Stadium they will not play there. I do think that the decision will be released soon in early January. I am still confident that that is where we will play but if the announcement is delayed past mid-January I will start to worry.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

If it falls through there is no good plan B, but the lesser of evils would be the Skydome IMO. Florida or any US venue would be an embarassment.

Where ever it is, a decision should be made quickly if the Impact plan to market this game in any shape or form, it would be nice to know where the game will be played. I Personally hope Richard Legendre makes himself useful, and pulls some strings with the burocrats at the RIO to get this thing going. Otherwise this guy as been pretty useless in his involvement with the Impact, if you factor in the whole MLS debacle.

Where ever it is, a decision should be made quickly if the Impact plan to market this game in any shape or form, it would be nice to know where the game will be played. I Personally hope Richard Legendre makes himself useful, and pulls some strings with the burocrats at the RIO to get this thing going. Otherwise this guy as been pretty useless in his involvement with the Impact, if you factor in the whole MLS debacle.

Exactly where do you get your information that Legendre is useless? Do you sit on Impact board meetings? Do you personally know Impact staff? I highly doubt you have any information whatsoever on Legendre's competency or what he is doing with the club so do not post as if you do. Legendre runs the team administration and for the most part despite whatever differences I and the Ultras may have with the team in some areas I don't think anyone can claim the team is not well run, ie. Legendre is doing his job. I highly doubt that Legendre was the guy who made the decision to not offer the required expansion fee for the MLS bid so I doubt he can take any blame for its failure. If you had even bothered to read the thread you would have also learned that it is engineers and the fire department safety inspectors that will make the decision and unless they are corrupt this is not open to lobbying. The RIO bureaucrats are 100% in favour of hosting the game, they probably want it even more than the Impact does because it would allow them to host other events during the winter.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Exactly where do you get your information that Legendre is useless? Do you sit on Impact board meetings? Do you personally know Impact staff? I highly doubt you have any information whatsoever on Legendre's competency or what he is doing with the club so do not post as if you do. Legendre runs the team administration and for the most part despite whatever differences I and the Ultras may have with the team in some areas I don't think anyone can claim the team is not well run, ie. Legendre is doing his job. I highly doubt that Legendre was the guy who made the decision to not offer the required expansion fee for the MLS bid so I doubt he can take any blame for its failure. If you had even bothered to read the thread you would have also learned that it is engineers and the fire department safety inspectors that will make the decision and unless they are corrupt this is not open to lobbying. The RIO bureaucrats are 100% in favour of hosting the game, they probably want it even more than the Impact does because it would allow them to host other events during the winter.

Are you paid by the Impact to be their official spokesperson on this board? Is that why you get so irate over these things? If you are not paid, what is your motivation for doing it on your own accord?

If you think they are so competent why don't you let them answer for themselves instead of taking the job on yourself and insulting other members of the board?

Is there a reason that this game can't be held at Saputo? Other than that it's cold outside?

In Toronto, we asked what the plan was if TFC were to ever host a quarterfinal game. Management didn't even hesitate to answer BMO. The bubble would come down and we'd put on our parkas.

So, with apologizes if this has been talked about and I missed it, why can't you hold the damn game in your actual stadium?

(Also, since TFC said it would have held the game at BMO if TFC was in it...has the possibility of Montreal playing that game there been considered. The three pro clubs did pledge to work together for the betterment of the game in Canada after all...)

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

BMO is artificial grass, so apart from cold playing there is not a problem, but if you play on natural grass during winter you will destroy it and laying new grass in the spring for the season in the summer is not ideal, it would lead to another field destroyed in the middle of summer.

Maybe. They do play this game in winter months in cold countries though. (And I'll resist pointing out that you just made an argument for why FieldTurf makes sense in Canada -- I wouldn't want the non-Toronto fans to not have the plastic pitch dig to throw around)

FieldTurf and its sub-surface does not freeze, especially if it has been kept under a heated bubble till the last moment, the damp ground beneath exposed natural turf does freeze and becomes dangerous to play on. It thus is quite possible albeit perhaps a little chilly, to play on FieldTurf outdoors in the middle of a Canadian winter at -15C but not natural grass. Plus as has been pointed out already, playing on solidly frozen natural turf will destroy it (and the players).

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

Maybe. They do play this game in winter months in cold countries though. (And I'll resist pointing out that you just made an argument for why FieldTurf makes sense in Canada -- I wouldn't want the non-Toronto fans to not have the plastic pitch dig to throw around)

I absolutely agree with you, Field turf does make sense in Canada and I'm all for it at an amateur and recreationnal level but nothing beats playing on a good regular turf.

I broke my leg a couple of years ago and I stopped jogging because of it, every time I run on asphalt for more than 30 min my leg hurts like hell for two days, if I run on grass it's quite all right. There is an artificial field close to my home and when I play on it it does to my leg the same as running on asphalt.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Hey buddy relax....I was stating an OPINION, and I don't sit on any Impact board meetings, and you don't either. Just because you have been named official spokes person for the Ultras, doesn't make you the source for everything Impact. My opinion was based on what was written regarding Legendres hiring, and an interview I heard with both Joey Saputo and Richard Legendre.

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/233131.html

As far as the game at the Big Owe is concerned, it is Legendres Job to make sure that the file doesn't sit on someones desk, and nothing is being done. We are January 5th, and the game is in February, and yet no news on what could potentially be the Club's biggest game in its short History. Im not asking for him to use short cuts or to cut corners, everything should be done correctly, I just hope he's gets the Job done.

Don't kid yourself, this guy was heavily involved in the MLS bid, he might not have the Final say on the bid amount, but as a vice president of the club, he obviously wasn't able to convince Joey to go a different route, so yeah I blame him in part. As far as the administration of the club, I think a monkey can do just aswell. How hard could it be to give tickets to minor league soccer clubs?

I called the Impact office this morning. They told me to expect an announcement regarding the match venue to arrive before the end of the day Wednesday. She also went on to say that if there is still no update to the Impact website by that point, that they will probably be going to a plan B that will be announced before the end of day Friday.

Hey buddy relax....I was stating an OPINION, and I don't sit on any Impact board meetings, and you don't either. Just because you have been named official spokes person for the Ultras, doesn't make you the source for everything Impact. My opinion was based on what was written regarding Legendres hiring, and an interview I heard with both Joey Saputo and Richard Legendre.

http://www.rds.ca/impact/chroniques/233131.html

As far as the game at the Big Owe is concerned, it is Legendres Job to make sure that the file doesn't sit on someones desk, and nothing is being done. We are January 5th, and the game is in February, and yet no news on what could potentially be the Club's biggest game in its short History. Im not asking for him to use short cuts or to cut corners, everything should be done correctly, I just hope he's gets the Job done.

Don't kid yourself, this guy was heavily involved in the MLS bid, he might not have the Final say on the bid amount, but as a vice president of the club, he obviously wasn't able to convince Joey to go a different route, so yeah I blame him in part. As far as the administration of the club, I think a monkey can do just aswell. How hard could it be to give tickets to minor league soccer clubs?

I don't think that someone who is making a baseless claim that another individual is "useless" is in any position to tell me to relax. You are entitled to post your opinion but if it is a crap opinion stemming from ignorance I am equally entitled to post that it is crap. I think the statement that you think a monkey could run the club just as well is pretty indicative of the quality of your OPINIONS.

I have never claimed to be the source for everything Impact. Many people post information and opinions here about the Impact who are not even Impact fans or Montrealais and I have no problem with that whether I agree with their opinions or not as long as they are not posting BS based on ignorance like your post on Legendre. And posting a link to an article that merely states what Legendre has done in the past, how happy he is to join the Impact and how happy the Impact are to have him provides absolutely no justification for your claim that he is useless.

I do not sit on Impact board meetings but I regularly talk to people who do. I also have a lot of informal, private conversations with them about how things are run at the club. Everyone I have talked to is very positive about Legendre and states that he is very competent. It is not a regular occurence that I hear people talk so positively about their boss so there must be something to it. Yes he was heavily involved in the MLS bid process but it was a bid in which they were only offering half of the required expansion fee so his hands were tied. Unless he was the one who made the decision to offer only a $20 million expansion fee instead of the required $40 million I don't think you can put any of the blame on him. I highly doubt he was the person who made this decision.

Contrary to your opinion that a monkey could run a club, I think it is very difficult to run a club. I think regardless of some criticisms I and others have of the Impact, very few people would claim that the Impact is not a well run club. I think the Impact staff including Legendre are doing an excellent job especially given that at this level of professional sports it is hard to hire an adequate number of staff and many of them are overworked. Even though I am often critical of some of Saputo's decisions, I would also include him in my appraisal that the club is well run. I think he screwed up the MLS bid but otherwise he runs the club very well.

If the Impact are not able to play this game at Olympic Stadium it is not through any lack of effort on the part of their staff, Legendre or Saputo. It is probably also not do to any lack of effort on the part of the RIO in whose absolute best interest it is that the game takes place in their stadium. For 10 years neither the engineers nor fire department have been able to determine why the roof collapsed nor to guarantee that it won't happen again. I can not comment on why this is or whether they have made adequate efforts to do so but believe me it is not an easy process to get this issue resolved.

Archived