MLS Commissioner Backs Portland 2011 Bid

Luis_Rancagua

My money is still on Vancouver and St. Louis. The success of Toronto (and season ticket sales so far in Seattle) - where the clubs seem to be run with a "grassroots" style - can't be ignored. It would be a huge gamble for MLS to go for a Barcelona-backed Miami club, especially as the Chivas USA crowds in L.A. are so small. Atlanta can't even handle a USL-1 club, and Portland and Ottawa require too much public money/cooperation that simply isn't going to materialize.

The only thing I can see really going for Atlanta and Miami are that they are in geographical areas that don't already have clubs... but if that was a big concern, we'd see a new club in North Dakota.

^I agree, but I think Stadium readiness will come into play for when they will start. St. Louis might have a guaranteed stadium loan if they get MLS, but from what I understand they have some renderings and thats about it. While the St. Louis fanboys on bigsoccer think they can build the stadium overnight, I am doubtful that they can get the money released, can create blueprints, get planning permission, get infrustrature in place and build the stadium in just two years. Portland could play at PGE as is if their upgrades got delayed (but approved), and Miami could play tomorrow. Because of this I think it will be Portland and Miami in 2011. With Vancouver and St. Louis in 2012.

Archived