Greg Sutton adds his voice to the anti-CSA debate

VPjr

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Dale Mitchell was a poor choice in every single way. His appointment was based on the CSA being cheap and everyone kows it. Trying to justify it in retrospect based on his U20 record and ncaa basketball coaches is stupid. In general, u20 coaches are suitable candidates for the NT. Pekerman comes to mind. The difference with Mitchell is that Mitchell was a poor coach. Recent U20 successes are owed to Hume and Gyaki, not Mitchell, and that is obvious. There is no defending his appointment. It was not a reasonable move because there were clearly better options.

Where in this thread someone is trying to justify DM hiring by comparing him to an NCAA coach??? Either you haven't read the thread or you just don't understand the discussion. The point was brought by Canuck Orange and I answered this point independantly than the others. I shouldn't discussed that since I thought at first that was a poor example to compare U-20's with the NCAA.

Do you realize that most teams at the U-20's level have their stars players? It's easy to say Mitchell's success is due to Hume and Gyaki but I think you could say that of every coach in every successfull team on the planet. Perkemann success was due to the presence Javier Saviola, Maxi Rodriguez and a few others. It's easy and very stupid to come with BS analysis like that.

I have seen the 2005 Mexico and Honduras games and I thought we were pretty well organized in both games (we gave very chances with our keeper making only one outstanding save from what I remember). Of course Gyaki was superb in that tourney but the team was also disciplined and defended well.

I'm not saying DM should've been hired base on his U-20's record, just that he had some success as a coach. Something that people can't even recognized here. Just for fun guys, go read a few threads dating the 2003 WYC or the 2005 U-20 WYCQ and read your comments about Mister Mitchell......you'll find it a bit contradictory with your present views. At the time the general belief was that Mitchell was a good coach and that he would make one day a good MNT head coach....

BTW, you failed to mention that Dale was hired prior to the GC andf the U-20 WC debacle. So your post doesn't make much sense in that regard.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fact that he was hired prior to the u20 WC makes the CSA look even more incompetent. idiots!

If Hume and Gyaki didn't happen to play the best games of their entire careers at the U20 level, then we wouldn't be having this discussion about Mitchell. His deficiencies would have been exposed back then and he would've been tossed.

Of course other teams have their stars that make coaches look good. the difference is that mitchell is useless, and those 2 players single handedly scored all of the goals that have given any credence to Mitchell's coaching success.

I realize that you think Dale was a decent/competent U20 coach and that it was understandable to promote him. I'm just saying that any success he had in the past was just smoke and mirrors, and he was clearly and brutally exposed at senior level. too bad for us.

Archived