Julian De Guzman a Lou Marsh Award Finalist

Gian-Luca

Not that i want to turn this into a completely seperate arguement but...

Of all people who could by sympathetic to Steve Nash, I think we could proabably find a way considering the state of basketball is pretty similar to the state of soccer in this country.

Nash has represented his country in the past, right now he's in his mid 30's health is no gaurantee and to me he's perfectly entitled to say no at this point (or at the point when he was asked in the past when he was over 30).

For anyone who wants to do some extra digging, half the reason he doesn't play is in support of Jay Triano, who was screwed over by the association and subsequently replaced with a man with half a brain (aka Leo Rautins). There were some other issues behind there as well, I can't remember specifics.

Bottom line is Basketball is as screwed or not more screwed up than soccer in this country. Nash does tons of charity work and other things with his spare time, so you can't exactly call him selfish.

quote:Originally posted by SouthAfricaOrBust

Stevie Nash has no problem winning and he refuses to play for his country.

Stop it. Respectfully, we've discussed this ad nauseum before.

Nash wore the Canadian uniform before without complaint and led

the Canadian Olympic team in Sydney. He's retired from international

play, like Radzinski had done.

Nash is still the best player available to play for Canada, him not playing since 2004 (when he was 30) is not something I'm ready to ignore because he's a nice guy. A lot of teams are using guys over 30 internationally so if Steve is call by the coach and he's still playing in the best league in the world, and he's healthy, he should say yes I'm playing for my country.

That's the same I expect from all our soccer players. And with basketball, you have only to play once every 4 yrs in the Americas tournament, Nash could easily have the friendlies off...

To stay on topic, good to see JDG nominated, is he in as a dancer or a soccer player?

^Say what you will, but I strongly believe F1 driving is a sport. You have to be alot more athletic to race in that series than to be a right fielder. You need nerves of steel, and an unreal reaction time to drive in F1. I would put Villeneuve's 1997 Drivers Championship up there with one of Canada's greatest sporting achievements of all time.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

^Say what you will, but I strongly believe F1 driving is a sport. You have to be alot more athletic to race in that series than to be a right fielder. You need nerves of steel, and an unreal reaction time to drive in F1. I would put Villeneuve's 1997 Drivers Championship up there with one of Canada's greatest sporting achievements of all time.

Oh, I agree about what you say about car drivers...but the problem is how much the car matters in the order they finished.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Oh, I agree about what you say about car drivers...but the problem is how much the car matters in the order they finished.

Well, I believe that Schumacher had a better car than Villeneuve in 1997 but Villeneuve won the championship anyway (yes!). Back to the topic, it's good to see Julian nominated but in my opinion the prize goes to one of athlets who won a gold medal this summer (but not the man and his horse, hehe).

I'm not going to deny the incredible stones and reactions you need to have in order to race an F1 car. I think we're comparing different skillsets, and besides Walker earned his due with his own Lou Marsh Award the following year and had a pretty outstanding major league career overall.

Happy to see DeGuzman get his nomination: I thought he was nominated last year, but I guess I'm wrong.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

True and then again not-so-true. The number of drivers who can keep winning designs winning is very, very, limited. Too much car and not enough driver adds up to disaster. That is to say it's the ability of the car which reveals the true ability of the driver if I'm making sense.

Keeping with that thought the ability to tune the car to the driver (amongst other things) is HUGE as well.

So,,,,I'd say the team around the driver (which includes his ride) has an effect and influence on how we perceive that drivers ability in much the same way as our perception of an athlete's quality is influenced by the overall quality of the team/league that they play on or with.

Which seems fair enough to me.

I despise watching car racing, but I have to agree completely here. This was a very big deal all over the world, and was headline news all over Canada during that championship year. Sure, it's not a traditional ball sport, and, crucially, it's a not a sport that most people ever have the chance to try, two reasons why I think the incredible skill involved in car racing is so often questioned or even ridiculed by traditional sports fans.

I just checked the link now and Eric Lamaze is in the lead by a ton. I know this is a bit controversial but is equestrian/show jumping a sport? The horse works tons but the jockey (I guess he guides the horse)? If JDG doesn't get it, I hope it's someone like Chantal Petticlerc or Daniel Nestor.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

I just checked the link now and Eric Lamaze is in the lead by a ton. I know this is a bit controversial but is equestrian/show jumping a sport? The horse works tons but the jockey (I guess he guides the horse)? If JDG doesn't get it, I hope it's someone like Chantal Petticlerc or Daniel Nestor.

I once got into this discussion with a horse riding friend of mine. First, she explained to me how the rider is really doing a lot of work and not just there for the ride but then she went on to expound about how it is the purest form of sport because it is one of very few events where men and women compete on an equal footing. To me, if men and women are competing on equal footing in an event like this then the horse must be doing most of the work.

But maybe that's just the chauvinistic plebeian coming out in me.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

I once got into this discussion with a horse riding friend of mine. First, she explained to me how the rider is really doing a lot of work and not just there for the ride but then she went on to expound about how it is the purest form of sport because it is one of very few events where men and women compete on an equal footing. To me, if men and women are competing on equal footing in an event like this then the horse must be doing most of the work.

But maybe that's just the chauvinistic plebeian coming out in me.

I agree that the rider does take action to ensure that the horse does what it's supposed to. But the rider doesn't have to jump or perform anything too physical to get the desired result.

As for your last sentence, does your wife know this? If not, I can drop a copy of this at your home after work... :-)

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

As for your last sentence, does your wife know this? If not, I can drop a copy of this at your home after work... :-)

She knows all to well.

It's a sad state of affairs when all we have to talk about on this board are the merits of show jumping.

I got my vote in. He is now comfortably in second place with well over 600 votes. Its an interesting situation because for the second year in a row a Cnd soccer player is on that list of finalist ( recall that Dwayne DeRosario) was a finalist last year. Yet, this year, there are no clear cut favourites amongst the other contenders. With that, JDG is actually in a better position than DeRo.

You would think the JDG stands a good chance based on his league play. But the downside has got to be the WCQ outcome. Though JDG played as well as was possible under the circustances in WCQ, it doesn't change the fact that the campaign was not a success. So dont be surprised if that fact is not overlooked by the panel

Archived