U20 Odds & Ends

Vic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

958044_small.jpg

No, but I will keep my eyes open for it. Is it on the FIFA video site?

North Korea walks Mexico 5-1. Corral gets the Mexican goal. She's really flatened out from her prodigious debut as a young teenager many years ago.

Brazil smacks Norway down 3-0. Norway had to outpoint and score North Korea today to go through. Tough month for the Viking women. Five more walk from the the national team and the juniors go home in shame.

Whenever England's Jessica Clarke gets the ball at the FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup 2008, a buzz goes around the crowd. The ball seems glued to her boots as she sets off on lightning dribbles, seemingly able to unleash any number of tricks and flicks while still managing to bring her team-mates into play. The 19-year-old winger is the kind of player who can change a match with a moment of pure inspiration, and she has been a big part of England's success so far in Chile.

"Even as a little girl I loved playing football. Since I wasn't very big, I had to rely on my speed and technique. I love having the ball at my feet," the 1.63m (5'4") Leeds Carnegie LFC player told FIFA.com. "Before I used to play against boys a lot, and they were all really good on the ball. I had to keep up, so I learned from them."

Interesting how one player with skill has put a team through... now where is our one skilled dribbler ?

She had a world class finish on a breakaway off a beautiful through ball from a teammate. I feel bad for the English keeper who played it pretty well. Leroux also had a nice header off a corner before that too. She is more than capable but doesn't really stand out on the American team, they have a lot of quality all over the field. The right forward that was subbed with 10 left has a lot of pace and savvy too.

The English player with the skills was pretty invisible. She may have been able to light it up against weaker nations in their group like Chile and New Zealand, but obviously the American pace and athleticism across the board proved another story.

It will be interesting to see how the Americans do in the semi against Germany or Brazil (hard to believe only one of the three can make the final). Anyone can have their way with inferior programs. Good teams are defined against equal competition.

In the last few months the Americans are Olympic and U17 champions. Should be interesting to see if they can complete the sweep and win the U20 as well.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

She had a world class finish on a breakaway off a beautiful through ball from a teammate. I feel bad for the English keeper who played it pretty well. Leroux also had a nice header off a corner before that too. She is more than capable but doesn't really stand out on the American team, they have a lot of quality all over the field. The right forward that was subbed with 10 left has a lot of pace and savvy too.

The English player with the skills was pretty invisible. She may have been able to light it up against weaker nations in their group like Chile and New Zealand, but obviously the American pace and athleticism across the board proved another story.

It will be interesting to see how the Americans do in the semi against Germany or Brazil (hard to believe only one of the three can make the final). Anyone can have their way with inferior programs. Good teams are defined against equal competition.

In the last few months the Americans are Olympic and U17 champions. Should be interesting to see if they can complete the sweep and win the U20 as well.

Vic, USA didn't win the U17, North Korea did.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Well seeing as the USA scored two 3-0 wins in their group (SL had 2 of those goals and set up 3 of the others) and in their 3-0 win against England she had 2 of the 3 goals, I would say she stands out.

She was nothing special in the other two. I watched both those games you're referencing... she doesn't stand out. The team is strong top to bottom. Play up front on that team and you see a lot of opportunities. The other high attackers (Morgan and Washington) are brilliant. You would have a hard time choosing between them...

963854_full-lnd.jpg

954743_full-lnd.jpg

> 787_full-prt.jpg

958044_full-lnd.jpg

963860_full-prt.jpg

Leah Fortune (above) is another dual citizen, born in Brazil but moved to the States after that and grew up in Chicago. She only moved to Brazil 18 months ago when they scouted her. A wing defender with the typical Brazilian green light to head to net. Let's hope Brazil wins so they play the USA in the semi.

They haven't gotten anything off any of her throws.

Another really nice goal from the Germans. Brazil looks pretty weak and is and has been playing as much of a direct game as Canada plays. They're rushing out of the back and just banging the ball up the field. Can't believe I'm watching Brazil...

Great goal by the Germans. Banecki does the hard work after a excellent pass from the midfield. With Brazil down a goal, I expect to see a re-enactment of Ronaldo's yacht excursion in the German area -- i.e., a lot of muscular Brazilian ladies going down quite easily.

The Banecki's are extremely athletic and have been giving the Brazilian defenders fits. Nice play from Baunach again too... if Germany/England can take Hargreaves from us, maybe we can get a line on her.

Has there ever been another FIFA world championship game where a pair of twins have each scored?

That USA v. Germany semi-final is going to be some game. Two really good teams who both move the ball around wonderfully and play the game at a high level.

And same as the U17s, is there anyone else out there who wonders if the North Koreans have any U20 players on their team?

Nice gaffe by the German keeper...

WTF with your Hargreaves comments? Germany didn't take Hargreaves from 'us'.

So we beat the USA in qualifying and came close with the Germans. I would say the coaching change was a huge factor. Thanks for that CSA!!!

Archived