U20 - GM3 CAN vs GER

Vic

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, it was a bit of a tease. The officials missed their first goal, and their defender gave us a goal... and we're lucky they couldn't finish today or else they would have had a basketful.

That German team is quality and really enjoyable to watch. We gave it the good old Canadian try, but failed the same way all our teams do - not enough quality interplay in the attacking third.

Interesting difference between Canada and Germany... the minute the game ends I try to find out more about that left-footed #3 they have. I go to Google, type in "Katharina Baunach" hit enter, click a few links and end up on the Bayern women's homepage (club team she plays for). And what do I see? - headline and story on the 2-1 win over Canada. And I'm talking no more than 100 seconds after the game ended. And that's just a club team.

quote:Originally posted by Vic

Interesting difference between Canada and Germany... the minute the game ends I try to find out more about that left-footed #3 they have. I go to Google, type in "Katharina Baunach" hit enter, click a few links and end up on the Bayern women's homepage (club team she plays for). And what do I see? - headline and story on the 2-1 win over Canada. And I'm talking no more than 100 seconds after the game ended. And that's just a club team.

Further, it's their Women's club w/ what 4+ teams.

Definitely a huge difference between the Euro & NA model's but good to see that we are not getting blown out. Time to change our structure/model so we can catch up.

Also, most of these Euro & UK Clubs & NT programs start off at U15 or earlier so by the time the NT players hit U20 the players have been together for quite awhile. Maybe this is why the CSA has the U15's in their latest budget.

What can we take from this team moving forward:

GK - McNulty- Not good enough, not even close. She made a great stop, and looks a decent shot stopper, but has zero control of her box and was at fault for the 2nd German goal.

LB- Chapman - I think we can all agree she was Canada's best player at this tournament. She might be close to stepping up to the big team.

CB- Marton- Potential, she needs to focus on keeping her concentration levels up, especially at her position. I like her physical style. Has the speed to play CB at the International level.

CB - Bouchard - Not good enough. Good effort levels.

RB - Josan - See above

CM - Stewart - Potential, I don't think she is at her best as a holding Mid but she can pass as we saw in the Congo game, something all Canadian teams need desperately.

CM - Kyle - Strong player, looks to play the short ball on the ground. I like her game. We will be seeing her at the Sr. level again.

CM - Lam-Feist - Encouraging debut on the international stage, interesting to watch her progress over the next few years.

AM - Foligno - Was clearly playing hurt at this tourney. Was disapointing for parts of the matches she participated in. Huge Potential. Another player who plays the ball on the deck.

ST - Schacher - Brief glimpses but not enough to make the jump.

ST - Riverso - See above. Great goal against Congo

Subs

ST - Armstrong - Very disapointing against Japan. Decent stints as a sub. Would have liked to see more of her against the physical Germans.

D - Goulding - Not enough.

So how many from this team will progress? I would say 3-4, that sounds about right. Where are the next BIG stars for Canada going to come from?

Thoughts?

I see possibilities for Chapman, Filigno, Lam-Feist and Kyle. The rest for the time being can stay at club level. We also have two absent players in Sophie and JAR. I would not mind seeing Bridge working with the U20s some more. Their style of play was a clear departure from La Vida Pellerud.

You mean Leroux ;)

Without a high level elite league for promising young players to play in, we may never have big stars. The good young players need to be playing with our countries best adult women (like the Rosie White's and Katharina Baunach's off this world). Nothing can substitute for that development.

NCAA is a distraction and a vacuum and nowhere near a high enough level of play, let alone tailored to the Americans. We need a domestic women's league with geographic divisions that becomes part of a tri-party agreement between themselves, the CIS and the CSA to jointly work together to optimize the development of Canadian girls.

We do that, and focus on 150-200 players instead of just 20, and you'll see the stars come out on all our women's teams.

Actually their style of play was an exact copy of La Vida Pellerud in the first (and critical) match. He did not start two of their strongest players (Lam-Feist & Marton) - make it three if you include the injured Foligno - and the "thump and run" game was the soup du jour.

To Bridge's credit, he did change the starting eleven for the next match and the style of play improved from that woeful opening game. And it was even better in the last match.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Actually their style of play was an exact copy of La Vida Pellerud in the first (and critical) match. He did not start two of their strongest players (Lam-Feist & Marton) - make it three if you include the injured Foligno - and the "thump and run" game was the soup du jour.

To Bridge's credit, he did change the starting eleven for the next match and the style of play improved from that woeful opening game. And it was even better in the last match.

Any amateur coach who coaches at any level knows the first game in a short tournament is the most important and sets the stage for the rest of the event. Loose the first game and it becomes an exercise in math and have very little control of your own destiny. That my friends is coaching 101.

Assuming all the players were healthy (other than Filigno) IB made a major gaffe in the selection of his starting eleven in the game vs Japan and this cost him the tournament. Not starting the players listed above and starting a certain defender in the back was a major tactical error. Perhaps with the departure of BB the current coach was not fully aware of his players abilities not having had the benefit of seeing them in as many major international events. Nevertheless, if this were another country that where the general population takes football seriously and the association demands accountability the coach would have been fired or would have had the dignity and pride to resign.

quote:Originally posted by soccerhero

Any amateur coach who coaches at any level knows the first game in a short tournament is the most important and sets the stage for the rest of the event. Loose the first game and it becomes an exercise in math and have very little control of your own destiny. That my friends is coaching 101.

Assuming all the players were healthy (other than Filigno) IB made a major gaffe in the selection of his starting eleven in the game vs Japan and this cost him the tournament. Not starting the players listed above and starting a certain defender in the back was a major tactical error. Perhaps with the departure of BB the current coach was not fully aware of his players abilities not having had the benefit of seeing them in as many major international events. Nevertheless, if this were another country that where the general population takes football seriously and the association demands accountability the coach would have been fired or would have had the dignity and pride to resign.

Right on man!

In the last match the team played like I had seen them playing in CONCACAF qualifying, with skill and passing on the ground. I thought they played really well. Sure the goalie had a few lucky breaks against the Germans but the Canadians mounted some good attacks into the German area too. For a while in the first half it was one corner after another in the German zone...too bad they weren't able to capitalize on one of those.

I thought they showed good skill and potential, they seemed far more focused and determined than in the two previous games.

I agree with The Ref about the top four on the field. I think we also saw some good things from a few others, but they were less consistent. They are still young though and I don't think that it is a very big jump for a few others to bring their game and consistency up a notch.

I agree that Chapman is a great defender. In CONCACAF qualifying games I saw her losing the other team with some beautiful full speed cruyff turns and I was hooked! She's smart, fast and skilled...gotta like that.

It will be interesting to see what Lam-Feist does in the next few years, she seems to have the nose for the back of the net...but on the down side she kept falling down in the midfield when challenging or being challenged for the ball...will have to work on her balance.

As for Kyle I agree that she has great skill but it seemed to me that she didn't always have the same intensity and work rate as some of her other teamates...contrary to the commentators who seemed to think she had a brilliant game. Maybe it was the camera angles...In my opinion (from the little I have seen, to be fair) she lacks the mental intensity to become a great player.

I really like Filigno, it's really too bad she was injured. Despite the injury, she played quite well in this last game and I am certain that she has a really bright future ahead of her. She has the package, skill, speed, intensity and the pure striker's ability to find the back of the net...not at Sinclair's level, but not too far in potential.

Archived