Let think conserve..CSA programs to get the cut.

hamiltonfan

How are the other CONCACAF FA's running their U-23 programs? From what I can recall, it looked like an intensive prep starting approx 6 months prior to the qualifying tournament. I doubt we need more than that for this group.

Have a couple of friendlies during the summer in 2011 and then have some camps/games during the Holidays season. Finalized the selection with a 2 weeks camps prior to the tournament like we did this year.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

But in defense of MA's point, do we know that anybody else is out preparing like crazy for this tournament? seems to me that from what i recall, the US had one or two more friendlies than we did, and thats it. I do not ever ever recall anyone ever getting called up to a US Olympic qualifying camp in the year prior the olympuic year. I dont hear of any U23 international friendlies being played around the world, yet i check livescore.com on a semi regular basis. I am sure that there are some matches in the lead up to the olmpics. In Europe they use the U21 teams from the Euro U21 tournaments. So thats the extent of their preparation which is considerable. But the rest of world?

Lets not forget that there are only sixteen teams ( two from Concacaf) in the world that qualify for the Olympics. I caught a few games on TV and the claibre was extremely. Its not far off from the WC in quality. You need depth ( ie.: a strong domestic league with solid clubs that produce a factory of talent) to hope to gain any succees from the Olympic qualifying.

quote:Anyone know if this leaked budget has hit the traditional sports media yet?
Leaked budget?

It's great for internet forums and such but has anyone actually tried to get someone from the CSA to confirm it?

It goes both ways: as much as people here think everyone at the CSA is a complete moron, people there think...

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The Mexicans started their prep. at the 2006 Toulon U21 tournament. That's where they capped Santiago Fernandes (the kid who used to live in BC) before we'd even heard of him. The USA started their prep. at the 2007 Pan Am games, unfortunately they sent a bit of a "B" team as the Gold Cup and Copa America were also that summer.

I've followed this thread with interest. Clearly there is a scarce resource allocation matter which needs to be addressed. We seem to be discussing different National Team programs i.e MNT, Olympic Teams, U23 Teams etc. etc. Given the scarcity of CSA resources ($), and the geographic challenges we face in this country, should we not be looking at options which take advantage of economies of scale? Why can't we pull broader "squads" together to train and work together under a common coaching system amd program. Why can't we then select players for different "programs" based on their eligibility for those various programs? Why can't we arrange a series of friendly matches that include our National Team, our Olympic team, our U23's, our U17's. If some of the players end up playing in more than one game then that has to be a good thing, no?

Argentina wanted Mesi on the Olympic squad because he was eligible....I don't think they insisted that he train with their "Olympic Program".

If our younger players are given exposure in this type of environment, it has to augur well for their development and future NT squads.

What part don't I get?

Neil

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Leaked budget?

It's great for internet forums and such but has anyone actually tried to get someone from the CSA to confirm it?

It goes both ways: as much as people here think everyone at the CSA is a complete moron, people there think...

So call the CSA and ask for a copy of the budget.. what is the term .. mmm Troll ? Seriously if you want the budget and you dont believe the one posted by Richard call the CSA ask for the bookeeper, cause no competent Cost Accountant prepared this ... bit of fakery ( i.e. what lies are hidden in the each .. grouping of funds.. I see more then few.)

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

So call the CSA and ask for a copy of the budget.. what is the term .. mmm Troll ? Seriously if you want the budget and you dont believe the one posted by Richard call the CSA ask for the bookeeper, cause no competent Cost Accountant prepared this ... bit of fakery ( i.e. what lies are hidden in the each .. grouping of funds.. I see more then few.)

Bit harsh no? I don't think anyone that knows who he is would label Regs as a troll....

I am in agreement with funding all programs. We can not pick and choose which programs (age groups and gender) we should and should not fund based on upcoming events. The younger age groups are just as important as the senior teams for long term success. As the old saying goes yesterday dream will become tomorrows reality.

Having said that.....just as there is in the business world.....with funding comes accountability.

In my mind an example of where this has failed is the recent womens residence camps which came at a great cost with minimal results. I am not in favor of just throwing money away for the hell of it. Our programs and instruction need to be world class with an expectation of results. That means coaches and teams have to deliver or risk being replaced. A proffesional attitude where results matter.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

But isn't the residency program privately funded by Greg Kerfoot?

I believe you are correct.

My apologies for not being more articulate. The point i was trying to make was that we have to be very prudent with how we spend our limited funding and not just assume throwing money at a project will generate tangible results on the field. In this case there was private funding but that may not be the case in future ventures. In my busines world, which is not unlike sports in many ways, a post mortem would have been conducted to determine the 5 W's and the poor return on the investment after which time action would have been taken to ensure it does not happen again.

There is that ugly word again.....ACCOUNTABILITY.

Archived