TFC Protected & Unprotected Expansion Draft Lists

Gian-Luca

Well back to the Expansion Draft - Here are Ives' thoughts on Seattle claiming Jarrod Smith

"Jarrod Smith (Toronto FC)- There was absolutely no bigger mistake in the expansion draft than taking Smith. Why? Well, for one he was the wrong Smith to take from Toronto (Johann Smith was the right one). Secondly, sources tell me TFC had every intention of waiving Jarrod Smith anyway so Seattle essentially wasted one of its 10 picks on a player it could have claimed off waivers a few hours later. Third, after taking Jaqua did Seattle really need another big forward, particularly one who proved largely ineffective in Toronto?"

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/a-closer-look-at-the-mls-expansion-draft.html#more

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by loyola

[

It was onside (50-50), I frozed it on my TV after the game and it was a close call but onside.

I did the same and reached a different conclusion. I think I have superior pause button on my machine. ;)

And yes I'm sure Lars looked somewhat embarassed as he still should have stopped it but if I could hear the whistle in my living room before the ball reached him so could he. Difficult to put this gaffe at the same level as the Onstad one, and though I agree Lars certainly wasn't a saviour for the team, he did constitute an improvement in WCQ once he was put in.

quote:Originally posted by masster

Well back to the Expansion Draft - Here are Ives' thoughts on Seattle claiming Jarrod Smith

"Jarrod Smith (Toronto FC)- There was absolutely no bigger mistake in the expansion draft than taking Smith. Why? Well, for one he was the wrong Smith to take from Toronto (Johann Smith was the right one). Secondly, sources tell me TFC had every intention of waiving Jarrod Smith anyway so Seattle essentially wasted one of its 10 picks on a player it could have claimed off waivers a few hours later. Third, after taking Jaqua did Seattle really need another big forward, particularly one who proved largely ineffective in Toronto?"

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/a-closer-look-at-the-mls-expansion-draft.html#more

[nelson] HAHA!! [/nelson]

I just want to point out something that was said about the MLS high average of goals per game.

Here's the GPG average for the last 4 seasons

2007: 2.66

2006: 2.62

2005: 2.87

2004: 2.61

Here's the EPL:

06-07: 2.45

05-06: 2.48

04-05: 2.57

03-04: 2.66

So far this season, the Bundesliga and La Liga have higher GPG average than the MLS. I'm not really sure we can say the MLS is giving a free pass to bad keepers....

Archived