Todd Dunivant

Brian Edwards

Amado Guevara

Kevin Harmse

Julius James

Tyrone Marshall

Carl Robinson

Marvell Wynne

While the protection of Dichio is somewhat questionable given his hinting of retirement, I am completely bewildered that we would protect Edwards & James under any circumstances, particularly with Sutton counting as a domestic for Seattle as well and with so many better options to protect than James (who would count as an international as much as Rosenlund, Ricketts and Nana would, three players I would protect over James). TFC can only lose one player though, and you'd have to think that they'd be tempted by Johann Smith being available, or possibly Carlos Ruiz.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can sort of understand not protecting Sutton as Seattle already has their keeper. But Seattle could still draft him and then trade him to someone else. Although who else really needs a goalie? But if you look at the unprotected lists of all the teams, you will also seen names like Onstad and Hartman. So TFC wasn't the only team that gambled and left their main keeper unprotected.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-expansion-protected-lists.html

I don't understand protecting James.

I also think leaving Ricketts available is not a smart idea. He is a fan favourite and team is using him like crazy in their marketing. It would look really bad if they lost him.

That being said, if I'm Seattle, I would probably take Johann Smith from that list.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think tfc shouldn't have protected Brian Edwards. I can't see Seattle picking a keeper with Casey Keller.

Unprotected

Brian Edwards

Elkinson, Kilian

Freeman, Hunter

Gala, Gabe

Gaudet, Derek

Melo, Joey

Tyrone Marshall

Julius James

Ruiz, Carlos

Smith, Jarrod

Smith, Johann

Sutton, Greg

Velez, Marco

protected:

Chad Barrett

Jim Brennan

Danny Dichio

Todd Dunivant

Attakora, Nana

Amado Guevara

Kevin Harmse

Rosenlund, Tyler

Ricketts, Rohan

Carl Robinson

Marvell Wynne

Maybe not Todd Dunivant or Harmse but I am sure we are pretty safe, I hope Ruiz gets picked

Johann Smith would be Seattle's logical choice from what I can see. Sutton could be valuable as trade bait only, but he seems like the next possible pick. I don't see anyone else that is appealing. I'd love to see them take Ruiz off TFC's hands but I'm guessing they are too smart for that.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

if they take Greg Sutton im going to go nuts

Sutton is by far the best goalie in MLS and the best Canadian goalie

you are out of your mind or being totally facetious.....Sutton is no where near the best GKs in MLS. he's a very average keeper. He's does some things quite well but he's very mediocre in other areas.

I would suspect there is little risk of losing Sutton. Seattle is more likely to pluck an outfield player off TFC's roster (Johann Smith looks like the only real possibility) rather than Sutton. Furthermore, if Sutton is claimed and TFC needs a Canadian keeper, they can make a play for Stamatopolous, who proved to be no worse than Sutton and should be able to be lured back to Canada.

IMO, Edwards was protected because he's cheaper and American and thus a more valuable GK in an expansion draft. He'd be a fine backup to Keller in Seattle. Plus, Edwards might be an asset in some trades that Mo might be working on.

As for Julius James, even though I don't rate him at all, he's a young defender who many people seem to believe has lots of upside despite struggling mightily last season in limited action. If he was available, he'd be taken...you can count on that. While I might not shed a tear, losing you 2008 1st Round draft pick would be heavily second guessed.

Sutton is paid way too much money to be a backup keeper in the MLS salary cap system. The only way I could see Seattle claiming him is if they had a trade deal lined up for him already. That also seems unlikely to me as he is a pretty average starting MLS keeper in my books. It is a bit risky but probably not that bad a move to not protect him. The worrying thing for TFC fans must be that that protected list is a pretty weak starting lineup in many areas. If this team is going anywhere next year about half of the protected list should be on the subs bench at the start of next season.

I would assume that we're missing all of the background, strategic information to really make heads or tails of this list. Unless someone gets insider information regarding transfer and contract plans, this list will remain unusual and far from most people's first choice.

Hopefully TFC has more educated and better scouted transfer plans for next season. If they don't make the playoffs next year, support might finally begin to suffer.

[Ridiculously biased and uneducated comment that pisses everyone off here].

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

I can't believe no one likes Greg Sutton! he is sooooo good. I am serious, I think losing him will be a huge mistake and cost us big. He's played great, a couple minor mistakes, but our center backs were the worst in MLS and he's been left for dead 100 times only to save our a*ses

It's not that we don't like him. He is a good shot stopper but he does have some shortcomings that are problematic. His ball distribution for example. Also, his gaffs.

Yes, he made some brilliant saves this year but those gaffs really did hurt us.

quote:Originally posted by SouthAfricaOrBust

Well he didn't punch a corner in his own net a la Onstad, so he has that going for him.

The irony is that Onstad is a much better keeper than Sutton regardless of the costly mistake vs Jamaica. When you rate players you have to be able to judge them on a lot of games not just one play.

quote:While the protection of Dichio is somewhat questionable given his hinting of retirement, I am completely bewildered that we would protect Edwards & James under any circumstances, particularly with Sutton counting as a domestic for Seattle as well and with so many better options to protect than James (who would count as an international as much as Rosenlund, Ricketts and Nana would, three players I would protect over James).

I think Julius James actually has a green card although I agree he shouldn't have been protected. Sadly, I suspect Mo Johnston didn't want to put a dent in his reputation where the draft is concerned by leaving his top pick in 2008 unprotected. I think you underestimate Brian Edwards, however. There was a reason why he was called up by the US recently after all. Without that callup I suspect they might have risked leaving him unprotected.

Relax Sutton isn't going anywhere and unfortunately either is Ruiz.

Seattle has their keeper and with the salary cap not a chance your backup keeper is going to be paid 150k.

Ruiz? Who is going to pay 350k for him?

To be honest if I were a smart expansion team I'd grab a young promising player like Johann, Nana or Gabe. Probably in that order.

Things may not be that simple. Remember the deal Mo Johnston did with Dallas where Adrian Serioux was concerned or with Real Salt Lake where Jason Kreis was concerned? Seattle could draft a player like Sutton either to trade him back or trade him on given that unlike the Earthquakes last year they have the added advantage of being able to promote players from their USL-D1 team. Worth noting that TFC may not be sorry to see Sutton go, however, judging by this rumour from the normally reliable SoccerByIves:-

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/11/mls-cup-the-rumor-mill-recap.html

One of the hottest commodities in the MLS trade market is Real Salt Lake goalkeeper Chris Seitz. The U.S. youth national team standout is stuck as Nick Rimando's back-up and teams from Los Angeles to Toronto FC have expressed strong interest in his services.

Where both Sutton and Ruiz are concerned it is also worth noting that Seattle could potentially renegotiate the salary terms:-

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20081024&content_id=198758&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Right to Renegotiate

- Seattle will have the right to renegotiate a drafted player's salary (either up or down) without having to place such player on waivers or giving his previous Team a right of first refusal.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The irony is that Onstad is a much better keeper than Sutton regardless of the costly mistake vs Jamaica. When you rate players you have to be able to judge them on a lot of games not just one play.

Statistically ( for 2008), there is little to distinguish between the two. Onstad has the better GAA but Sutton faces a ton more shots and has a better save %.

http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/index.jsp?club=mls&year=2008

GOALKEEPING LEADERS

PLAYER TEAM GP MIN SHTS SVS GA GAA W-L-T SHO

Pat Onstad HOU 24 2098 100 76 24 1.03 10-4-9 7

Jon Busch CHI 30 2700 155 122 33 1.10 13-10-7 10

William Hesmer CLB 29 2610 130 97 33 1.14 17-6-6 10

Bouna Coundoul COL 17 1530 75 54 21 1.24 6-8-3 5

Joe Cannon SJ 30 2700 162 124 38 1.27 8-13-9 9

Kevin Hartman KC 30 2700 156 117 39 1.30 11-10-9 10

Nick Rimando RSL 30 2700 135 96 39 1.30 10-10-10 8

Dario Sala DAL 28 2520 129 92 37 1.32 8-8-12 7

Brad Guzan CHV 15 1350 68 48 20 1.33 6-5-4 4

Matt Reis NE 28 2485 145 107 38 1.38 11-11-6 6

Greg Sutton TOR 24 2160 151 116 35 1.46 7-10-7 6

Jon Conway NY 28 2520 140 98 42 1.50 9-10-9 7

Louis Crayton DC 12 1080 62 43 19 1.58 3-6-3 4

Zach Wells DC 17 1530 84 56 28 1.65 8-8-1 1

Preston Burpo COL* 13 1170 61 37 24 1.85 5-6-2 3

Steve Cronin LA 22 1935 136 92 44 2.05 6-9-6 2

Minimum: 900 minutes played

SAVES PERCENTAGE

PLAYER TEAM GP SAVES SOG PCT

Jon Busch CHI 30 122 156 78.2

Joe Cannon SJ 30 124 166 74.7

William Hesmer CLB 29 97 132 73.5

Greg Sutton TOR 24 116 160 72.5

Pat Onstad HOU 24 76 105 72.4

Kevin Hartman KC 30 117 162 72.2

Matt Reis NE 28 107 150 71.3

Dario Sala DAL 28 92 131 70.2

Bouna Coundoul COL 17 54 77 70.1

Nick Rimando RSL 30 96 140 68.6

Minimum: 40 saves

TEAM TOTAL SHOTS AGAINST

TEAM W L T 1st 2nd/OT TOT

Colorado Rapids 11 14 5 126 152 278

Houston Dynamo 13 5 12 140 164 304

Chivas USA 12 11 7 143 179 322

Chicago Fire 13 10 7 167 179 346

Real Salt Lake 10 10 10 152 196 348

D.C. United 11 15 4 156 195 351

New York Red Bulls 10 11 9 162 199 361

Kansas City Wizards 11 10 9 184 179 363

San Jose Earthquakes 8 13 9 162 208 370

FC Dallas 8 10 12 165 208 373

New England Revolution 12 11 7 164 220 384

Los Angeles Galaxy 8 13 9 169 220 389

Toronto FC 9 13 8 187 202 389

Columbus Crew 17 7 6 180 211 391

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

Ruiz? Who is going to pay 350k for him?

Hopefully not TFC next year.

BTW, I wasn't expecting that Seattle would draft & keep Sutton, but rather that trade him to a team that needs a starting keeper - which is what TFC would need if that should happen - and get something in return that they otherwise couldn't find in the expansion draft. Edwards isn't starting material IMO, at least not until he starts to show drastic improvement in reacting to shots that are fired at him.

Archived