U20 - GM2 CAN vs CON (R)

Bill Ault

Currently 2-0 for Canada but seriously this is like watching two division two senior women's sides play... and that may be an insult to some senior women's teams.....

Maddeningly frustrating to watch us to play so poorly despite the result against a team that is physically, technically and psychologically not our equal (for now)...

Japan with a good win against Germany gives us a chance to win a spot in the quarters with a win over the Germans.

Most W-Leagues I've seen (maybe we're spoiled here in Ottawa) are far superior to this... obviously there are clunkers in the W-League as well but usually at least one team is worth watching...

Update: Foligno makes it 3-0 Canada with 13 minutes left and sets up the winner take all match with Germany.

I know a player on the team who started with the Durham District program with a highly respected Coach 7 years ago. Since then, she was on the outside looking in with the Provincial program but managed to 'stay on' with the look of another highly respected individual who has since left the OSA.

Since that point, she has trained at the OSA with several brilliant Coaches who have given her skills, tactics and knowledge of the game. What she brought that can't be taught is heart, drive and the determination to succeed.

Despite sacrificing so much time and effort over so many years (4 times per week, 160kms per trip) she was overlooked and had to request an invite from Mr. Birada to attend the first training camp in January. Mr Birada saw something that kept her there.

That player is my daughter and I am very proud of her accompishments playing 90 minutes of every game in CONCACAF and in Chile. From all the uphill battles, she has showed more to me in her determination to never give up. They speak of the Canadians size, she doesn't fit the bill.

You all might want to critisize the Canadian struture, the player's committment, the Coaching ability and the lack of money. I'm here to tell you that the product on the field is not for the lack of effort.

quote:Originally posted by inthegame

I know a player on the team who started with the Durham District program with a highly respected Coach 7 years ago. Since then, she was on the outside looking in with the Provincial program but managed to 'stay on' with the look of another highly respected individual who has since left the OSA.

Since that point, she has trained at the OSA with several brilliant Coaches who have given her skills, tactics and knowledge of the game. What she brought that can't be taught is heart, drive and the determination to succeed.

Despite sacrificing so much time and effort over so many years (4 times per week, 160kms per trip) she was overlooked and had to request an invite from Mr. Birada to attend the first training camp in January. Mr Birada saw something that kept her there.

That player is my daughter and I am very proud of her accompishments playing 90 minutes of every game in CONCACAF and in Chile. From all the uphill battles, she has showed more to me in her determination to never give up. They speak of the Canadians size, she doesn't fit the bill.

You all might want to critisize the Canadian struture, the player's committment, the Coaching ability and the lack of money. I'm here to tell you that the product on the field is not for the lack of effort.

Allysha is one of the girls that excels in the team and you are rightfully proud of her. Judging from some of the comments I think I am alone in this, but I have seen excellent soccer, skills and teamwork in the world cup. Far better than in previous competitions, specially from the Asian teams. Canada is Canada, and things will not change anytime soon. But that does not mean there isn't talented players around, they just need someone who understand the game to scout them and a coach to guide them. I hope your daughter enjoys her time there and the playing along side top girls for other countries.

quote:Originally posted by inthegame

I think we all can agree with that, the question that arrises ... and you should know how lucky you are .. what if your daughter had lived in Sudbury or Thunder Bay or anyone of a number of other communties, what is there are five or ten other players with her size, heart and work ethic but the OSA never gets out to see them .. and the player has to call the coach to get a call to a tryout ?

Elite sport is not easy, and it takes years to achieve, what most of commnents on this sight are about is seeing the huge potentional for success and not understanding why we are not holding our own or progressing ?

The answers most of us have is the individuals coaching and making decisions are not competent have been around far to long and hire/appoint new people who are just like them.

Surely as a parent you have been in the maelstrom of OSA player politcs .. can you really say the process was fair to your daughter even as she achieved and made the national team ?

• 2 weeks later...

Trillium,

Alysha Chapman has been on EVERY provincal team at the OSA. She was at the 2005 Canada Games for ONTARIO. She always had a good word put in for her by ALL of her coaches at National Training Centre Ontario. The problem is as mentioned by her father she was still overlooked by the CSA even when the U17 National coach highly recommended her. She had to write Birarda for an invitation even though the OSA and NTCO highly recommneded her. Why did that happen?

Archived