Canada vs Jamaica (R)

loyola

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by nolando

how so?

Was this how that cycle finished?? Im asking becuase I wasnt yet a derenged masochist that I became in later years.

October 9, 1988, Guatemala City, Guatemala - Guatemala 1 - 0 Canada

October 15, 1988, Vancouver, Canada - Canada 3 - 2 Guatemala

The aggregate score was tied 3-3, and Guatemala advanced to the tournament due to the away goals rule.

Sounds like a respectable exit to me.

This was the first round (the same as our Belize games in 2004 and SVG this year). So we played 2 games in 1990...Worst result ever in term of where we ended, but our opponent weren't weak either.

quote:Originally posted by JamboAl

^ I'd love to get Sven too but the CSA has no $ at all. I'd be surprised if they can afford to sack Mitchell.

This is the irony of this board...people wants Sven???

Have you seen Mexico results??? He qualify Mexico to the Hex on goals differential with arguably the best team in CONCACAF....

October 9, 1988, Guatemala City, Guatemala - Guatemala 1 - 0 Canada

October 15, 1988, Vancouver, Canada - Canada 3 - 2 Guatemala

The aggregate score was tied 3-3, and Guatemala advanced to the tournament due to the away goals rule.

The worst part is we spotted them two goals. Dolan was useless. We had a feverish comeback and took the lead. Compounding the misery was Mexico was booted out for cheating at a junior tourney. The US was still weak and there was nobody else. We could have had a great chance in the hex.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Have you seen Mexico results??? He qualify Mexico to the Hex on goals differential with arguably the best team in CONCACAF....

I don't get it either. Sven's record in Concacaf is nothing to write home about either, and that includes a fairly lucky and dubious 2-2 draw in Canada.

Agreed. I guess I was getting carried away. Sven isn't God by any stretch but we are comparing Mitchell to SGE. I know who i'd rather have. How many Mexicans would want Mitchell instead?

We really need a decent manager who can select the right squad and play proper tactics, as well as motivate the team! I think Mitchell only was able to do the first point right! It's going to be a tough task to find the right guy, and given their history, the CSA probably won't! I just feel we could have been so much better this time with a quality manager! In saying all this, even with Sven or Alex Fewrguson we still might not have advanced from this group, this is CONCACAF!

We really need a decent manager who can select the right squad and play proper tactics, as well as motivate the team! I think Mitchell only was able to do the first point right! It's going to be a tough task to find the right guy, and given their history, the CSA probably won't! I just feel we could have been so much better this time with a quality manager! In saying all this, even with Sven or Alex Fewrguson we still might not have advanced from this group, this is CONCACAF!

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well Johnson, Ledgerwood, Hainault and de Jong will be around next cycle. Edgar has not done SFA to deserve a sport over any of those players. You could argue against Cann but he seems to be a pet project of DM.

I get that feeling, too.

Also I guess I was a little disappointed that Grande didn't see the field because he could have provided some of the leadership he has shown with the Impact's CONCACAF run. Didn't look like we had too much playing-making savvy having the likes of Pozniak and Harmse in the middle of the park, so I am not surprised in the least by the result at full-time.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well Johnson, Ledgerwood, Hainault and de Jong will be around next cycle. Edgar has not done SFA to deserve a sport over any of those players. You could argue against Cann but he seems to be a pet project of DM.

I get that feeling, too.

Also I guess I was a little disappointed that Grande didn't see the field because he could have provided some of the leadership he has shown with the Impact's CONCACAF run. Didn't look like we had too much playing-making savvy having the likes of Pozniak and Harmse in the middle of the park, so I am not surprised in the least by the result at full-time.

Jeez you guys are a big help. This is a depressing night on many fronts, what should we do? How about discussing going out on the away goals to Guatemala in 1988 at the first hurdle when Mexico was kicked out of the tournament and we had just beaten Peru away and beat Chile at a neutral site? You're just sadists.

That may have been the most painful WCQ exit of my life.

This year sucked, but we knew it was going to be hard. We had to be near perfect and we weren't anywhere close.

Roll onto February and hopefully a new manager and a new outlook.

cheers,

matthew

Hey guys just got in and I've been reading through this thread, am I right that David Edgar hasn't seen the pitch at all?? I just can't understand that, why make him come all the way to Jamaica just to leave him on the bench in favour of a guy like Cann, nothing against him but come on..

WOW am I stunned! NOT by the loss but rather by the ignorant coaching. We all knew it was a young, inexperienced team that likely would struggle tonight but why call edgar, begovic, jackson and jakovic and not play any of them. If you are building towards the future then try the players out. Additionally, if we were losing most of the game, then common sense would say try to make adjustments during the game. Is there any excuse to not using your entire amount of three subs during a game in which you are getting worked over solidly (CSA website only shows two changes). Money or no money Mitchell has to go. I also started wondering tonight why the CSA has stayed with a canadian coach for the men's program but had absolutely no problem going after a proven winner and experienced international coach when they hired Evan to coach the women's program. I sure hope that no matter what happens that we don't disappear for the next year until the gold cup like we have in previous wcq cycles. We need to play ever available date whether it is in europe against teams who have a bye during their campaigns or against concacaf countries who were eliminated during this round. We need to be active but i bet we won't be playing on the date when the hex starts.

Mexico's results are disappointing, but I think Mexico is a little overrated in our region. Coming into this qualifying campaign, the general sentiment was that no team in our group was a lock to qualify for the Hex, and that included Mexico. Mexico may have a killer home field advantage, but it plays like utter ****e on the road - all it has to show for three away games is a single point against Canada! I would be quite surprised if Mexico beat out the US for top spot in the Hex.

EDIT: To this day I'm not used to how this MB automatically censors swearing. On the RPB's board, I'm pretty sure my above post would be without asterisks.[:P]

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Seems like Harmse was a leader out there. He's got character, thats for sure.

What a horrible way to end the campaign though. We should never lose 3-0 to Jamaica, not ever.

I found the most telling part of the article was this:

"Canada kept Jamaica honest by attacking whenever they got the opportunity, with Gbeke and Kevin Harmse running hard and creating some nervous moments for the fans. Ironically, it was this freedom that led to their downfall on Jamaica's first goal at the 20th minute, when they were caught out on a swift counter play."

Great, done in by another a counter attack. Twice at home vs Honduras, once on Costly's unopposed midfield run and strike in the away fixture. I wish I could have seen the game for myself.

Archived