Sportsnet Boycott.

Robert

Today is our darkest day. After having been eliminated from World Cup qualifying, Canada plays its final match today, and Sportnet, the broadcaster who successfully bid for the rights to televise these matches, has decided once again not to give Canadian soccer fans one final opportunity to see their team in action. Out of the eight qualifying matches that Canada played during this campaign, this is not the first game that Sportsnet has refused to broadcast. Most of the games that were televised were either done so on tape-delay basis, or you had to go out and obtain the necessary equipment to watch a live digital feed of these games. Voyageurs have sent countless communications to Sportsnet, only to be brushed off in a rude and uncaring manner.

The time to make sure this doesn't happen again four years hence starts now. Obviously there's money to be made off of these games, or the CSA would not bother to enter Canada into this competition. However, equally obvious is the fact that the amount of money received from the broadcast rights is only enough to line the pockets of those who make all the important decision at the CSA. We have to make sure that Sportsnet will not even want to consider bidding for the next World Cup games that Canada participates in. So what can we, the Voyageurs, accomplish that and prevent this totally unacceptable senario from happening again? I believe we need to be heard by those who matter. Not the CSA, not Sportsnet, but the ones who hand over those large amounts of money to those enemies of Canadian soccer. The sponsors with the mula.

So how do we proceed? Personally, I will refuse to watch Sportsnet during the hours that Canada plays today and notify the corporations that advertise on Sportsnet that I am doing so. I know that this in it self is an insignificant act. However, if we organize collectively and select a primetime Sportsnet broadcast each week that we refuse to watch, and electronically notify Sportsnet's advertisers that we are doing so and their advertising dollars are failing to reach us, then eventually as our movement grows the message will get through.

I remember the old days where tsn was the network to watch...forget this sportsnet and cbc crap and how they are now pro-soccer....cbc only went for tv ad revenue based on the fact that they finally awoke to see how many canadians were into the last worldcup and as for sportsnet....don't get upset now.....from the start the only soccer that was important was soccer saturday or whatever they call it....they only think that the english game is the only soccer that canadians are interested in. Sad thing is tsn is starting to go that way too. On a given champions league week, every game seems to have to involve an english team. If it wasn't for the internet and access to speciality channels, supports of teams outside of england would never see their teams. Lucky there is now TSN2 (got to watch juv-real madrid instead of english soccer lol). The CSA needs to find a network that will show each important game live. Maybe they need to accept less money to get that assurance but hey if people see your team, maybe they will buy tickets, maybe they will buy shirts. Other nations seem to do it. It is no secret that major soccer countries do it. In Italy, Rai covers every game, friendly or w/e. Also why is it that bell offers ppv of english NT matches but the CSA can't go to bell and have them pick up the feed from another network. Big deal if we have an announcer do play by play from a studio. The CSA could make a deal with Bell and perhaps share some profits. It might be tough to get the desired audience turnout at first, but they could package it with the english games to get the numbers up.

I know these ideas may have problems being implemented but why does it seem that more ideas...good or bad come from voyagers and other soccer fans than the people working for the CSA.

How is it Sportsnets problem that the CMNT is a complete joke?

They have a responsibility to sell advertising, especially in todays tight economic climate. Just look at CTV and Global. I'd love to watch the game this evening but I certainly understand why they aren't airing it. Maybe when we beat a team bigger than Guam things will change. Until then don't expect alotta media coverage.

How is it Sportsnets problem that the CMNT is a complete joke?

They have a responsibility to sell advertising, especially in todays tight economic climate. Just look at CTV and Global. I'd love to watch the game this evening but I certainly understand why they aren't airing it. Maybe when we beat a team bigger than Guam things will change. Until then don't expect alotta media coverage.

I blame them. I blame them at least 50%.

With 4 digital feeds SportsNet could have had this match on a digital channel and no one, absolutely no one, who didn't have the digital package would ever have to watch it. And with the same program on multiple digital channels the case for low viewership numbers harming SportsNet advert revenue becomes irrelevant. Anyone with the digital package gets all the broadcast regions in addition to their local one. If they want to watch hockey they simply flick the remote to a different region to watch hockey. The hockey numbers become concentrated in one digital region instead of being spread over two digital regions, but they will still remain the same aggregate number.

Unless of course some of those digital subscriber see a Canada WCQ on and decide to tune into that instead.

So yeah. I've got plenty of blame to throw at SportsNet. As long as they're showing the same broadcast on multiple digital channels they can make no argument about low viewership numbers. By showing the same programing on multiple digital channels they are always hurting their own viewership numbers. And that holds true no matter whether they choosing not to show WCQ football, snooker, motorcross or whatever.

What on earth is wrong with people? Commercial TV outlets are in business to MAKE money, Sportsnet included. In case you haven't realised it soccer is not a sport of great interest in Canada. Just because you/myself like it doesn't mean it is popular.

Ok let's say you and 0.5% of the market, like to buy a certain brand of pasta and Safeway/Sobeys/Loblaws only carry the brands that 99.5% like. Even though Safeway/Sobeys/Loblaws had exclusive rights to distribute your brand of pasta, would you protest? No, you would understand the economics.

TV is business not a charity. I wager one curling/figure skating (name your sport) weekend attracts more viewers than the entire WCQ campaign.

I just don't get it. Don't compare Canada to the US.The markets are so different. Even though soccer is marginal here, on the same scale, it has millions more viewers. Viewers =$$$$

And yes, this is kind of stuff really annoys me.

I've been going to the same restaurant for years. Every time I arrive I love to dabble in any one of the multitude of selections they have to offer. One day, I happen to really crave the #38 noodle bowl. All day I dream about eating the noodle bowl. After a hard fought day at work, I arrive at Dobson's Happy Greeting Lucky Grill only to find that my precious noodles have been replaced by the more main stream hamburger. I ask to speak to the manager and he explains that the #38 noodle bowl is not the most popular dish and was replaced by the countries #1 food item. Nerveless he thanks me for my comments and decides to take them under consideration. I storm off to another restaurant only to find that the Dobson Grill has exclusivity over the #38 noodle bowl.

I then lament at this injustice to my fellow noodle eaters on the Noodle 99 network forum.

Archived