whats the best way CSL can be professional

FutureStarCSL

Appropriate venues and control over them is the biggest thing that will always hold back the league.

The biggest step forward the league could make would be for some really deep pocketed owners to buy existing teams and invest in infrastructure. Unfortunately the last person who seemed to want to do this was the guy behind the Wizards in Ottawa and he got run off by the league's old boys network who are happy to keep muddling along as they are.

All,

As usual good discussion.

Not sure if this answers your questions, but here are some of strategic directions/goals that will increase the league stature:

1. For the first time we received a weekly televised agreement...800,000 homes could turn to CSL every Friday; we hope to extend that.

2. Further expand in Ontario with strong owners (Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Kitchener, Kingston and Ottawa are among targeted cities).

3. Further expand the international division (in spite of objections, we still beleive such is the best model in the GTA, and has a long term future).

4. Expand West. This is big. Discussions are on-going, and Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Saskatoon and Red Deer are all options. We hope to pull it off for 2010. Maintain position of non-cross over travel (CHL model).

5. Grow the reserve division. This was a big initative in 2008. If it is called the Reserve Division, or CSL2, or 2nd Division, we will see; but the concept is taking shape, and will help us build a stronger bridge with youth soccer and player development.

6. Maintain and unltimately increase our franchise fee. Leagues are measured by good strong ownership groups. Reducing fees, and compromising our standards, will compromise the league.

7. Join the Concacaf Competition. We have been lobbying for a spot in this (for our CSL Champion to be in the mix) for several years. With working relationship with both Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact; we hope this will happen.

8. A stronger relationship, support and endoresement by the CSA.

9. Maintain a position where the majority of our players are paid (unlike any other league in the country).

10. Increase both the league and team's commitment to marketing, ticket sales, sponsorship and public relations. Continue to have attendance increase year to year.

Thanks

Cary

Hi Cary

thanks for your input. It is appreciated.

I would like to make a couple of comments and ask a couple of questions:

quote:Originally posted by CSL Commissioner

1. For the first time we received a weekly televised agreement...800,000 homes could turn to CSL every Friday; we hope to extend that.

This was a great development for the league. It would be great to get the games on all the various Rogers stations across the province to expose more people to CSL (we did not get the games in Mississauga until late in the season, which was a bit frustrating so hopefully Rogers Mississauga will be on board from opening kickoff)

2. Further expand in Ontario with strong owners (Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Kitchener, Kingston and Ottawa are among targeted cities).

good choices....would love to see all of them join, especially Ottawa (I think you could easily have more than 1 team in that hot soccer market).

I Would also love to see teams in Mississauga, Oakville and Burlington (you know...3 of the most important centers for youth soccer in all of Canada on a per capita basis)

3. Further expand the international division (in spite of objections, we still beleive such is the best model in the GTA, and has a long term future).

I've always wanted to know if you have empirical marketing data that proves that the International Division concept is more lucrative for team owners than simply calling teams something like Toronto Portugese or Vaughn Shooters?

The only team that I can see that really benefits from its ethnic heritage links in a tangible way is SWE and I think they would be just as succesful if they were called Toronto White Eagles FC because the links with their core fanbase could still be cultivated just as effectively.

5. Grow the reserve division. This was a big initative in 2008. If it is called the Reserve Division, or CSL2, or 2nd Division, we will see; but the concept is taking shape, and will help us build a stronger bridge with youth soccer and player development.

Creating a full fledged 2nd Division, whether its made up of Reserve Teams only or clubs that join specifically to play in that division is very good for the league. I'm excited to see what comes of this.

I'm very curious to see what develops between TFC and CSL this season now that the MLS Reserve league is dead. I would love see TFC move away from a full amateur academy squad and be able to play its Developmental Contract players in CSL on some sort of loan program

7. Join the Concacaf Competition. We have been lobbying for a spot in this (for our CSL Champion to be in the mix) for several years. With working relationship with both Toronto FC and the Montreal Impact; we hope this will happen.

I support the inclusion of the CSL champion in the Voyageurs Cup Tournament, in theory.

One huge hang up I have is the possibility (remote as it might be) that Canada could be represented internationally by a club with a name like Serbian White Eagles or Italia Shooters (or any club that doesn't appear to represent a Canadian city). I have lots of respect for those two organizations but I would have a huge problem with an ethnic team name next to a Canadian flag on a CONCACAF document. There are ways around it that would be far more palatable to the vast majority of local soccer fans who have serious issues with the international division team names.

8. A stronger relationship, support and endoresement by the CSA.

I think it is overdue for this to happen. I know that there is some support for this among some CSA types but there are a shocking # of people involved with the CSA and vaious PSA's that pooh-pooh senior soccer

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I would like to reiterate BHTC Mike's position. Lack of venue control seems to do wonders from seeing an idea fizzle. According to the owner, The Thunder, for all its gaffes, could not get Brian Timmis (the parking lot next to Ivor Wynne) on the weekend when the Ti-Cats were playing. Not on the same day, but the same WEEKEND. As much as I loved a Thursday/Tuesday night at the park, a Saturday afternoon would've been much nicer and palatable to the sporting public.

I would also like to see an owner who actually has some degree of marketing savvy. 250+ per game in a city of 500k is terrible. Certainly, better promotion needs to take place. Most people had no idea there was a team in the city. It seems like a minor league trapping where someone figures they'll show up with a suitcase of money and just figure the public will flock to 'see what the fuss is about'. But when there's no fuss...

Also, an owner who actually pays their players what they were promised would be lovely too... that would be more professional I suppose.

From a completely non-bias standpoint I think Kingston would be great for expansion :P

Archived