Weird Rumor: Atlanta giving MLS bid???

Luis_Rancagua

Guest Jeffery S.

I really wish i could say more about the bid my club is making, but probably there is more coming out in Miami, even through unnamed sources, than here. Sorry about this, but I think the general ignorance in Europe about MLS plays into this, and of course the fact that the press could care less about MLS as long as Barcelona stays leader in the Liga.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Miami might not have their own stadium deal, but that deal with FIU is almost better than their own stadium. Rent free and they get concession and box revenue. The only thing they don't get is parking. Also its already built, which I tend to think is a much better than a SSS on paper.

Pic of FIU Stadium.

800px-FIU_Stadium.JPG

Its occial the Silverbacks will sit the 2009 season out:

Silverbacks Men Sit Out 2009 Season

ATLANTA- The Atlanta Silverbacks announced today that the Atlanta Silverbacks Men’s professional team will take the 2009 season off.

Due to the state of the economy and the potential of an MLS team coming to town, the men’s pro team has decided to sit the year out while the Silverbacks assess the landscape.

“This was an extremely difficult decision that was prompted by the dynamic events in our economy and the soccer community. We would like to thank all of our fans and partners who have supported the team over the years and hope they continue to come out to the Women’s games,” said Atlanta Silverbacks General Manager, Michael Oki.

The Silverbacks Men had an impressive 2007 season, advancing to the USL League Finals and also received player accolades as David Hayes was named Defender of the Year. In 2008, after a host of injuries and close games, the Silverbacks ended an up-and-down season after being just shy of clinching a playoff spot.

For more information, please call 1-866-GO-BACKS or visit www.atlantasilverbacks.com.

Guest Jeffery S.

That really hurts USL Div 1 for next year, and if Van or Montreal or Portland get into MLS for later on, it creates an atmosphere of decline for the whole league.

Maybe they should make an offer to a few Div 2 teams to bolster the league. Or maybe they should chuck out this complicated mult-division system and seek a way to unify Div 1 and 2. Does that sound reasonable?

IMO, Miami and Montreal are probably the strongest bids financially.

Montreal is strong because of the Saputo connection not because of Gillett's involvement. If Saputo senior wants this to be his legacy, the money is there.

Miami is strong because of Claure's money and business deal making ability. Like Montreal and Gillett's involvment, I think Barca is there more for image and marketing. If Traffic Marketing (Miami FC) comes on board in some form of alliance, the bid even becomes stronger and suddenly has all the soccer academy connections in Latin America being talked about by Laporta.

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

Due to the state of the economy and the potential of an MLS team coming to town

[:0]

Like Keegan said, there's still '09 and '10 before '11... [?]

Hope that's mostly because of the state of the economy.

Mabye it's mostly because of MLS. Why would they sit out the men's team instead of the woman's?

Archived