Weird Rumor: Atlanta giving MLS bid???

Luis_Rancagua

Guys, before you start to lynch me alive, MLS Rumors is now reporting that USL Atlanta Silverback no longer exist...That this could be a sign that Atlanta may have probably been giving the MLS bid over other teams...

Please I need someone here to investigate this rumor NOW. If this is the case then MLS is doing a huge f...ing mistake. I'm not taking any chances. Rumors are rumors, but they still need to be investigated by the main stream media...

I'm now getting paranoid by this rumor. I hope there's no truth to this...Please David Bailey tell me that this is only an evil dream...Please wake me up...

http://www.mls-rumors.net/2008/11/report-usls-atlanta-silverback-no-more.html

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Are you on the MLS Rumours payroll?

Hey!!!! I just hope that this is only an evil dream...I'm now starting to get paranoid...I'm shooting speed...let the evil spirits go away.

On another note, this is what I don't understand about MLS...It was reported in the media that the Atlanta bid is pretty much disorganized under the following statement:

"...Unlike St. Louis, or any of the other expansion bids, Atlanta has really just started to figure out where a team might play. There’s no denying that Arthur Blank (founder of Home Depot) has the money, and Atlanta is the largest U.S. television market without a MLS team. But Blank has really just begun to explore stadium options, and while Kennesaw State University seems interested in potentially housing an MLS team, discussions are in the very early stages, and it’s unlikely that a deal would be in place, let alone an actual stadium in time for the 2011 season..."

If Atlanta gets an MLS franchise, it goes to prove that the league is only interested in groups who are prepared to drop the full $40million on a franchise.

This is why the Ottawa bid should be taken seriously, even if they are a longshot. Melnyk is prepared to pay full freight to get a franchise. My guess is that Melnyk in Ottawa is betting that MLS is only after the money and that they will seriously consider any bidder who is not in the mood for quibbling on the cost of the franchise fee

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

If Atlanta gets an MLS franchise, it goes to prove that the league is only interested in groups who are prepared to drop the full $40million on a franchise.

This is why the Ottawa bid should be taken seriously, even if they are a longshot. Melnyk is prepared to pay full freight to get a franchise. My guess is that Melnyk in Ottawa is betting that MLS is only after the money and that they will seriously consider any bidder who is not in the mood for quibbling on the cost of the franchise fee

That's how Ottawa got into the NHL. They said they'd pay the $50 million with no questions asked. Some of their competitors wanted terms. The NHL said "welcome aboard Senators". Of course the Senators got into trouble fairly quickly and it is only when Melnyk tookover that they became the solid franchise that they are now.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

This is why the Ottawa bid should be taken seriously, even if they are a longshot. Melnyk is prepared to pay full freight to get a franchise.

At least four suitors, according to a quick check with sources (Montreal, St. Louis, Atlanta and Miami) are balking at the fee if Melnyk is willing to pay the full freight it may just happen....

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

That's how Ottawa got into the NHL. They said they'd pay the $50 million with no questions asked. Some of their competitors wanted terms. The NHL said "welcome aboard Senators". Of course the Senators got into trouble fairly quickly and it is only when Melnyk tookover that they became the solid franchise that they are now.

Yes and the difference now is that Melnyk actually has the money unlike the founders of the Senators who did a good song and dance show without having the cash. As a Sens fan I am glad they did it but did they ever pull one over on the NHL. If the priorities of MLS are the expansion fee and a top notch stadium then Ottawa jumps over Montreal and several other teams in the list of likely successful candidates.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, according to the gossip columns of BigSoccer.com, it appears that the USL Atlanta Silverbacks may have suspended operation as a result of the economy, and NOT because of MLS entry...

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=849523

It wouldnt make sense anyways, I mean these current entries don't get in until 2011 why would they fold for 2009 and 2010?

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

If MLS expand to Atlanta I think broadcast footprint reasons will be a major factor in the decision.

I can't argue that broadcasting considerations would be a factor. However, the cynic in me believes the only way a lousy pro sports town like Atlanta gets an MLS franchise is if the prospective owner is willing to pay full pop.

The person I was speaking to mentioned that the Barca Miami bid is also being given very serious consideration, regardless of the lack of stadium.

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

If MLS expand to Atlanta I think broadcast footprint reasons will be a major factor in the decision.

I can't argue that broadcasting considerations would be a factor. However, the cynic in me believes the only way a lousy pro sports town like Atlanta gets an MLS franchise is if the prospective owner is willing to pay full pop.

The person I was speaking to mentioned that the Barca Miami bid is also being given very serious consideration, regardless of the lack of stadium.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Miami might not have their own stadium deal, but that deal with FIU is almost better than their own stadium. Rent free and they get concession and box revenue. The only thing they don't get is parking. Also its already built, which I tend to think is a much better than a SSS on paper.

if that's the deal, it's definitely quite attractive. I would see Miami as Montreal's biggest threat because I'm convinced they are going to go with 1 Eastern Divison team and 1 Western Divison team.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

^nope and by I have heard that if Barca will pay for it they will remove the throw ball lines for every game. Since most of the stadiums in the MLS have artificial turf, I don't think the MLS cares.

Except "most" of the stadiums in MLS don't have artificial turf.

Only BMO Field, Gilette Stadium, Giants Stadium (until September '09 when Red Bull Arena opens) and Qwest Field have artificial turf.

Archived